JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Lokiii (Offline)
New to JF

Question Moving from the USA - 09-24-2010, 02:16 PM

Ive been looking around and cant find alot of info on what is is like there for people with Aspergers syndrome.

I am 20, White and from the United States, Male and I did NOT vote for bush.
I have a disorder known as Aspergers syndrome and would like to know what to expect in Japan.
I know very little Japanese though I only just started studying, I have roughly 3 years to prepare.

I hope to go there and Coach Fencing and Teach Martial arts(Krav Maga and Shaolin Kung fu)

I hear alot about Racial Tension, how much is actually true and where is it most prominent?

~Gaijin
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

09-24-2010, 02:46 PM

You aren't old enough to have had an opportunity to vote for or against Bush even if you had wanted to.

The only real requirement that you'll need to get a visa to live and work in Japan is a 4 year or better university degree.

If you are a white American you will not experience any racism, that is generally reserved for Filipinos, Chinese, and Koreans.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
RobinMask (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-24-2010, 03:07 PM

Hikikomori and Asperger's - that thread might be useful, the original poster asked a similar question and had a few responses. It might be useful to look at as far as the Aspergers part of your question goes.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Lokiii (Offline)
New to JF

09-25-2010, 09:37 AM

Both of you offered good information, Thank you(Arigoto)
True I am not old enough to have voted against Bush, though where I able too I would have gladly voted Democrat. I am what would be considered "Green party".

Info on Green party: The Green Party of the United States

As for the Aspergers thread I am still looking through it though so far the only information I am reading is second hand and assumptions. The key to remember about Aspergers is not that we dislike social interaction, but rather we desire it but lack certain components that Neurologically typical people are born with and use without ever knowing it(such as being able to read changes in tone, distinguishing between Sarcasm and normal statements, etc.)

What I seek is info about Aspergers in Japan based upon first hand experience or knowledge based on info gained through relatives who have gone to live there. I shall continue to read the linked thread.

Thank you again for your time and resourceful information.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
RobinMask (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-25-2010, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokiii View Post
As for the Aspergers thread I am still looking through it though so far the only information I am reading is second hand and assumptions. The key to remember about Aspergers is not that we dislike social interaction, but rather we desire it but lack certain components that Neurologically typical people are born with and use without ever knowing it(such as being able to read changes in tone, distinguishing between Sarcasm and normal statements, etc.)

What I seek is info about Aspergers in Japan based upon first hand experience or knowledge based on info gained through relatives who have gone to live there. I shall continue to read the linked thread.

Thank you again for your time and resourceful information.
I'm actually aware about Aspergers, I have the condition myself. I can't - however - say first-hand what it is like for a person with the condition to live in Japan, because I shan't be there until early 2012, which is quite a while away yet. I would say that people with the condition would (although this is generalising) feel very much similar to what they would in any unfamiliar situation, however there would be the added stress of bein in a strange culture and finding it hard to commuinicate (although these would be stressors for most people).

Difficulties in language, such as unable to understand some sarcasm or dry humour, or taking a figurative statement literally, can be overcome with time and proper support. There will always be problems, but some Asperers are known to 'grow out of it', which I just consider to mean 'learning how to cope and commuinicate as best as they can'. Again even if you learn how to cope in your home country, Japan is a whole new set of customs and mannerisms and this may be very stressful. Again most foriegners I imagine would experience this, and most would be stressed too at learning to commuinicate from scratch. So from what I see, yes Aspergers may be a hindrance, but you shouldn't be too much different from any other foriegner.

I'd give the same advice most people give to people moving: study the language, learn about the culture, and research where you want to go thoroughly.

I'd also add that I believe Nyorin (sorry, I can never remember how to spell her name) lives in Japan, and has done for some time, and I do believe she has a disabled son, although I'm not sure whether this is Aspergers or not. If you ask her I'm sure she'd be friendly and willing enough to give you a first-hand account you ask for, which may be useful even if it's not specifically Aspergers that she deals with.