JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Shigeji (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via MSN to Shigeji
Going to college in Tokyo. - 12-07-2009, 10:58 AM

I live in Japan already. In Aomori to be more precise, but i'm moving down to Tokyo next year to finish college. I've only visited a few times so i'm really excited about moving there. Not really used to the fast pace though. Any ideas on what i should look out for or tips to help get me through the transition. As excited as i am, the closer i get to the move the more scared i get.
I'm not going alone by the way. There's going to be at least 4 of us.

Don't wanna live by no one else's design
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Nyico (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via AIM to Nyico Send a message via MSN to Nyico Send a message via Yahoo to Nyico Send a message via Skype™ to Nyico
Smile 12-07-2009, 08:13 PM

All I can say is that I know going to college in Japan is very demanding, but it'll be fun! Besides a college education in Japan is worth way more than an American one and you're not debating your grade with your teacher(s) everyday, you're actually learning. Just don't worry about it!! Try talking with students who already attend the college and find ways to relieve stress from school via ice cream, video games, music, the mall, etc.
Good luck with it all!! ^-^

Whats life without LOVE
It gives one STRENGTH,HARMONY,PEACE,COMPASSION,HOPE...It gives the SOUL a reason to continue LIVING! It gives the soul POWER!! The ULTIMATE POWER the POWER that all search desperately for everyday! When you find it never let go! TREAT it right,GIVE it your undivided attention,ALL of your time,make it HAPPY as it has made you,and REMEMBER realize what you have don't ruerin it CHARISH,TRUST,and RESPECT it for all that it is. Be as ONE!!
(#3 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

12-07-2009, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyico View Post
All I can say is that I know going to college in Japan is very demanding, but it'll be fun!
How do you know this?

Quote:
Besides a college education in Japan is worth way more than an American one
What is your basis for this statement?

Quote:
and you're not debating your grade with your teacher(s) everyday, you're actually learning.
What does this phrase mean?
You are making a lot of sweeping generalizations about the higher education systems in Japan and the US.

Quote:
Just don't worry about it!! Try talking with students who already attend the college and find ways to relieve stress from school via ice cream, video games, music, the mall, etc.
Good luck with it all!! ^-^
Is ice cream a regular stress reliever for Japanese college students? The Japanese college students I knew spent more time drinking beer than eating ice cream. American ones, too, for that matter.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Eureka77 (Offline)
JF Regular

12-07-2009, 09:58 PM

The more friends you make, the better your comfortable in college.

Wish you luck.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
duo797 (Offline)
異議あり!

Send a message via AIM to duo797
12-07-2009, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Besides a college education in Japan is worth way more than an American one and you're not debating your grade with your teacher(s) everyday, you're actually learning.
First point is just not true. That may be the case within the country of Japan, but it certainly isn't within America. Also, I haven't debated a single grade with any of my profs and I've been 'actually learning'. I don't know a single person who has debated for anything more than a point or two on a test. On that point too, why is debating with a prof a bad thing? You should be able to advocate for yourself and look out for your own interests, especially as an adult and college is as good a place as any to develop that school.

To the op: My own experience with college has taught me that you should stay on top of your school work and not wait until the night before an assignment is due to finish it. I'd assume this is a pretty universal truth about college, but you should pay extra attention so you don't have to play catch up like I did the second half of my first semester.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Nyico (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via AIM to Nyico Send a message via MSN to Nyico Send a message via Yahoo to Nyico Send a message via Skype™ to Nyico
12-08-2009, 03:33 AM

I was only speaking in a females point of view for the ice cream thing. But girls and guys both eat ice cream. Its a nice cold refreshing treat thats all.
Everyone has a different experience when it comes to any form of school. I don't know how Shigeji's will play out so I only wished Shigeji luck on it all.
I was only trying to help. School can be stressful though.
Everywhere is different and teachers I've had are dirty like that. They toy with students grades and fail them as they please! Honest!

Whats life without LOVE
It gives one STRENGTH,HARMONY,PEACE,COMPASSION,HOPE...It gives the SOUL a reason to continue LIVING! It gives the soul POWER!! The ULTIMATE POWER the POWER that all search desperately for everyday! When you find it never let go! TREAT it right,GIVE it your undivided attention,ALL of your time,make it HAPPY as it has made you,and REMEMBER realize what you have don't ruerin it CHARISH,TRUST,and RESPECT it for all that it is. Be as ONE!!
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Nyico (Offline)
New to JF

12-08-2009, 03:46 AM

Sometimes people don't feel like drinking all the time and want something different for the moment!
How about people who don't drink or smoke what do you think they do??
I was only appling my opinion just as everyone else. I'm not telling anyone what to do. It's Shigeji's choice not mine! So just apply your opinion and move on already!

Whats life without LOVE
(#8 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

12-08-2009, 04:00 AM

Interesting you choose the most innocuous question to answer.

Tell us how Japanese degrees are worth so much more than American degrees.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
Nyico (Offline)
New to JF

12-08-2009, 06:30 AM

I thought that I answered all questions, comments, and concerns in both of those replys guess not!
How have I offended?
Tell me your main issue with me so I can better myself.
My original attention was never meant to offend anyone so I am sorry to all of those that it did. I've just started posting and I'm already messing up! Sorry Japan Forum!!

Whats life without LOVE
(#10 (permalink))
Old
Nyico (Offline)
New to JF

12-08-2009, 06:32 AM

PM me it if you all must! Of all of your issues with me!

Whats life without LOVE