JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
ELIEN (Offline)
JF Regular

Good Japanese Language Schools In Tokyo. - 01-18-2010, 04:56 AM

I've been researching and there are plenty of Japanese language schools in Tokyo so it's hard to know which ones are good and which ones suck monkey balls.

. . . That's why I'm here.

I need ALL the info I can get.

Thanks in advanced
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Sashimister (Offline)
他力本願

01-18-2010, 09:39 AM

I hear good things about this one.

Tokyo Japanese Language Education Center-JASSO

It has a 72-year history, which is unheard of among Japanese language schools. Unlike many others, it has a dorm as well.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Firebird (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via ICQ to Firebird Send a message via Skype™ to Firebird
01-18-2010, 12:39 PM

I have been in this one for 5 weeks and i think its really good. The homestay was also great and i think the price is reasonable too.

Geos Kudan Institute of Japanese Language & Cultur Tokyo Discount Booking. Japanese Language School in Japan

I took the Conversation Course by the way

Firebird

Back home after 1 year work and travel in Japan and 3 month in Korea: www.teglas.asia (text is in German, but see the pictures!)
(#4 (permalink))
Old
ELIEN (Offline)
JF Regular

01-18-2010, 03:05 PM

Thanks, guys!

@firebird: thus far, how are the classes? challenging?
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Firebird (Offline)
JF Old Timer

01-19-2010, 01:32 AM

Well i have been there last year. I had a bit knowledge before i got there so it was ok. They make a test in the beginning to decide wich level you are. I was level 1 (there is a level 0 as well). In the 5 weeks ive been there we learned the basics, so it was challenging at times and i was happy that a studied a bit before.
The teachers were really good and i thought the level-system worked really well.
I´ve only had 20h a week so i had time to enjoy Tokyo in the afternoons wich was really great. There a quite a few Asian students but usually on the higher levels. The lower levels see more European or American/latin American students.

I just thought the teachers (most of them) were really good, thats why i recommend this school to you. It would be good if you learn a little bit before you go there, especially Hiragana and Katakane if you take the conversation course because you will need it but not specially learn it (or in a really short time)

Have fun!

Back home after 1 year work and travel in Japan and 3 month in Korea: www.teglas.asia (text is in German, but see the pictures!)
(#6 (permalink))
Old
ELIEN (Offline)
JF Regular

01-19-2010, 01:43 AM

I see, I see I'm glad you had a good experience. Why did you go for only 5 weeks, though?
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Firebird (Offline)
JF Old Timer

01-19-2010, 03:32 PM

Well the original plan was 4 weeks but i decided to stay another week because it was fun. I only did 5 weeks because i went to Japan to travel and i don´t really need Japanese other than for travelling. I stayed in Japan a whole year and i worked and travelled. So i´d figured i just need a basic everyday japanese and than get started from there. Because i had already learned a bit before it worked quite well and my Japanese got better while travelling!
Now my japanese is good for a daily use but not really correct (some grammar mistakes). I just wanted people to know what im talking about and have an easy conversation or so and because of that 5 weeks was enough!

(#8 (permalink))
Old
ELIEN (Offline)
JF Regular

01-19-2010, 11:49 PM

Oh okay
Whenever I have the funds available, I'm planning on going to Tokyo to study Japanese. I don't know if I should go for 3 months, 6 months, or a year. I think 3 months isn't sufficient time to learn Japanese, though.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
atheistwithfaith (Offline)
JF Regular

01-20-2010, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELIEN View Post
Oh okay
Whenever I have the funds available, I'm planning on going to Tokyo to study Japanese. I don't know if I should go for 3 months, 6 months, or a year. I think 3 months isn't sufficient time to learn Japanese, though.
Tbh, depending on how much fluency you want and how immersed you are 1 year may not be enough. Spending a year just studying would be pretty darn expensive too...
(#10 (permalink))
Old
ELIEN (Offline)
JF Regular

01-20-2010, 05:12 AM

You're right. It's going to take more than 1 year to be able to master the language.