JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Banzai (Offline)
日本バンザイ~!

Send a message via MSN to Banzai
Yeah, I was thinking about this... - 09-06-2009, 02:16 PM

I do plan to go for my Bachelors Degree at my University. Still have 3 years to go. I still was wondering about something. Something about working in Japan. Is there a way I can be working there without the education. What I'm saying is that I wouldn't mind working as a low paying job in Japan. Jobs maybe like a store clerk or possibly a laboring job. I really wouldn't mind even working 12 hour days if I was needed to. I'd most likely be living in a very small crowded area, but all that doesn't matter to me.

If I had the money to just go there and make a not so fascinating living, would it be possible? I'd save up enough to keep me safe for atleast 3 months.

Also my other concern is the visa thing. I just want to know if this would be possible.

I've been to Japan before and I know how important money and work can be. I worked up north on the oilfields in Canada and I really do work like a dog. I only sleep 3-5 hours a night.

I just hope for some positive feedback.

>>>SOSDefinition<<<

私は日本語より多く学ぶことが開始されます。

Last edited by Banzai : 09-06-2009 at 02:18 PM.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
09-06-2009, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banzai View Post
I just hope for some positive feedback.
Unfortunately, you`re not likely to get much.
There is a whole thread about this...
Graduate from college if you want to live in Japan.

In other words... It doesn`t matter what kind of conditions, what kind of job you`re willing to work. Without a degree you have little hope of getting a visa...
I mean, think about it - what store is going to spend all the money and time to get a visa for a minimum wage worker when they could find one with no hassle inside Japan...?

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Firebird (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via ICQ to Firebird Send a message via Skype™ to Firebird
09-06-2009, 04:44 PM

If you are from one of the countrys wich have a Working Holiday Visa agreement with Japan than you can! America is not one of this Countrys!

But english speaking countrys include New Zealand, Australia, Canada, Uk and Ireland. Other than that: Germany, France, Denmark and South Korea

Its funny how people assume that its impossible for everyone just because its impossible for Americans. I know that most ppl on this forum are Americans, so Nyorin gave a good answer for most people but i thought i posted about this Visa before...

Edit: Just checked your profile and saw youre from Canada
have a look here Embassy of Japan in Canada - Working Holiday Visa Requirements for Canadian Citizens If you are really going, send me a message, i can send you a link to a place where you might get something to get started.

Back home after 1 year work and travel in Japan and 3 month in Korea: www.teglas.asia (text is in German, but see the pictures!)

Last edited by Firebird : 09-06-2009 at 04:47 PM.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
GTJ (Offline)
Defeater of Weaboos

Send a message via Skype™ to GTJ
09-06-2009, 05:21 PM

Why would you want that kind of lifestyle for yourself, anyway? Nyororin and Firebird covered all the other informational bases so all I have to say is: Japan is not Mecca. It sounds like youre underlying logic might be, "I don't care what I have to do or suffer through as long as I'm in Japan". Truth is, you'd better care, cuz it's not easy even if you're a highly qualified individual with credentials and certifications out the ass. Oh, and unless your Japanese is top notch (I'm talking a solid, working command of sonkeigo and kenjyougo), forget about jobs having to do with dealing with Japanese customers like that convenience store job you mentioned.

With anything involving immigration, keep this in mind:

Their first priority is to protect the country's interests. That usually means keeping the money and jobs for the natives. Therefore, they won't let you in on anything less than a 90 day tourist pass if you don't have a really good reason for it, like you'd be doing something only a foreigner can do (teach English), for example. Any schmuck can work a stock room, and as Nyororin said, for cheaper than you, as the visa is an extra liability.

My advice? Think about going to Japan. Don't think too hard, but set goals for yourself. In the meantime? Finish college. You've got a long, long way to go and a lot can happen in three years.

光る物全て金ならず。
なんてしつけいいこいいけつしてんな。
(#5 (permalink))
Old
spicytuna (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-06-2009, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banzai View Post
If I had the money to just go there and make a not so fascinating living, would it be possible? I'd save up enough to keep me safe for atleast 3 months.
What is it with Japan which would make a youngster like you abandon the best country in the world while forfeiting their education to join the underbelly of Japan and it's workforce of unskilled, uneducated labour?

My suggestion to you is to finish your degree before you even consider going to Japan - even if it's via the Working Holiday program.

If you've ever been to Japan, you should realize just how serious they take post-secondary education over there.

Heck, when I met my last girl (which was through omiyai), her parents grilled not only me about my university/degree but they also wanted to know the education level of my siblings and parents as well!
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Koir (Offline)
Meow.

09-06-2009, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spicytuna View Post
What is it with Japan which would make a youngster like you abandon the best country in the world while forfeiting their education to join the underbelly of Japan and it's workforce of unskilled, uneducated labour?
Because...it's just like anime...

...right, that sounds very silly.

Quote:
Heck, when I met my last girl (which was through omiyai), her parents grilled not only me about my university/degree but they also wanted to know the education level of my siblings and parents as well!
What possible logic is behind that kind of grilling? o_O

Fortunately, there is one woman in this world who can control me.

Unfortunately for you, she is not here.

"Ride for ruin, and the world ended!"
(#7 (permalink))
Old
spicytuna (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-06-2009, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koir View Post
What possible logic is behind that kind of grilling? o_O
She was a Todai grad who's parents/relatives were all professionals in the medical field. I guess they were trying to maintain that lineage in their family.

But let me tell ya, I've gone through many omiyai's and they all want to know my education and salary before we proceed. On the other hand, I usually request tons of pictures of the girl.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Koir (Offline)
Meow.

09-06-2009, 11:15 PM

Quote:
On the other hand, I usually request tons of pictures of the girl.
lol, you rake you

(#9 (permalink))
Old
atheistwithfaith (Offline)
JF Regular

09-07-2009, 01:10 AM

Quote:
She was a Todai grad who's parents/relatives were all professionals in the medical field. I guess they were trying to maintain that lineage in their family.

But let me tell ya, I've gone through many omiyai's and they all want to know my education and salary before we proceed. On the other hand, I usually request tons of pictures of the girl.
Excuse my ignorance, but what is an Omiyai?
(#10 (permalink))
Old
Koir (Offline)
Meow.

09-07-2009, 01:29 AM

I'm willing to guess it's a marriage meeting.