JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Crystalline (Offline)
New to JF

How did it all start? - 03-29-2011, 02:50 PM

Hello everyone =)

First of all, i shall not specify the reasons why i want to go to japan, simply because they contain some "flaws", and despite liking other people´s opinions, i´m just not in the mood to get Yelled at xP

So let´s start off with my questions.

I want to know what were the very first steps you all took when you moved into japan =)

If you applied online for a job, then once you got a positive response you finally moved there. If you moved there first, then got everything sorted out.

If aqcuiring a car was difficult. If you do not have a car at all. Setting up an account there, or transferring funds. How does all that process work. etc.

How did you learn the japanese language. Health Insurance. Official Japanese Citizenship. Getting a VISA.

Once again, i apolagize if all these questions seem stupid, or ignorant, but as far as my current situation goes, i only know a few things about japan, and would like certain questions sorted out =)

We all have to start somewhere right?

But yeah, those are the main questions i´d like answered if possible =).

It would be even better if you could organize your actions, step by step =P

I´m currently a "noob" per say, but i´m willing to learn! So please have a bit of patience on this fool xD

Thank You All =)
(#2 (permalink))
Old
RealJames (Offline)
ボケ外人

03-29-2011, 04:40 PM

What I did:

In Canada;
- sell everything I own on craigslist and other second hand sites,
- renew my passport
- get a working holiday visa and a plane ticket
- get on the airplane

In Japan:
- look for a taxi driver that speaks English at the airport
- ask him to find an apartment shop whose staff speaks English and to take me there
- rent an apartment, ask the shop staff what the major English schools are and internet companies
- call major internet company, they have an English line, internet is up within 2 days
- meantime I bust out my suit and door-to-door the English schools with my nice smile and etc etc
- before my side-cash runs out, I get my first pay check
- after a few months change from working holiday to work visa, find a better job
- move to a nicer place
- start a business

Cars are so expensive here, and slower than trains the majority of the time.
It's a luxury for the future. For now I prefer to spend all my money on food and gadgets.

マンツーマン 英会話 神戸 三宮 リアライズ -James- This is my life and why I know things about Japan.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
SHAD0W (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

03-29-2011, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealJames View Post
In Canada;
- sell everything I own on craigslist and other second hand sites,
- renew my passport
- get a working holiday visa and a plane ticket
- get on the airplane
Can't believe you just booked it, packed it and f**ked off. That takes some real balls man. Seriously well done! Totally awesome dude. I suppose that's the real way to do it, though I'd of secured a job before I set off.

Kudos.

Edit: I can't imagine life without my Honda here in England, but there's no point having a car in Japan.. Constant traffic jams and nowhere to park.

I'm sorry for all the bad stuff I said and all the feelings I hurt.. Please forgive me

Last edited by SHAD0W : 03-29-2011 at 11:06 PM.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
tenmins (Offline)
JF Regular

03-29-2011, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystalline View Post
If you applied online for a job, then once you got a positive response you finally moved there. If you moved there first, then got everything sorted out.

If aqcuiring a car was difficult. If you do not have a car at all. Setting up an account there, or transferring funds. How does all that process work. etc.

How did you learn the japanese language. Health Insurance. Official Japanese Citizenship. Getting a VISA.
Here is my experience of joining Nova English School back before they crashed.

I applied to a newspaper advertisement, had an interview here in Adelaide by staff that had flown in from Melbourne for the day to interview a bunch of people, was notified that I got the job within 2 weeks.

Then there was 2 months of preparation such as passport, a fair bit of paperwork sent to and from the Japanese Embassy in Melbourne to get the working visa, paperwork to and from the private recruitment company based in Melbourne to get plane tickets and accomodation sorted. I paid around $2000 Australian for this bit. This covered the air ticket, first few nights hotel accomodation, visa and first couple of weeks apartment rental.

Then 3 months after the initial interview I was on my way. When I landed in Kansai Airport staff from Nova greeted me and 4 other guys who arrived on the same plane, took us to the train, then another train, then another train (absolutely loved it) then to our hotel rooms.

The next day we had orientation which was quite fun and we also filled out Japanese forms to apply for bank accounts and travel insurance and some other admin stuff, then on the Shinkansen (yeah baby!) to the town in which I would work, Takamatsu in Kagawa prefecture.

More Nova staff met me at the other end and took me to my apartment, then next day off to another city on a fast train to have 3 days training, then started work around 1 week after I arrived in Japan.

I made a big effort to attend the free 2 hour Japanese class every Saturday morning at the "International Community Centre" with a fellow Aussie who had also just arrived in Takamatsu for over a year. By that time I could have a basic chat in Japanese and also find my way around easily and do basic everyday things such as shopping, doctor, banking etc...

Not sure if the English Schools still provide all these services for new arrivals these days but it was absolutely fantastic and no real stress at all, just busy, busy, party, busy, party, busy, busy, busy, party...

Less is more...

http://www.tenmins.com

Last edited by tenmins : 03-29-2011 at 11:53 PM.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
RealJames (Offline)
ボケ外人

03-30-2011, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHAD0W View Post
Can't believe you just booked it, packed it and f**ked off. That takes some real balls man. Seriously well done! Totally awesome dude. I suppose that's the real way to do it, though I'd of secured a job before I set off.

