JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Kyedhen (Offline)
New to JF

Dyed hair and work - 04-24-2011, 08:23 PM

Hi,
I'm thinking about going to Japan to teach English, but one thing I'm worried about is my hair colour. It's currently dyed a rich red colour and I'm wondering if it would be a problem?
Also, are tattoos still a big problem? I have one, it's on my leg so it wouldn't show too much but I don't want it to cause any drama if my employer/students see it.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
myk (Offline)
JF Old Timer

04-24-2011, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyedhen View Post
Also, are tattoos still a big problem? I have one, it's on my leg so it wouldn't show too much but I don't want it to cause any drama if my employer/students see it.
Just wear pants. They won't know it's there if they can't see it.

(#3 (permalink))
Old
RobinMask (Offline)
JF Old Timer

04-24-2011, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myk View Post
Just wear pants. They won't know it's there if they can't see it.
If the original poster is female I don't think she'll be able to in many jobs. Most of the jobs I've seen advertised have specified that women have to wear business suits with skirts, pants/trousers being a no-no.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
BobbyCooper (Offline)
Banned

04-24-2011, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinMask View Post
If the original poster is female I don't think she'll be able to in many jobs. Most of the jobs I've seen advertised have specified that women have to wear business suits with skirts, pants/trousers being a no-no.
Are the Japanese really so strict about Tattoos and Piercings in general?

I mean I find it good if it is that way!
(#5 (permalink))
Old
myk (Offline)
JF Old Timer

04-24-2011, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyCooper View Post

Absolutely they are. And understandably so, they don't value shameless individualism the same way the West does. And it's definitely a good thing.

(#6 (permalink))
Old
RobinMask (Offline)
JF Old Timer

04-24-2011, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyCooper View Post

Oh, I have no idea if they are that strict or not. I just know that (if they are) it may not be a simple case of 'hiding' it, depending on where the tattoo is, as some of the jobs I know require women to wear skirts, in which case the leg would be on show. Tights however - if opaque - would hide any marks on the skin, including tattoos. So in retrospect Myk's point is a good one, it's possible to just hide the tattoo.

I am curious about the dyed hair issue though, does anyone know if that impacts one's chances of getting a job?
(#7 (permalink))
Old
myk (Offline)
JF Old Timer

04-24-2011, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinMask View Post
I am curious about the dyed hair issue though, does anyone know if that impacts one's chances of getting a job?
For the sake of safety, I'd go with a natural color. Like the tattoo, it's don't ask, don't tell. If they can't tell your hair is dyed, they probably won't ask questions.

(#8 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

04-26-2011, 04:26 AM

You might as well lose the dyed hair, it will not impress anyone here, as a foreigner you will get enough stares even with your natural hair color.

Tattoos and body piercings continue to be frowned upon by employers, and even places like amusement/water parks. More than likely, if you apply for a job with one of the larger schools, their dress code will prohibit visible tattoos, but many teachers do wear slacks, so it's not so much of an issue. As for the amusement/water parks, they will simply deny you entrance.

If you interview for a job, be sure to wear something which will cover the tattoo, especially if you are being interviewed by a Japanese.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
RealJames (Offline)
ボケ外人

04-26-2011, 04:51 AM

foreigners can get away with much much more than Japanese people here...

Also, depending on where you're teaching, the employer may understand that the students generally want the authenticity over the Japan-afflicted version of a westerner to speak with.

As a teacher, I've had my hair died a few different colors, all natural though, and frequently had stubble for a few days while changing beard styles. None of it was even remotely negatively received. In fact it sparked good conversations about cultural differences in employment.

Tattoos are generally fine on foreigners, most people understand that from wherever they're from it doesn't mean the same as it does in Japan.

Consider also that many of those people learning English have either been abroad, are interested in going abroad, or require frequent contact with foreigners due to work etc. In other words, they know how it is elsewhere.

As a teacher, there's no prerequisite to wear a skirt lol. That's absurd.
Although I'd love to be the dirtbag boss that insisted upon it from his Japanese staff and female teachers... maybe it's time to revise that dress code! ;D

マンツーマン 英会話 神戸 三宮 リアライズ -James- This is my life and why I know things about Japan.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
RobinMask (Offline)
JF Old Timer

04-26-2011, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealJames View Post
As a teacher, there's no prerequisite to wear a skirt lol. That's absurd.
Although I'd love to be the dirtbag boss that insisted upon it from his Japanese staff and female teachers... maybe it's time to revise that dress code! ;D
At the risk of hijacking someone else's thread . . . yes, I know it's absurd, but I have seen it asked (whether it's legal or not, I'm not too sure). Its been in occasional job postings, and it's also on the James English School webpage: James English School - Teachers - now, perhaps I'm misreading it, but to me it really seems to heavily imply skirts for female teachers are mandatory :-/

I'm actually hoping it's like you said, and that there's no prerequisite, because whilst I own many suits I don't own a single skirt, and it seems somewhat sexist to me, too. So yeah, lol, hopefully someone can let me know what the deal is on that front, it'd be hugely helpful.