JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
KameRider (Offline)
New to JF

Working in Japan, find a job before or after arrival? - 12-19-2010, 02:56 PM

Hi all,

I'm planning to move to Japan in the new year, primarily to be with my Japanese girlfriend from university but also because i fell in love with the place after a recent trip (i stayed with her family for a month) and was hoping for a little advice from those of you who have made the leap already

I plan to make a foothold in Japan by working as an ALT, mainly because this seems to be the simplest job to get for an English speaker before becoming fluent in Japanese, and i can't really think of any alternatives to be honest.

My dilemma is that i can't decide whether it's best to find a job before leaving home (London) or if i should head out there first and job hunt in country, obviously it's "safer" to have a job waiting for me, but in my case i really want to live in a relatively specific area to be near my girlfriend (shes in Tsukuba, but anywhere an hour or so away by car would be fine).

My impression of the companies hiring abroad is that they will place you where it suits them, also for preference i would like to work for a smaller business, which makes looking for a job there seem like a better idea.

My concern is that i will arrive and spend months fruitlessly searching for jobs which aren't there, and perhaps have problems getting a working visa without a sponsor.

Do you think the later option is a big risk?
I was also wondering how long the process of being hired from your home country is compared with applications from within Japan, I've noticed that Jet takes an age to actually get you there.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
spicytuna (Offline)
JF Old Timer

12-19-2010, 03:48 PM

Doesn't the UK have a working holiday program with Japan?

If so, I'd grab that opportunity and move to Japan. While you're there, you can start looking for work, all the while emphasizing the fact that you have a temporary work visa and a university degree. Of course you should be looking for a line of work which can lead to a more permanent position.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Realism (Offline)
JF Old Timer

12-19-2010, 07:33 PM

Best way is to be fluent in Japanese BEFORE you go to Japan.

Then finding a job would be much easier.

But now that you wanna be with your girlfriend...I know.....you should just go and try to get a job.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

12-19-2010, 08:55 PM

Unless things have changed, I don't believe you can legally be hired off of a tourist visa. You can look for jobs, but would probably have to go home and get the work visa from London and come back.

I would look for work first.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
GoNative (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

12-20-2010, 01:02 AM

I believe MMM is right. Best to organised a sponsored work visa prior to arrival.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
LazyGaijin (Offline)
New to JF

12-23-2010, 10:10 AM

Jump on a plane and get to Tokyo Disney land, they are hiring now! Also Harajuku is hiring manga artists and cosplayers for big yen.