JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
willgoestocollege (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-17-2010, 08:07 PM

I'm paying for my plane tickets and I will also give a donation to the orphanage. I will be staying at a host family in the city. You mentioned "our children were migrated to the commonwealth countries", I'm guessing you come from East Europe?
(#12 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

07-18-2010, 02:04 PM

I am talking about the UK. thousands of children were sent to some of the commonwealth countries, mostly by the Aid agencies such as Barnardo'sand others. If you can get a copy of the book "EMPTY CRADLES" you will read about it in there, plus Orphans of the Empire.

I had groups on the net for many of these people who were looking for their families.

Many children were sent to canada, Australia and rhodesia among other places.

Many canadians are still searching for their family roots.
(#13 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)

07-18-2010, 02:05 PM

[quote=willgoestocollege;820315][color="Black"]I'm paying for my plane tickets and I will also give a donation to the orphanage. I will be staying at a host family in the city.

That is very generous of you Will-- It should be a great experience.
(#14 (permalink))
Old
JF Old Timer

07-18-2010, 02:13 PM

Yeah I could buy the book from Amazon or Waterstones, thank you.
(#15 (permalink))
Old
RobinMask (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-18-2010, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsbody70 View Post
I am talking about the UK. thousands of children were sent to some of the commonwealth countries, mostly by the Aid agencies such as Barnardo'sand others. If you can get a copy of the book "EMPTY CRADLES" you will read about it in there, plus Orphans of the Empire.

I had groups on the net for many of these people who were looking for their families.

Many children were sent to canada, Australia and rhodesia among other places.

Many canadians are still searching for their family roots.
I'd never actually heard of this until now, I guess it shows that you really do learn something new each day, lol. Do you know when they stopped doing this? It sounds rather traumatic, and must have been a horrible experience for the children. If it happened in your living memory then I imagine it must have happened until recently in history? It's hard to believe something like that went on not so long ago. I'll be sure to look up the book you mentioned, I'm rather interested actually too, so thanks for mentioning this.
(#16 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)

07-18-2010, 09:27 PM

HELLO ROBIN.

Yes it did happen and if not for a social worker called Margaret Humphreys it might have stayed under the radar.

If you can get hold of the two books I mentioned that will tell you a little.

eventually the Child Migrant Trust came into being and helped reunite some people with surviving parent-- if they were still alive after so many years.

the British GOVT put three Million poumds in to help these former child migrants then Australia added some although there was a three year time limit. I do believe that many canadians lost out because they were sent out earlier than many of those sent to Australia. Many of those migrated thought they were orphans-- but mostly that was not the case at all

There was a book published in australia last year called "THE FORGOTTEN CHILDREN" by David HIll. He was one of those sent out there. Its worth reading if its available in this country. I could tell a lot but this is not the place of course.
(#17 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)

07-18-2010, 09:29 PM

just consider that children as young as three years old were sent away.
(#18 (permalink))
Old
JF Old Timer

07-18-2010, 09:38 PM

I know that orphanages in Ukraine and Russia are terrible. They look very cold inside and poorly built.
(#19 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)

07-18-2010, 09:43 PM

yes indeed they are. I am interested to know how japanese children are cared for. Do they have fostering or adoption?
(#20 (permalink))
Old
JF Old Timer

07-18-2010, 09:52 PM

I think foster care would be for Japanese citizens as that type of adoption is domestic but I am sure Japan is a donor country which allows other countries to adopt their children.