LinkBack Thread Tools
(#71 (permalink))
Old
Acidreptile (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-25-2007, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laine View Post
Japan is a very homogeneous country, isn't it? I guess the government wants to keep it that way. Remember this is the same country that had isolationist policies for many years.

But on the other hand, maybe the establishments that posted those signs just didn't want to deal with bothersome tourists who were unable to speak Japanese; that would be assuming that all foreigners can't speak Japanese, though. Most of the signs also had 'members only' signs... that's not excluding certain races, that's just excluding nonmembers.

The video info mentioned discrimination against Chinese & Koreans especially. That isn't surprising to me, considering the countries have tensions with one another.

Anyway, yes, the discrimination seems like a sad downside to Japan... but as far as Japan's social problems go, I think there are more serious concerns, such as ijime or declining population.

Yes,I agree with everything you said,and also there's discrimination everywhere unfortunatelly,not only in Japan.
(#72 (permalink))
Old
pixuli (Offline)
minipig

Send a message via MSN to pixuli
07-25-2007, 10:00 AM

It is true that there is clubs and pubs with "no foreigners" signs. But there is not many of them. It is because foreigners usually cause troubles when they get drunk (or this is what my japanese friend said) and japaneses don't know english well so the language is a big trouble too. I guess that's why there is that you can get inside with a japanese friend. It is a bit confusing, but it doesn't really bother me that much. I love Japan no matter what.
Maybe in time there will be no more of those signs, who knows?~

"You can't be a cook if you can't work with onions."
"*stare*"
"You can start with this lonely onion."
"*glomp*"
"WTF!"
(#73 (permalink))
Old
Godzilla4ever (Offline)
New to JF

07-25-2007, 11:13 AM

This is just like the old U.S.A Rasicsm against Black till Martin Luther Testifed(or what ever the word is-_-) Except It aganist All races but themselves not just one race if people

Ninja don't sweat. Not even during ninja sex. Ever.

The Fart of a Ninja is a million times deadlier than the venom of a rattlesnake. With the right wind, a single fart can wipe out a small village.

Ninja invented skateboarding.

Ninja don't smoke, but they do use smoke bombs.

Ninja don't play sports. Unless killing is a sport. They always win.
(#74 (permalink))
Old
chibibecci (Offline)
^^

07-31-2007, 08:58 PM

I agree with what some of you are saying.. these are probably signs that are put up at verrry few places.... Everywhere else in the world probably has places where only people who are born in that country can go.... I guess countries don't want to completely loose sight of what they were before people started travelling all over the place.

Toshio
(#75 (permalink))
Old
nippon (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via AIM to nippon Send a message via Yahoo to nippon
08-01-2007, 10:50 PM

NO NO NO DUDE! not everyone hates u the teens and 20yr old love americans and europeans especially italians idk why though

the most important thing in life is what makes u happy
(#76 (permalink))
Old
Anthrax (Offline)
New to JF

08-06-2007, 10:56 PM

This doesn't really bother me too much. Being black and not acting that stereotype gets me a lot of racism whether people no what they're doing/saying or not. But more on-topic a lot of these posts I saw didn't really reason with why those signs were there. For instance a japanese friend of mine told me that some places in Japan (more home-owned business than others) had signs like these because of the language barrier which is why places that do allow foreigners have some one who is Japanese to accompany them. Also the way that many Americans and even people from other countries are portrayed in the media has a large part to do with it.

I have no signature.
(#77 (permalink))
Old
Ouranos (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via MSN to Ouranos
08-06-2007, 11:09 PM

you shouldnt believe things so easy like that, sure theres still racism in this world right now but not everyone is the same just cos a few signs got taped on some guys camera doesnt say much.
(#78 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

08-07-2007, 02:46 AM

I have said it before, but not everyone reads all the posts.

90%+ of signs like that are on cabaret clubs, bikini bars, lingerie pubs, pink salons, or anywhere where men pay a lot of money to be "serviced" by women. This can be from drinks and conversation to very special massages.

This is less about racism and more about the low self-esteem of Japanese men. Japanese men fear that Japanese women will be more interested in foreign men than them, so they eliminate the problem with a hand-written sign. These clubs are over-priced, and they may have also received complaints from foreigners in the past.

These signs are the EXCEPTION, not the rule, and the best thing would be to let this terribly-titled thread die.
(#79 (permalink))
Old
Abasio (Offline)
徐世普真義留

08-07-2007, 03:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
I have said it before, but not everyone reads all the posts.

90%+ of signs like that are on cabaret clubs, bikini bars, lingerie pubs, pink salons, or anywhere where men pay a lot of money to be "serviced" by women. This can be from drinks and conversation to very special massages.
The other 10% probably come from the nomihoudai places where they don't want to be run out of business by foreigners paying 2000 yen then drinking 20000 yen worth of drinks

Racism is everywhere in every country. It doesn't mean the majority of people are racist. The majority of people in Japan either welcome foreigners or don't care one way or another. I almost never come across it! I get the occasional person who gets up as soon as I sit down but it's always some dour looking housewife that is scared that the sky is going to fall on her head & so I pay it no heed! Most people I encounter are very friendly & helpful. More so than many other countries I've been to.
(#80 (permalink))
Old
RxPhantomWolf12 (Offline)
Silver Shadow King

Send a message via MSN to RxPhantomWolf12
08-09-2007, 09:14 PM

Well we're all a bit prejudice, and racist deep down. You say that you aren't but who isn't hypocritical.

War is the Answer If You're Questioning the General.

http://s106.photobucket.com/albums/m274/ManonFire12/?action=view&current=SaruwatariKaitoSig.jpg

Family
Sister(s): SakuranoNamida
Eddie Guerrero (1967-2005)