JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
MatthewQueree (Offline)
New to JF

Considering moving to Japan with Wife. - 02-14-2010, 07:05 PM

Hi, first time poster.

For the expats currently, living, working and/or studying abroad in Japan I was wondering to hear your views in immigrating/living in Japan from the United Kingdom.

My wife and I are considering moving to Japan, something I am both excited and nervous about for the obvious reasons including:

Employment
Culture
Lifestyle

My wife and I have been living in the UK for about year and half together and I am currently in the finance business as a Trust administrator, my wife is working as a sushi chef in a local restaurant.

However, my wife misses her friends and family and we have both decided the possibility to move to Japan (even as just a tester). I believe my wife would have no issues gaining employment as she as managerial experience within the fashion/consultant industry in Tokyo, however, my line of work only exists in offshore jurisdictions, Japan not being one of them.

Therefore I have come to terms with the idea of starting over from scratch and just find whatever work may be available.

My level of Japanese is at basic conversation and my reading is competent at Hirigana. I am continuing my studies.

I would be interest to hear your stories and your general opinion in relation to the above and if you have been in a similar position.

all replys appreciated (in context)

Thanks

Matthew
(#2 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

02-14-2010, 07:11 PM

Can we assume your wife is a Japanese citizen?
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Tsuwabuki (Offline)
石路 美蔓

02-15-2010, 06:19 AM

With a spousal visa, granted that your wife is a Japanese citizen, you actually have a lot of options. Your biggest qualification is that you do not have to be visa sponsored by a company. And as far as I am aware (we have a few spouses working in my school district), you can be hired for any job you are capable of performing. This means you could end up working for a company dealing with other immigrants to Japan, and of course, as long as you have a BA, you should be able to find a job teaching English (if that is something you are willing to do).

I would suggest you start looking for a job at the same time your wife is. Explain that you are a spouse, do not require visa sponsorship, what your nationality and native language is, and what your educational background is like.

It may take a while to figure out what you're going to do. Be aware, many of the jobs available to fresh-off-the-boat individuals that are not in the English teaching field are sketchy. I would recommend staying away from any commission based jobs, especially anything having to do with investments or financial accounts. People are skittish, clients are hard to find, commission does not pay the bills.

Also, be aware of your own happiness. There's no sense moving to Japan only to take a job that pays you too little and works you too hard. You won't enjoy what Japan has to offer if you're crammed into a tiny apartment, unable to afford some creature comforts, and never have time to go out because you're always working to make ends meet.

<- AnimeMusicVideos.Org
(#4 (permalink))
Old
MatthewQueree (Offline)
New to JF

02-15-2010, 05:16 PM

thanks for the reply and yes my wife is a Japanese National.

Thanks for the advice and what to steer clear of in the job market. I did however make an error when posting and forgot to mention the all important lack of a BA Degree.

I assume, from what i've heard, this will extremely limited by employment opportunities. What are your views on this?

On the other side of things I understand the finance/administration work is a rather niche market and aimed towards those with university degrees and good connections, however, I am never one to shy away from work and have even resorted to building work and door work when previous made redundant, even if it was only for a short while.

Will this give a go attitude take me anywhere in Japan?

Your comments are appreciated.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

02-15-2010, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewQueree View Post
thanks for the reply and yes my wife is a Japanese National.

Thanks for the advice and what to steer clear of in the job market. I did however make an error when posting and forgot to mention the all important lack of a BA Degree.

I assume, from what i've heard, this will extremely limited by employment opportunities. What are your views on this?

On the other side of things I understand the finance/administration work is a rather niche market and aimed towards those with university degrees and good connections, however, I am never one to shy away from work and have even resorted to building work and door work when previous made redundant, even if it was only for a short while.

The lack of a BA degree is going to seriously limit your opportunities in the professional business world. I don't think your "give a go" attitude makes a difference. You need to find a Japanese willing to risk his job or business on a individual who doesn't have a university degree.

I am surprised your wife hasn't told you this.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
spicytuna (Offline)
JF Old Timer

02-15-2010, 08:02 PM

The lack of a BA along with your rudimentary Japanese will probably limit your job to those involving manual labor or teaching English.

In other words, you'll be taking a major pay cut as you quit your full time job to move to a foreign country which is currently being hit by a recession.

BTW, have you ever been to Japan? Have you experienced their hot humid climate, rush hour commutes, work ethics, etc.?
(#7 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

02-15-2010, 08:08 PM

Besides being a private tutor, will he be able to teach English without a degree? Most people who pay for English lessons are going to assume their teacher has a degree.

I think your best bets are going to be in manual labor, bartending and performing wedding ceremonies.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
noodle (Offline)
Wo zhi dao ni ai wo

02-15-2010, 08:15 PM

Doesn't work experience count for anything in Japan then?
(#9 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

02-15-2010, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodle View Post
Doesn't work experience count for anything in Japan then?
It can, if you are doing the exact same thing you did, but in my experience a company will hire someone right out of college over someone with several years experience and no degree.

Here is why:

Administrator hires OP

OP struggles in his job.

Boss says "What is going on? Why is OP struggling?"

Administrator says "I don't know, he has experience."

Boss says "Where did he graduate from school?"

Administrator says "Well, he didn't."

Boss says "You hired someone without a degree? What were you thinking?!?"

Administrator is demoted.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
clintjm (Offline)
JF Old Timer

02-15-2010, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewQueree View Post

Its true you will be limited in the professional salary man business work a Bachelors degree will provide in Japan.

Yes starting from scratch is most likely on the menu as you said.
Its possible this is not a bad thing though and you seem open to it. But of course its not easy, even in your home country.

Just be prepared for the worst in not being able to find steady work for a good while. Especially during this recession.

If you haven't lived in Japan for an extended period of time, then the cultural shock etc associated with that is ahead. Language too if you are not ready.

In the end, if you and your wife are willing to work in a traditional reversed roles for a very extended period of time as her being the main source of income, then you should be okay. For some personality types this may be a male pride issue in reversing these roles. Also the time line of if you are thinking about starting a family.

If you are compatible with the lifestyle there and if you are willing to study, find a new trade, skill or career, then Japan would be a good of any place to start fresh.

Despite some negativity you may see from a post or two here it is not impossible to find a new life in the situation you described.