JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Cypsis (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via MSN to Cypsis
Does hair color counts?? - 05-27-2010, 03:11 PM

I know that it kind a goes under the "Job in Japan" threads, but I was hoping that maybe I can get my answer sooner from this...

The question is: How important is hair color in Japan as looking for a job or being successful in Japan?

I ask, because I am blond and I really-really would not like to dye my hair brown or black, but I am afraid that I might get rejected, because I am foreigner and blond.. I know it is stupid to think and worry about things like that, but I have bad experiences with letting dye and cut my hair.
So I will definitely cry a lot when I must change color... but I do not want to lose my chances in future, because of it.

(all doubts started when I was not picked into exchange program - my sister was picked (YAYYYYY!!!). Of course I know, that the reason was, that two of those who were picked because great Japanese skills and my sister for being in English class.... but I discovered that they all look similar - BROWN hair! .......... It really made me thinking, if I really can make my way with blond hair....)

Hope you can give me some good thoughts about it! ^^

A Girl with a dream
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
05-27-2010, 04:06 PM

Are you Japanese?
No?

Then it doesn`t matter.

Seriously, the only time hair color really matters is if you are Japanese and bleaching your hair. You`re not Japanese, so no one would expect you to have black hair. In fact, it seems like blondes get MORE opportunities in Japan because being blonde is more "typically foreign", so is a sort of favored trait in businesses wanting to have a foreign face.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
spicytuna (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-27-2010, 11:25 PM

Keep your hair blonde!

BTW, I have a friend who's Estonian and lived in Himeji for a while. He got tired of explaining where Estonia was but thanks to Baruto, it should be easier for you and your sister.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Cypsis (Offline)
JF Regular

05-28-2010, 06:51 AM

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!

I was really worried actually... (specially because coloring my hair dark really depresses me -.-) I was so sad.

I am feeling much better know ^^ *going to work hard on my Japanese now* ^^

BTW: xD I heard that many Japanese call Estonia as Baruto-land! xD I am so thankful to Baruto!!!!!!! ^^

A Girl with a dream
(#5 (permalink))
Old
baioslaio (Offline)
New to JF

05-28-2010, 02:49 PM

Japanese people seems to think that blond hair is a little bit gangstah though.
Lots of times people have called me ふりよう and ヤンキー for having blond hair.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
MissMisa (Offline)
Fashion, Games + Art Mod.

05-28-2010, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baioslaio View Post
Japanese people seems to think that blond hair is a little bit gangstah though.
Lots of times people have called me ふりよう and ヤンキー for having blond hair.
Really? Even when it's natural? That's a bit harsh...
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
05-28-2010, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMisa View Post
Really? Even when it's natural? That's a bit harsh...
That just seems weird to me... Unless they are Asian and are bleaching their hair, or it is friends joking. I`ve never heard of naturally blonde being treated that way, and it certainly isn`t associated with anything other than being "foreign".

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to SSJup81 Send a message via AIM to SSJup81 Send a message via MSN to SSJup81 Send a message via Yahoo to SSJup81 Send a message via Skype™ to SSJup81
05-29-2010, 02:08 AM

Cypsis: I don't know why you felt that need to worry. I'd be more concerned over how it's worn as opposed to the hair color for a foreigner. I'm black and have my hair braided. I actually went to my school's principal and asked if the way I styled (some of it tied back, some of it loose) as opposed to always keeping it tied back into a single ponytail was okay, because I prefer it the other way. He said with a smile that it was okay to wear it the other way.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
baioslaio (Offline)
New to JF

05-29-2010, 03:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
That just seems weird to me... Unless they are Asian and are bleaching their hair, or it is friends joking. I`ve never heard of naturally blonde being treated that way, and it certainly isn`t associated with anything other than being "foreign".
Well, ive heard it from people on the station too. But it may have something to do with me being a high school student?

And yes, they probably arnt being serious
(#10 (permalink))
Old
Cypsis (Offline)
JF Regular

05-30-2010, 09:40 AM

Well I am not concerned about hair color anymore ^^

SSJum81: I think the way you wore hair is not so big problem (specially for me because mostly I wear hair differently everyday) as long as you feel comfortable. But it is always a good thing to ask if it is a problem or not ^^

baioslaio: I do not want say something wrong or anything.. but maybe it depends on the appearance. (I do not know how you look like and that is why I do not say anything about it.) But i know that no-one can call me like that.... I am to girly-girl for that ^^

MissMisa & Nyororin : I am not natural O.o, but it does not look like fake

my natural color is potato jacket brown (it looks like a mix of brown and grey -.-).... I do not like it and in Estonia it is (unfortunately) usual thing that most of the girls, starting from 14 years, color their hair =S
Beside... I cannot color my hair to natural color, because no hairstylist can mix a color like it...

A Girl with a dream