LinkBack Thread Tools
(#21 (permalink))
Old
steven (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-27-2010, 02:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
BUT - this is all WWII stuff. I think the situation is quite a bit different now.
I'm not so certain. This all seems like an unspoken/unwritten history (save for the bits footage taken of the pople involved or first hand/second hand accounts like you've heard. I wouldn't be suprised if similar things are happening today. Instead of quaint Japanese girls, they are quaint (fill in the blank) girls.

I wish I could have talked to my grandpa about his time during the war... there are so many things I would love to have known. The best I can do is talk to my mom or uncle about that kind of thing at this point.

That all sounds quite horrible though, and I'd hope the situation has changed at least in Japan.
(#22 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
08-27-2010, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven View Post
I'm not so certain. This all seems like an unspoken/unwritten history (save for the bits footage taken of the pople involved or first hand/second hand accounts like you've heard. I wouldn't be suprised if similar things are happening today. Instead of quaint Japanese girls, they are quaint (fill in the blank) girls.
Oh, I`m sure it`s happening somewhere... Just not in Japan. I also have a feeling that the military has changed their policies somewhat and that it might be a little harder to pull off the same sort of thing.
Or rather - I hope.

Either way, it`s not really something that is happening on any major scale in Japan now and I don`t believe it`s currently a big issue. Even looking at the article about servicemen leaving their kids behind and not paying child support, etc etc - I`d say it would be a fair guess that the sort of thing it happening on equal levels with other types of employment in Japan.
I did a long stint as an on-call legal translator for "international" couples going through divorce (or missing father hunting...) And even after a legal marriage in Japan it was pretty common that the foreign husband would head home first leaving promises to bring her and the kids over - then never follow up on them. When checked out he`d be living with another Asian girl in his country. It was a painfully common thing.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#23 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

08-27-2010, 02:31 PM

The military bases in Okinawa have existed for several generations now, and the sound of aircraft and the presence of US soldiers is just as familiar to the locals as the hills and mountains.

You'll find many servicemen married to Japanese women, but you won't find many children as most military postings are temporary at best. A soldier might spend a year or two in Okinawa until getting an assignment or a promotion to work somewhere else. During my time in the Army my longest stint at any one place was only 1 year.

If you come to Tokyo you'll find many couples with mixed children, I see them every day. It's no big deal, and no one gives them a second look.

Japan may not be a Christian country, but Japan's culture has it's share of morals. Ironically, people from "Christian" countries actually have more moral freedom than the Japanese. In Japan you'll rarely if ever see men and women kiss in public, even hand holding is rare. In America it's not uncommon to see men kissing men, women kissing women, such things are unheard of in Japan. Abortions in Japan are rare for more than one reason. First, the Japanese are not as sexually active as other nationalities, secondly, Japan's cultural morality discourages abortion. This same sense of morality is also behind the Japanese dislike of tattoos or otherwise marking or disfiguring the body your parents gave to you. And then you can add Nyorin's information about how difficult getting an abortion in Japan is. I suspect that the national government is more than a little concerned about Japan's negative birth rate, so I wouldn't be surprised if Abortions are even further restricted in the future.
(#24 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)

08-27-2010, 03:45 PM

Quote:

I wish I could have talked to my grandpa about his time during the war... there are so many things I would love to have known. The best I can do is talk to my mom or uncle about that kind of thing at this point.

That all sounds quite horrible though, and I'd hope the situation has changed at least in Japan.
Okinawan Women Fighting for Support From U.S. Servicemen

this section talks about recently -- not WW2. I don' t know where that idea came from.

reading this it looks as though Amerasians youngsters get a raw deal which is very unfair.

I suspect that no matter what country it is-- this sort of thing happens constantly-- it seasy to plant a seed but not so simple for the seed carrier.

Also I don't think religion is a big thing here in UK anymore.

certainly a single mother used to be treated terribly-- especiall by the church-- Ireland inparticular. I am uncertain when abortion was offered by the NHS here. It used to be extremely difficult and so many back street abortions that could kill the mother.

I am afraid that here we allow foetus to be removed even up to 24 weeks. I know of some that did abort at that time- but the NHS would not do that I think. Of course now we are able to scan a baby in the womb-- and so clear it must be terribly difficult and a desperate situation to cause a girl/woman to have an abortion. I still believe that having an abortion is NOT an easy option for any woman. Its later that it can be emotionally very painful. what if's and all that. Killing a live baby should never be an easy option.

Its hardly surprising that a woman would never tell anyone that she has aborted her baby. I believe it is very traumatic--

So men also need to be responsible surely. too often its the woman that is expected to do birth control. Not everyone Likes using condoms anyway.

Prevention is obviously better than cure but even though we have plenty of birth control facilities here-- still girls get preganant. school girls even.
(#25 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)

08-27-2010, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sangetsu View Post
The military bases in Okinawa have existed for several generations now, and the sound of aircraft and the presence of US soldiers is just as familiar to the locals as the hills and mountains.
If I remember correctly... In a survey carried about by Time magazine a couple of years back showed that 90% of Okinawans oppose the American military bases in Okinawa.
(#26 (permalink))
Old
cranks (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-27-2010, 07:12 PM

The municipal assembly of 辺野古, where a base will be relocated to, voted unanimously for the base. They say 90% of the residents were for the base.
http://sankei.jp.msn.com/politics/po...2040016-n2.htm
This is a right wing paper though.

A pole by a left wing paper shows 11% of the people in Okinawa want status quo, 42% want less bases, 43% don't want the bases at all.
asahi.com

There are so much political bullshit about Okinawa and its base issue...

Last edited by cranks : 08-27-2010 at 07:14 PM.
(#27 (permalink))
Old
steven (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-28-2010, 12:21 AM

I wonder if there is any data taken after the Cheonan sinking (which happened 4 days after the left wing article and about two weeks after the right wing article).
(#28 (permalink))
Old
cranks (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-28-2010, 07:49 PM

Quote:
I wonder if there is any data taken after the Cheonan sinking (which happened 4 days after the left wing article and about two weeks after the right wing article).
I can't find it but I doubt it had a significant effect.
(#29 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)

08-28-2010, 07:56 PM

Quote:
I encountered a guy in my uni who seemed to think that the US staged the attack to pressure Japan to keep the bases in Okinawa

Well I was glad that at least the crazies arent just limited to America and the west...
(#30 (permalink))
Old
cranks (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-28-2010, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin4hire View Post
I encountered a guy in my uni who seemed to think that the US staged the attack to pressure Japan to keep the bases in Okinawa

Well I was glad that at least the crazies arent just limited to America and the west...
He's a North Korean spy!