JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
premnath (Offline)
New to JF

Got job offer in Japan, Please help to take final decision - 04-30-2010, 10:27 PM

Dear Friends,

I have recently got an offer for job in Osaka.The company has offered a salary 200,000 JPY / Month, from which 48,000 JPY Housing rent will be deducted. Everything such as transportation, insurance, tax, utitility bills have to be paid by me.

I have no idea how much is other expences. I can only figure out that the salary converts into 2130 USD. But whether it is good offer, I don't know.

I would appreciate if anyone suggest me his/her openion regarding this. Also what is average salary for a mechanical engineer with 5 year of experience there in Japan?

Also please let me know average cost of following things ( Approximate cost on Monthly basis)-
1. Food - 1 person
2. average phone charge (excluding ISD call)
3. Internet access charge
4. Average transportation charge (If I stay 15 KM away from office)

Please reply soon as I need this information for a critical decision.

Thanks

premnath

========
人日本知っている

日本、くださいで得た仕事のオファーが給与を比較する のに役立つ

親愛なる友人、

私は最近、20万円/月、そこから48,000円住宅の賃貸料が差し引かれる給与を 提供していますOsaka.The会社の仕事のオファーを持ってい る。交通、保険、税などのすべてが、 utitilityの法案は、私が負担しなければならない。

私はアイデアをどのように多くの他の费ですが。私だけ では給料が2130ドルに変換を把握することができます。� �かし、かどうかは良いオファーですが、私にはわから� �い。

誰もが彼/彼女のopenionはこの問題について私を提案する場合、私� �幸いです。また、どのようなメカニカルエンジニアの� �均給与日本での経験が5年でですか?

また、私は物事(月額に基づいておおよその費用)を次 の平均コストを教えてください -
1。フード - 1人
2。 ISDの呼び出しを除く平均電話料金()
3。インターネットアクセスチャージ
4。平均輸送費(もし私が15キロ離れた所から滞在)

私は重要な決定は、この情報を必要に応じてくださいす ぐにご返信ください。

感謝
premnath
=================

Last edited by premnath : 04-30-2010 at 10:32 PM.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

05-01-2010, 01:09 AM

That is a little on the low side, if you were to ask me, especially if 1/4 of your salary is taken for rent, but it is certainly livable if you don't party too much.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
sarasi (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-01-2010, 01:31 AM

It is livable if you are single and lead a fairly quiet lifestyle while here, but it is an entry-level salary- not what people with 5 years experience would usually get here.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Tsuwabuki (Offline)
石路 美蔓

05-01-2010, 01:49 AM

I make quite a bit more than that, and I have less experience than you, in a more competitive job area.

I would be wary of this, because anyone with an engineering degree should be (as market rates go) making more than I do, and with five years experience you should be making even more.

That being said, MMM is correct. It is a wage you can live on, given you watch your dining out, your social activities, and don't have any excessively expensive hobbies.

<- AnimeMusicVideos.Org
(#5 (permalink))
Old
kyo_9 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via Yahoo to kyo_9
05-01-2010, 02:18 AM

5 years experience and they want to give that salary?
If I'm not mistaken, that's the salary for fresh graduates..

LiVe Ur LiFe
Don't do drugs!

(#6 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
05-01-2010, 05:46 AM

Hmm... I think that everyone is getting a little too focused on his experience and not thinking about how Japanese companies work.
You may have 5 years experience - but it was at another company, doing something else. They would be taking you on at the bottom of the ladder, which is pretty normal if you haven`t been asked to come to work for them from some other company.
Even people changing jobs with 5~10 years experience often start off on the bottom rung. The experience just makes it easier to move up fairly quickly.

5 years experience going into a different company will get you base pay - which is generally around 200,000yen these days. 5 years experience in the same company will earn you more.

Anyway - the base pay of 200,000/month isn`t all that low for starting out. It is the other things that concern me. It`s normal for companies to cover transportation - they should cover yours. What is their overtime policy? No overtime with lights off at going home time? Limited overtime (only pay 20 hours? 50 hours? 100 hours?) Unlimited overtime? How are their bonuses? One or two a year? Each being on average how many months pay? Do they have a reward system in place? (giving employees mini-bonuses at final accounting based on profit levels) This is the type of information that is needed to actually give you some real advice on the company.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

05-01-2010, 03:09 PM

Before judging your monthly pay you have to take into account that you are probably going to be a part-time worker limited to working 29.5 hours per week. This is usually the case with foreign workers as the company won't have to offer the additional benefits that full-time workers get. Any hours worked past the 29.5 you are scheduled for will result in overtime pay.

For part-time work, 200k yen per month is about what new-grads get when starting with a company. You should expect a raise each year with each new contract.

As for monthly expenses, those are very relative. But, here is what I figure to be the best average:

Food, 30,000 yen per month,
Cell phone, 4500 yen per month,
Internet, 3500 yen per month,
Gas, 3000 yen per month,
Electricity, 5000 yen per month,

Transportation is generally reimbursed, I don't know any companies who don't pay for at least part of an employee's transportation. If you are traveling 15 kilometers per day, your train fare is probably going to be around 500 yen per day. For those who commute 30 minutes or more, many companies will also compensate for commuting time.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
dirtyroboto (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-01-2010, 03:10 PM

1. What do you want from life?
2. What will you be giving up? (job/home/girl, boy/wife, husband/lifestyle/car)
3. What are the risks?
4. What are the benefits?

A. What is the apartment like?
B. What is your prospective employer like?
C. Can you speak Japanese?
D. How secure is the offered position?
(#9 (permalink))
Old
spicytuna (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-01-2010, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by premnath View Post
I would appreciate if anyone suggest me his/her openion regarding this. Also what is average salary for a mechanical engineer with 5 year of experience there in Japan?
Average salary? For an engineer who doesn't speak a word of Japanese and needs to be sponsored? Or for someone who's completely bilingual and has a visa.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
blimp (Offline)
偽関西人

05-02-2010, 02:30 AM

for a mechanical engineer, as in a civil engineer, with five year's experience, i would even go so far as to say that it is 200,000 is very low. not knowing under exactly what premises you will work under, i would ask for at least double that amount, and perhaps even more.

to be honest, the amount 200,000 would make me somewhat suspicious.

六甲颪(おろし)に 颯爽(さっそう)と
蒼天(そうてん)翔(か)ける日輪(にちりん)の
青春の覇気 美(うるわ)しく
輝く我が名ぞ 阪神タイガース
※オウ オウ オウオウ 阪神タイガース フレ フレ フレフレ