JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Heru (Offline)
JF Old Timer

More questions about teacing in Japan. - 10-16-2009, 03:05 PM

My last question was a few months ago.

My ultimate goal in school is to get a masters or Phd in school administration, that being said, I was just wondering yesterday night, "Can a foreigner to Japan become the principal of a Japanese school."

I looked around a bit and couldn't find anything on google.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
kyo_9 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via Yahoo to kyo_9
10-16-2009, 04:06 PM

what kind of question is that?
hmm, if the person are qualified enough, then there shouldn't be any problem..
but I think, it's very hard since the person has to accustomed with japanese culture, the language and all stuff~ easily said, once should become a japanese to be the principal~

LiVe Ur LiFe
Don't do drugs!

(#3 (permalink))
Old
Heru (Offline)
JF Old Timer

10-16-2009, 04:26 PM

It does seem like a silly question, but I couldn't find any information at all. I can form the question Japanese to find the requirements but my reading abilities are not that great to fully understand.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Heru (Offline)
JF Old Timer

10-17-2009, 12:03 AM

I was told that foreigners can't be employed fulltime by a public school, is this true?
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

10-17-2009, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heru View Post
I was told that foreigners can't be employed fulltime by a public school, is this true?
There is no rule against a foreigner working full time if he has a regular work visa. Most foreign teachers in Japan are classified as "part-time", as this way the company/school doesn't have supply full-time work benefits.

There are schools in Japan which have foreign principles, but these are private/international schools. It's highly unlikely that a foreigner would be able to get a job as a principle in a public school, though it is entirely possible for a foreigner to become a full time teacher at a public school.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
sarasi (Offline)
JF Old Timer

10-17-2009, 01:37 AM

Sangetsu, I was under the impression that teachers in public schools in Japan are koumuin (public servants), and koumuin must be Japanese citizens. People teaching as ALTs in public schools usually work 29.5 hours- just below full-time. You know non-Japanese people employed fulltime as regular teachers in public schools?

As for becoming the principal, obviously someone has to be an ordinary teacher and work their way up to reach that point, and that can take 20 years or more. Are you sure you will like Japan enough to want to stay that long?
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Heru (Offline)
JF Old Timer

10-17-2009, 03:20 AM

At the university level the "public" service aspect shouldn't be an issue right?
(#8 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

10-17-2009, 03:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heru View Post
At the university level the "public" service aspect shouldn't be an issue right?
If it is a private university, then that is correct.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
Liongale (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via AIM to Liongale Send a message via MSN to Liongale
10-17-2009, 04:22 AM

Remember also that a principal is not a teaching job, it is administrative- it takes a completely different mindset and training. Also especially in a place like Japan, a principal can be the face of the school- so on top of all new qualifications, the board that would get you in that position would want you to be that face. Would a non-Japanese be accepted by not just the board, but the parents of the students?

There are no easy answers to such a question, only harder questions.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

10-17-2009, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liongale View Post
Remember also that a principal is not a teaching job, it is administrative- it takes a completely different mindset and training. Also especially in a place like Japan, a principal can be the face of the school- so on top of all new qualifications, the board that would get you in that position would want you to be that face. Would a non-Japanese be accepted by not just the board, but the parents of the students?

There are no easy answers to such a question, only harder questions.
In a Japanese public school I think it would be very doubtful a foreigner would ever be a principal. The reason is even if a foreigner could work in a public school district (prefecture) for 20+ years, it is traditional in Japan to move teachers around every few years to different schools (this is common in Japan in many industries) so to get the recognition from the prefectural Ministry of Education to go from teacher to administrator to principal would be quite an accomplishment.