JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Air (Offline)
New to JF

What should I consider before moving to Japan? - 11-08-2009, 11:10 AM

Like health care, importing goods from the US, customs, etc? I was in Japan when I was in the military, but my living conditions will be a little different as a regular civilian. I have my income and living expenses worked out (I can tell you my long, miserable story, but I want to focus on my question first), but I was wondering what other precautions I should make before flying over there.

One specific question I have: about how much should it cost to mail a 32x19x17-inch storage bin full of my stuff from the States to Japan?

Thanks for the help in advance.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
wasabijuice (Offline)
JF Regular

11-08-2009, 11:41 AM

The box will probably cost about 3-500$ at USPS, depending on weight, I assume it is heavy. Google Nippon Express, Pelican freight and check with them too. They have deals on cubic meters (volume) shipping. Basically you get like 10 decent sized boxes to ship for about 2000USD.

Are you coming on a tourist visa?
(#3 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

11-08-2009, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Air View Post
Like health care, importing goods from the US, customs, etc? I was in Japan when I was in the military, but my living conditions will be a little different as a regular civilian. I have my income and living expenses worked out (I can tell you my long, miserable story, but I want to focus on my question first), but I was wondering what other precautions I should make before flying over there.

One specific question I have: about how much should it cost to mail a 32x19x17-inch storage bin full of my stuff from the States to Japan?

Thanks for the help in advance.
Japan has a nationalized health care system, so depending on the capacity you will be staying, that will be covered.

The first question is what visa will you be using?
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Air (Offline)
New to JF

11-08-2009, 11:30 PM

UPS quoted me $600 for my storage bin, but I was wondering if I was doing anything wrong. No big deal but I was hoping for a cheaper shipment.

The plan is to finish my school on a military base (I'll use veterans' benefits to cover the costs), get married to my fiancee (gf of 5 years), and share expenses for an apartment. I'll fly in on a tourist visa, but I want to try and find a job on base that would help with sponsorship. If that doesn't work, I can apply for a spouse visa.

I don't have a whole lot of money to play around with right now, so I just want to make sure my bases are covered before I make my travel reservations.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
sarasi (Offline)
JF Old Timer

11-09-2009, 04:54 AM

I'm confused. If you are married to a Japanese national, why not apply for a spouse visa straight away? Far simpler, and there will be no restrictions on time to find a job or what kind of work you can do.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
JayT (Offline)
JF Old Timer

11-09-2009, 05:06 AM

You're on her top 40 but she only got 50 friends!
It's like choosing a cutlass over an 07' Benz!

[<--Nan's heart!]

(#7 (permalink))
Old
Quailboy (Offline)
Been Here Too Long

Send a message via AIM to Quailboy Send a message via MSN to Quailboy Send a message via Yahoo to Quailboy Send a message via Skype™ to Quailboy
11-09-2009, 05:07 AM

Fuck that..I <3 Cutlass's

You haven't dug your hole too deep until it's killed you
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Air (Offline)
New to JF

11-09-2009, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarasi View Post
I'm confused. If you are married to a Japanese national, why not apply for a spouse visa straight away? Far simpler, and there will be no restrictions on time to find a job or what kind of work you can do.
I thought it was easier to apply for a spouse visa in Japan than it is in the US? Either way, I would have to go to Japan on a tourist visa first, right?

If I go to the school on-base, I'm only allowed to enter the building where the classes are held, then leave the base afterwards. If I get base sponsorship through employment, I would get full base privileges.. not that I need it, but it would be an extra convenience. We've planned on getting married either way.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
ozkai (Offline)
X Kyoto

11-09-2009, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Air View Post
I thought it was easier to apply for a spouse visa in Japan than it is in the US? Either way, I would have to go to Japan on a tourist visa first, right?

If I go to the school on-base, I'm only allowed to enter the building where the classes are held, then leave the base afterwards. If I get base sponsorship through employment, I would get full base privileges.. not that I need it, but it would be an extra convenience. We've planned on getting married either way.
Marry her in the US, then apply for your Spouse Visa and head to Japan.

Cheers - Oz
(#10 (permalink))
Old
Air (Offline)
New to JF

11-09-2009, 06:18 PM

Incidentally, she overstayed her tourist visa a few years ago, so it's going to take a lot of work and money for her to enter the US. A lawyer advised her that I should sponsor her once I get a job and a record of steady income. I 've been trying (hard) to get a job in the past year, and I haven't been successful. So instead of her relocating to the US, we both agreed that it would be easier for me to move to Japan, for now, and get married there.