JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
cloa513 (Offline)
JF Regular

Teaching english resources - 08-06-2009, 03:51 AM

I am going to Japan (Saitama to live with girlfriend's family to live and seek probably english teaching work) and my mother is experienced teacher and she has a ton of resources. What sort of stuff is most valuable i.e. hardest to obtain. Children's books whether fairy tales or other, children's dictionaries, pages with pictures of words with the same sound and other teaching resources.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
trunker (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-06-2009, 04:58 AM

you'll be able to find all that stuff here,.... and since you're in saitama, tokyo is only about an hour away by train, and they do have everything there,....

only thing is,.... it'll cost you an arm and a leg.

so bring as much as you can carry. if you're going the teaching route, all that stuff will be valuable. maybe bring a range of materials for different levels?
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

08-06-2009, 02:14 PM

Most of the teaching jobs I see advertised in the Saitama area are ALT positions, meaning "assistant language teacher". Junior high/high schools often hire ALTs to assist regular Japanese language teachers. The regular teachers are knowledgeable in grammar and such, and the ALTs teach the students pronunciation and real-world use.

The English you used in your post was not up to par. Most places in Japan who hire foreign teachers with no experience are going to want a demonstration of your English ability. At the very least, you will be interviewed on the telephone by someone who will be listening carefully to your English, and how well you use it. At most, you will be required to write an essay as well as submit to a telephone interview.

Without looking it up, can you give a samples of sentences in the passive and active voice? Can you give examples of 1st, 2nd, and 3rd conditional sentences? Can you give examples of sentences in various tenses, from past simple to future perfect continuous? How about gerunds and infinitives? What are they? How about phrasal verbs? Separable? Inseparable? Can you give examples of each?

At the places I applied, I was asked the above questions, or was required to complete a test which included them.

Getting a job teaching young children exclusively does not mean you don't need good English. Most childrens schools are run by companies who require prospective teachers to pass a basic English test. Japanese teachers who teach children will usually have to have obtained a decent score on the TOEIC test.

Even if your English is better than that which is shown in your post, you had better start studying now. Better yet, take a TEFL course, it'll be time and money well-invested.

If you do come to Japan, and do need to buy materials, you can find them (and other things you might need) here: FBC, The Foreign Buyers' Club
(#4 (permalink))
Old
cloa513 (Offline)
JF Regular

Thanks for your reply - 08-13-2009, 01:34 PM

Reasonable comments.

I have been learning TESOL. I just happen to have the course work.

Your website is a long way from Saitama- I don't know if I would buy from somewhere if I couldn't look at the product.