JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Heru (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Question About English Teaching - 07-30-2009, 01:32 AM

Ok, so I am heading to becoming an English Teacher (in america). It's something I've wanted to do since I was young. I was wondering, how much work experience would I need usually to become a English processor or what job in the field of teaching would get me earning between 40-70k. I know that how much teachers get paid vary wildly country to country, but yeah. Just wondering.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
MisguidedFool (Offline)
New to JF

07-30-2009, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heru View Post
Ok, so I am heading to becoming an English Teacher (in america). It's something I've wanted to do since I was young. I was wondering, how much work experience would I need usually to become a English processor or what job in the field of teaching would get me earning between 40-70k. I know that how much teachers get paid vary wildly country to country, but yeah. Just wondering.
well I don't know how accurate this is, however I do know that you have to have graduated from high school, to work in an elementary school you are required to present proof of a bachelors degree, in order to officially become a teacher in some states you must become a student teacher first and experience a classroom environment.And Lastly a teaching license.

However as for the pay rates here, I cannot say. The starting salary tends to vary between schools, Grade Level (I.E. 1-5, or 6-9, and in some cases it tends to function on elementary, Junior High, and High school.) Sometimes it tends to help if you are a part of a union. In NY, I'm pretty sure the starting salary runs around 50,000 - 65,000 a year for elementary school teachers.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Heru (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-30-2009, 02:24 AM

I think average was 56k average. I live around nyc so this or nj will probably be where I'm aiming for in the future.

Starting salaries differ so much. I was looking at the UK and it was like £20-30k
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

07-30-2009, 03:50 AM

To be a public school teacher you'll need a minimum of a 4 year degree in education. A masters degree would be better, and would make you eligible for higher pay.

As for the starting salary of public school teachers, it is nothing close to $50k per year. It's more like $29k to $33k. As I mentioned earlier, you'll be eligible for higher pay if you have a higher level degree, or a degree in either math or science.

Teachers get regular increases in pay, and in time you can earn a decent living. However, in many places right now teachers are being laid off due to government cutbacks in spending. In Florida (where I used to live) the problem is especially severe.

If you want to make decent money as a teacher, stay in college and get at least a masters degree.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
wasabijuice (Offline)
JF Regular

07-30-2009, 02:38 PM

It all depends on geography and experience.

Last edited by wasabijuice : 09-11-2009 at 05:07 AM.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Heru (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-30-2009, 06:05 PM

I'm going for masters for sure. That was the first thing that occurred to me.

I don't mean to be rude but I was asking about teaching jobs in Japan that make a decent living similar to the usa. Like... an English professor perhaps, but in Japan.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
bELyVIS (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-30-2009, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heru View Post
I'm going for masters for sure. That was the first thing that occurred to me.

I don't mean to be rude but I was asking about teaching jobs in Japan that make a decent living similar to the usa. Like... an English professor perhaps, but in Japan.
My friend is an English professor in Japan at a university. I'm not sure what he makes, but I think it isn't too high since his wife works and he is always doing side jobs. He does love it though and loves having a lot of time off. If you make enough to live off of, sometimes money isn't as important as happiness.

The World's only Belly Dancing Elvis Impersonator!
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Guigoo (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via MSN to Guigoo Send a message via Skype™ to Guigoo
07-30-2009, 09:15 PM

i'm an english teacher and i hold several international certificates and diplomas such as Cambridge's CELTA which means i'm able to teach overseas. I'm interested in teaching in Japan.

I'd like to know how much schools, courses usually pay in Tokyo. Thnks
(#9 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

07-31-2009, 01:35 AM

Most ALT and conversational schools in Japan pay about 250k yen per month (about $2500 USD) to start. Public schools will pay about 350k yen for certified teachers who are reasonably skilled in Japanese (this varies according to qualifications), and universities pay upwards of 400k yen per month, though a minimum of a masters degree is generally required.

Even the minimum pay of 250k is not bad when you consider the usual workweek is less than 30 hours, and that the cost of living in most of Japan is actually quite low. On the other hand, 250k will not go very far in Tokyo or Osaka.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
GTJ (Offline)
Defeater of Weaboos

Send a message via Skype™ to GTJ
07-31-2009, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sangetsu View Post
On the other hand, 250k will not go very far in Tokyo or Osaka.
Well, that all depends on how frivolous you are

Personally, I make it in Osaka on a little less than ¥100,000 per month. But I'm frugal as heck; I cook a lot of my own meals (love cooking), and my rent plus utilities is usually under ¥50,000. But I can see how it would get tight.

You aspiring teachers just need to hold back from buying all the goodies as soon as your paycheck lands in your pocket! Though I'm one to talk... I have NO REGRETS about buying that Lumix camera which took out most of a month's pay! None! Hahaha!