LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
sarasi (Offline)
JF Old Timer

01-24-2010, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJup81 View Post
I really need to go back to studying it again, but my listening skills are still very weak.

When attempting the JLPT 3 back in 2008, I was weakest in the listening section. I just don't know how I can practice listening.
This is where just being in Japan is going to help you a lot, although if you want to improve your listening quickly/past a certain level you will need to make some effort.

Back when I was in university in my home country I failed the listening section of JLPT 3, because I had never been to Japan or really heard native speakers talk. It took me years to get around to taking level 2, but by that time I had been in Japan 6 years and listening was by far the easiest part of the test. Just hearing people speaking around you, watching TV and listening to the various announcements you hear will start to train your ear in no time.
(#12 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
01-24-2010, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarasi View Post
This is where just being in Japan is going to help you a lot, although if you want to improve your listening quickly/past a certain level you will need to make some effort.

Back when I was in university in my home country I failed the listening section of JLPT 3, because I had never been to Japan or really heard native speakers talk. It took me years to get around to taking level 2, but by that time I had been in Japan 6 years and listening was by far the easiest part of the test. Just hearing people speaking around you, watching TV and listening to the various announcements you hear will start to train your ear in no time.
I have to agree with this. Listening will definitely be the easiest part once you have been in Japan for a while. The level of grammar and vocabulary used in the listening part is far below what will be in the written section. If you`re used to listening to Japanese (as you will be after a bit of time in Japan) it will feel ridiculously easy.

The best way to practice listening is to, well, listen to real life... And participate if at all possible. Outside of Japan, normal everyday boring small talk (in Japanese) is not something you encounter much... But in Japan? Everywhere.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#13 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

01-24-2010, 12:53 PM

Regarding the medical check, I just had to get a full physical. That was a physical, urine and blood check.

Talk to your doctor about getting 6 months of prescription to take with you.