JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
buggedout (Offline)
New to JF

Jalss - 04-07-2010, 10:41 PM

ok so I have recieved a job offer from this company they want me to be in japan by june and working for them within a week of me getting there

this all seemed fine untill the other day I came across some appaling reviews saying they where shoddy and where making there life's hell

the thing is I dont know if this is just a few disgruntelled employees who have got pissed off for no real reason

what I want to know is does anyone know anything about this company are they as bad as the reviews say should I take the job offer or should I search for another job????

it's not what you receive in life that defines you its what you give
(#2 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

04-07-2010, 11:21 PM

From the brief search I did, I would say look for something else. I cannot find any positive reviews of this company.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
buggedout (Offline)
New to JF

04-07-2010, 11:27 PM

yeah ditto I cant find any good reviews for them but I also know that they have just been given 5 new contracts for schools in tokyo

Im just going on what its like in this england which probabily isn't the best but surely they wouldn't get new contracts given if they where that bad

or am I just been to hopefull I think I am but I think I need to hear it from other people just to be sure ^_^

p.s thank you for looking MMM we had a bit of an argument a few months ago and its nice to know there's no hard feelings I always like making new friends ^_^

it's not what you receive in life that defines you its what you give

Last edited by buggedout : 04-08-2010 at 12:13 AM.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
fightjalss (Offline)
New to JF

never trust jalss - 04-10-2010, 08:48 AM

Working at JALSS - Reviews of Jobs at JALSS

read the reviews from that site they are all true, except the good posts from people who quoted from jalss office posing as ALT but its lie
many people from not japan esp USA were told lies promising they can change their visa to instructor or humanitarian if they get here by themselves by tourist visa but all lies!!! jalss is the worst company here in japan!!!
(#5 (permalink))
Old
ELTC (Offline)
New to JF

09-16-2010, 02:35 PM

Do NOT work for this company! I sent them my CV, indicating I wanted to apply for one of their direct hire jobs (A lie, seeing only Board of Educations (BOEs) or the school itself in rare cases will advertise direct hire jobs). This is the response I got:

"Sorry you cannot apply.
For the following reasons.
Not a native speaker.
No JET experience.
CELTA only pass. Not enough

You can apply for a regular alt position."

Now, I have no trouble with the 2nd & 3rd reasons. However, the first one is quite simply racist. Bear in mind, this email was sent without interviewing me, or testing my English ability in any way. After I sent a response to this email, a person by the name of Morishita responded in kind stating they had written that line because my name was "not a native English background name". Whatever that means.

There are some good ALT agencies in Japan. JALSS is obviously not one of them.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
hewittowl (Offline)
New to JF

JALss - 06-01-2011, 12:41 AM

Here's the deal. These Hakken Gaishas simply compete against one another every year for contracts throughout Japan. The put in bids with the BOE's in cities reachable by their managers. The BOE's don't care nor do they have any concern over whether or not these companies treat Gaijins fair or not. These companies can basically do whatever they want to us and the BOE is not responsible. We need to take action. Join the Union in Japan. BOE's would never hire a Japanese through one of these companies so why are they descriminating against us? You have to ask yourself this question. May'be we just don't want to accept the fact that Japan, especially down to the government, is genuinely racist towards non Japanese. Food for thought.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

06-04-2011, 03:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggedout View Post
ok so I have recieved a job offer from this company they want me to be in japan by june and working for them within a week of me getting there

this all seemed fine untill the other day I came across some appaling reviews saying they where shoddy and where making there life's hell

the thing is I dont know if this is just a few disgruntelled employees who have got pissed off for no real reason

what I want to know is does anyone know anything about this company are they as bad as the reviews say should I take the job offer or should I search for another job????
Judging from the quality of the English in his post, the OP should be grateful that any school would offer him a teaching position.

There are no "great" teaching positions available in Japan; they range from "poor" to "mediocre". If the OP wants to teach in Japan, he should accept the offer from JALSS; the spelling and grammar errors contained in his post would immediately disqualify him from working at any reputable school. After a year or so at JALSS he might learn enough about English to teach it competently.

If you apply at a place like AEON (typical eikaiwa), you will have to submit a 750 word essay. Any more than three mistakes in spelling, grammar, or punctuation, the essay goes in the bin, and you will not be considered for an interview. Other schools (reputable ones) will grade your cover letter in the same way, and then look for mistakes in your grammar during the personal interview.

You need to learn to speak English before you begin to teach it.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
tongzhanshang (Offline)
New to JF

06-14-2011, 03:31 AM

isn't the best?

Last edited by tongzhanshang : 06-14-2011 at 03:34 AM.