(#11 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
01-05-2011, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanny View Post
nyororin...i don't get it...how can you get 77mb/s download speed.
optic cable, sure, but here you can download files with ~25mb/s with optic and upload ~12mb/s, not 77/50.
only some places have it since wires are not so accessible for it, but if you get it then it's cheap. its 30$ a month for unlimited use. meanwhile i pay ~35$ for 10mb(~1mb down.)

P.S how's downloading in Japan? movies, music are everyday thing? or there are bandwidth monitors that are out to get illegal downloaders?
It`s FTTH - fiber optic. We`re actually kind of on the slow side, really, but it`s not really worth the cost to upgrade to 1000Mbps. Something I have noticed is that no matter how fast my actual connection is, most sites aren`t nearly as fast so there is no perceptible difference in speed.

I just ran a check again, the numbers I had up before were what I was getting on average about 6 months ago - about 15 minutes ago I was getting 83 down, 91 up. (Up is now faster than down - a mystery.)

I don`t know of any bandwidth monitoring going on - as streaming contents are very big here, for example hi-def television through fiber optic is totally normal, watching bandwidth wouldn`t do anything. I have heard that certain port uses and usage patterns associated with Winny and the like are monitored.

Japan is pretty strict when it comes to the illegal downloading thing and ISPs do not hesitate to hand over information to the authorities, so I seriously cannot really recommend it.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#12 (permalink))
Old
protheus (Offline)
Arthur et Les Minimoys

Send a message via Yahoo to protheus
01-05-2011, 12:27 PM

again double post

Reverse psychology, "dear Watson", reverse psychology.
"Manganese? Is that manga language?" - lol?

Last edited by protheus : 01-05-2011 at 12:34 PM.
(#13 (permalink))
Old
protheus (Offline)
Arthur et Les Minimoys

Send a message via Yahoo to protheus
01-05-2011, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanny View Post
optic cable
Optic cable is basically unlimited, the problem is the equipment connected to it. If it can't "read" fast enough, it doesn't matter that the cable can do 10GB/s.

(PS: the world record was 69.1 Tbit/s for an optic line and still limited to that by the equipment connected to it)

Reverse psychology, "dear Watson", reverse psychology.
"Manganese? Is that manga language?" - lol?

Last edited by protheus : 01-05-2011 at 12:33 PM.
(#14 (permalink))
Old
RealJames (Offline)
ボケ外人

01-05-2011, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
Something I have noticed is that no matter how fast my actual connection is, most sites aren`t nearly as fast so there is no perceptible difference in speed.
I had this problem too, occasionally I'd hop on a torrent that half of Japan was seeding and it would finish faster than my hard-drive could write it, but most the time the bottleneck is the servers hosting websites, especially when they're overseas.

マンツーマン 英会話 神戸 三宮 リアライズ -James- This is my life and why I know things about Japan.