Kudos.

Edit: I can't imagine life without my Honda here in England, but there's no point having a car in Japan.. Constant traffic jams and nowhere to park.
Yeah I guess it was pretty foolish in hindsight, at the time it felt like the only right thing to do haha. I do miss my impreza though... she was a good monster of a car...

Yeah from the day I decided to go to the day I arrived passed 23 nights well 24 if you count the one on the airplane...

マンツーマン 英会話 神戸 三宮 リアライズ -James- This is my life and why I know things about Japan.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
RealJames (Offline)
ボケ外人

03-30-2011, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenmins View Post
Here is my experience of joining Nova English School back before they crashed.

I applied to a newspaper advertisement, had an interview here in Adelaide by staff that had flown in from Melbourne for the day to interview a bunch of people, was notified that I got the job within 2 weeks.

Then there was 2 months of preparation such as passport, a fair bit of paperwork sent to and from the Japanese Embassy in Melbourne to get the working visa, paperwork to and from the private recruitment company based in Melbourne to get plane tickets and accomodation sorted. I paid around $2000 Australian for this bit. This covered the air ticket, first few nights hotel accomodation, visa and first couple of weeks apartment rental.

Then 3 months after the initial interview I was on my way. When I landed in Kansai Airport staff from Nova greeted me and 4 other guys who arrived on the same plane, took us to the train, then another train, then another train (absolutely loved it) then to our hotel rooms.

The next day we had orientation which was quite fun and we also filled out Japanese forms to apply for bank accounts and travel insurance and some other admin stuff, then on the Shinkansen (yeah baby!) to the town in which I would work, Takamatsu in Kagawa prefecture.

More Nova staff met me at the other end and took me to my apartment, then next day off to another city on a fast train to have 3 days training, then started work around 1 week after I arrived in Japan.

I made a big effort to attend the free 2 hour Japanese class every Saturday morning at the "International Community Centre" with a fellow Aussie who had also just arrived in Takamatsu for over a year. By that time I could have a basic chat in Japanese and also find my way around easily and do basic everyday things such as shopping, doctor, banking etc...

Not sure if the English Schools still provide all these services for new arrivals these days but it was absolutely fantastic and no real stress at all, just busy, busy, party, busy, party, busy, busy, busy, party...
It's not quite like that anymore, the English bubble burst after the tech bubble lol... the Lehman thing hit hard too

(#7 (permalink))
Old
tenmins (Offline)
JF Regular

03-30-2011, 05:03 AM

So what parts are different now?
Do the English Schools still organise you accomodation, bank accounts, insurance before you arrive or do you have to do all that stuff yourself now?

Less is more...

http://www.tenmins.com
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
03-30-2011, 05:24 AM

Talked to an acquaintance about being interested in studying Japanese in Japan.
She introduced a Japanese exchange student to me.
We talked about her experience on a homestay while in high school, and how it cost an outrageous amount.
She contacted her mom who was thrilled at the idea of having a student stay with her for close to nothing ($500 for 3 months).

Then... I bought a ticket.
Got my passport.
Packed things.
Got on the plane. Suffered through the WAY too long flight + exchange.
Was picked up at the airport by a friend-of-the-family.

And that is about it, really.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
GoNative (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

03-30-2011, 06:04 AM

My wife and I applied from Australia to teach english through Nova. We had spent the previous winter up at a ski resort in Hokkaido and wanted to have a go at living in Japan. Anyway got accepted with Nova and they organised the sponsored visas, bank accounts, accomm, etc. Got placed in Gunma in summer which is about as hot and humid as I would expect hell to be (I don't handle hot and humid well at all). Wanted to head back up to Hokkaido to escape the heat and contacted a company at the ski resort we had done some work for the previous winter. They advised they had jobs for us and after only 5 weeks with Nova we headed back to Hokkaido. Getting a car is easy and they are incredibly cheap here (2nd hand). Living in a little country town with little public transport a car is essential. We also bought a house. Anyway nearly 8 years later (some of the best years of my life) we are now looking at moving back to Australia to have family support with raising our daughter.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
samokan (Offline)
0xFFFF_FFFF

03-30-2011, 06:21 AM

I used to work for a Japanese company in the Philippines. Had a few business trip , which was my first time to travel abroad. It was also the first time I visited Japan. I liked the trip but I have never thought of moving here.

I got pissed with that company, and decided that if my skill is going to be a commodity at least I can get more money of it. Applied to a Japanese agent who was introduced by a co-worker and friend.

Had an interview after 2 weeks of the application and got accepted after 1 week. Had to wait for 1 month for the COE to arrived , did the visa application and all the necessary requirement.

I applied July and flew to Japan by end of September.

The only money I had that time was $200 and $400 ( borrowed from the company ).

The company prepared everything, from train ticket from airport to home , home to work , house and everything in it including a few days of food.

It was not easy at first, I got sick after a month . I had my first visit to a Japanese clinic that time and work did not go well because of my limited japanese. But after awhile it got better and stayed in that company for more than 4 years

*** Omnia Muntantor, Nihil Interit ***

My Japan Life

-------------------------------------