JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
jml5083 (Offline)
JF Regular

Financial Aid - 10-29-2009, 02:39 AM

Does anyone know if there are any groups that provide financial aid for persons aspiring to move to Japan and teach in a TESL program?
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

10-29-2009, 03:13 AM

If I'm reading your post right, you are asking if there are organizations which will give you or loan you money to move to Japan to be a teacher. I don't think such organizations exist. The JET program will usually pay for up-front expenses like travel and housing, but with anyone else you are going to have to pay your own way. In fact, most schools and such will require that you do pay your own way (airline tickets, and housing costs), as it is good way for them to verify how serious you are about actually showing up and working at your new job.

In my case, American Express provided me with the means to come to Japan. I charged my plane tickets, and other travel-related expenses on my American Express card. I paid for the tickets with a platinum charge card, and then transferred the balance to a low-interest airline card. Doing this allowed me to get insurance benefits on myself and property during my move, 3 checked bags for free, and free delivery of my bags to my new apartment. I also got double airline miles as well (miles on the card, and miles on my AA frequent flier membership). I could have then paid off the card by making the minimum payments (at a 1.9% rate), but it was easier for me to pay it off quickly.

Of course you need good credit to do what I did, but it's never too early to start building up your credit rating.