JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
06-17-2010, 11:48 PM

I don`t find driving in Japan to be terrifying at all. Riding in taxis, on the other hand, and I literally end up gripping the seat in fear. The drivers can be crazy...

I`ve never had a single problem getting a taxi ride. Money is money, and the taxi drivers want it. If one refuses you, they`re refusing to make money and handing that money over to someone else.

I have yet to drive around in inner-city Tokyo, but in general traffic isn`t that horrible in other cities. Sure, you might get stuck in a bit during rush hours, but otherwise it`s not bad at all... Unless, of course, you`re heading somewhere hugely popular on a holiday when everyone is off and headed in that same direction.

Bus passes are issued by individual cities, but there usually is a pass for the elderly and for people with disabilities. There is also usually one for train travel too, but that is usually half off instead of a free pass.

Things written about Japan tend to be written with sensationalism in mind rather than conveying facts...

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#12 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

06-18-2010, 12:10 AM

Another point with taxis, many times they are lined up in front of train stations or places where people assemble.

If a taxi refuses you service, then the driver's only choice will be to "get out of the way" and drive back to the end of the line, which would look pretty silly.
(#13 (permalink))
Old
samokan (Offline)
0xFFFF_FFFF

06-18-2010, 12:51 AM

I have yet to see a taxi driver refuse a customer even if that customer is drunk, foreigners or local alike.

I had to take a drunken friend home once, there were still trains around that time but it would be really embarrassing if he puked on the train so we decided to take a cab, the driver told us theres a plastic bag on the seat pocket and he felt like puking we could stop until he felt ok.

here local and foreigners alike are paying customer and they are treated as such..

*** Omnia Muntantor, Nihil Interit ***

My Japan Life

-------------------------------------
(#14 (permalink))
Old
steven (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-18-2010, 01:48 AM

Not to be repeat too much, but like other people have said, money is money, and taxis are often lined up waiting for the next customer, so to refuse someone based on anything would be a bit of a logistical problem (as MMM said). So whether they like you (or their Japanese riders) or not, they'll pretty much have to take you.

In my personal experience, the taxi cab drivers seem to enjoy taking my money haha. I would think it would be a nice break in their day, too... to get some really different looking people for a change. In fact, I've asked taxi drivers for directions before and they've helped me full knowing I didn't plan on riding with them. They are usually nice folks-- I'm sure you'll occasionally run into a really dry person (as I have), but I think that's par for the course anywhere you go.

I drive every day here in Japan and I've driven through what I guess you could call jungly looking mountain-barely-one-car-sized-roads (pavement being optional) to big cities like Osaka, Nagoya, and Kanazawa... but like Nyororin said, the scariest moments driving can very easily be a taxi driver driving you around. They're obviously very good drivers (haha for the most part) so they will probably drive a lot faster and with way more confidence than any normal human being is comfortable with. I think it also has to do with the fact that you are a paying customer and therefore you take precident over any `luckless pedestrian` who happens to walk in front of them. Seriously though, it makes me wonder how hard that taxi-grade drivers license is to pull off haha. I probably couldn't do it in a million years.
(#15 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
06-18-2010, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven View Post
Seriously though, it makes me wonder how hard that taxi-grade drivers license is to pull off haha. I probably couldn't do it in a million years.
It`s actually not that hard. I thought about getting one just for the amusement of it (and because they offered the course for half off after I got my regular license)- it`s not just for taxis but rather for passenger transportation.
But it makes your car insurance go up as you are now authorized to transport for money... So I opted not to. Wasn`t worth it just to have my license be a 第二種.

There is more to the written test on the laws for carrying passengers - but the driving test itself doesn`t change much. They just have you do the normal driving test along with a zig-zag course (both forward and backward). I think the biggest difference is that they test your eyesight, hearing, etc in a lot more detail.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#16 (permalink))
Old
Neffiline (Offline)
JF Regular

06-18-2010, 02:17 PM

While I was in Tokyo I only had to take the taxi once before we got lost and were quite far from any train stations. I just raised by hand while waiting on the side of the street and got one fairly quickly. I had the address we were going to written on paper so the driver took a look, nodded and off we went.

Like others have said, train and subway is the best so that's what I stuck to. It's quite the experience too!

(#17 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

06-18-2010, 02:46 PM

thankyou for replying. I appreciate that. I am trying to learn what it is like to live in JAPAN.

I would love to hear views of those who have spent most of their lives in JAPAN.

My japanese friend worked for a company until she retired a few years ago.

I have been reading a lot of history including the pacific war years.

Is it true that the group system is still an essential part of being japanese?

I am trying to learn truth from fiction. thanks for your help or advice.

babs in uk.
(#18 (permalink))
Old
Sashimister (Offline)
他力本願

06-18-2010, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsbody70 View Post

Is it true that the group system is still an essential part of being japanese?
Very much so, I would have to say. In other words, "harmony" is highly valued over here. You won't be respected if you aren't willing to sacrifice to an extent for whatever group you belong to. The "me me me" sort of individuals aren't ever appreciated here.
(#19 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

06-19-2010, 12:23 PM

Okay then is individualism not popular. Does one always have to agree with the group even if not really wanting to?

Is an individual allowed to be forthright and say what they think?