JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
gaillimh (Offline)
New to JF

Where will I live?? - 10-16-2009, 12:42 PM

Hi guys,

I am applying to the JET programme 2010. The application form requires me to put down 3 preferences of places where I would like to live and teach, but having never been to Japan and knowing very few people who have, I would like your advise on where the best place I should go, given the choice!!

I am female in my late 20's, I am loving the japanese history and its unique culture which is drawing me to live and work in Japan.

Thanks a million
Gaillimh

Hi guys,

I am applying to the JET programme 2010. The application form requires me to put down 3 preferences of places where I would like to live and teach, but having never been to Japan and knowing very few people who have, I would like your advise on where is the best place, given the choice!!

I am female in my late 20's, I am loving the japanese history and its unique culture which is drawing me to live and work in Japan.

Thanks a million
Gaillimh

Last edited by gaillimh : 10-16-2009 at 12:44 PM. Reason: post on twice
(#2 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to SSJup81 Send a message via AIM to SSJup81 Send a message via MSN to SSJup81 Send a message via Yahoo to SSJup81 Send a message via Skype™ to SSJup81
10-16-2009, 02:32 PM

Adventures as an ALT or a CIR...

Some placements were mentioned in there.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

10-17-2009, 12:52 AM

What kind of climate do you prefer? It can get very cold in the northern part of the country while weather in the southern part can be mild.

Every part of Japan has it's own charm, and I find it hard to judge one place as being better than another. I haven't yet been to a part of Japan which I disliked.

As part of the JET program, your placement is pretty much a toss of the dice. They'll make an effort to place you in one of the three places you request, but not much of an effort. If there are not positions available in those places, then you could end up anywhere. This isn't a bad thing, it's a good life experience.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
gaillimh (Offline)
New to JF

10-20-2009, 10:25 PM

Thanks very much for your info, appreciated

Hi guys,

I am applying to the JET programme 2010. The application form requires me to put down 3 preferences of places where I would like to live and teach, but having never been to Japan and knowing very few people who have, I would like your advise on where is the best place, given the choice!!

Thanks a million
Gaillimh
(#5 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

10-20-2009, 10:38 PM

80% of people put Tokyo, so I would research other places because the chances of getting Tokyo are slim.

I think the more important question is what type of environment rather than location. I put "metro" number one, but know people that put "country side" without realizing they would literally be hours from civilization in a village of 300 people.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
samurai007 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

10-21-2009, 12:18 AM

If you like History, I'd put Nara. It's very close to Kyoto and Osaka, but a less common choice than those 2 cities, and full of historical sites. Very central location, too.

JET Program, 1996-98, Wakayama-ken, Hashimoto-shi

Link to pictures from my time in Japan
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
10-21-2009, 12:29 AM

If you want to live in or close to a very big city, but realize your chances of getting into the ones that everyone writes... (Tokyo, Osaka, etc) - Try Nagoya. Or even "Aichi". It seems that requesting this area is fairly rare despite it being a huge city within an hour shinkansen from both Tokyo and Osaka, while even closer to Kyoto, Mt. Fuji, etc.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

10-21-2009, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
If you want to live in or close to a very big city, but realize your chances of getting into the ones that everyone writes... (Tokyo, Osaka, etc) - Try Nagoya. Or even "Aichi". It seems that requesting this area is fairly rare despite it being a huge city within an hour shinkansen from both Tokyo and Osaka, while even closer to Kyoto, Mt. Fuji, etc.
Actually it's funny. I requested Nagoya, and got Hyogo.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
10-21-2009, 02:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
Actually it's funny. I requested Nagoya, and got Hyogo.
I`ve never been a JET, but know someone involved in the Japanese side with the placement. (Chubu area)
From my understanding, requesting a specific city will only have them look in that city to see if there are any openings. If there are no openings in the exact locations requested, you`re just tossed in a pot.
That`s why I suggested Aichi - it`s a much much larger area.

When people put down Tokyo, Osaka, and some other big famous city (Kyoto, Sapporo and Fukushima seem to be big ones these days...) the chances of being placed in any of them is fairly low. Even if, say, there is an open spot 2 minutes from the city boundary.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
atheistwithfaith (Offline)
JF Regular

10-21-2009, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
I`ve never been a JET, but know someone involved in the Japanese side with the placement. (Chubu area)
From my understanding, requesting a specific city will only have them look in that city to see if there are any openings. If there are no openings in the exact locations requested, you`re just tossed in a pot.
That`s why I suggested Aichi - it`s a much much larger area.

When people put down Tokyo, Osaka, and some other big famous city (Kyoto, Sapporo and Fukushima seem to be big ones these days...) the chances of being placed in any of them is fairly low. Even if, say, there is an open spot 2 minutes from the city boundary.
I heard as well that aswell as being very oversubscribed, there are actually relatively very few placements in Tokyo because it's already a very internationalised city so there is no great need to hire people through JET.