JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
RealJames (Offline)
ボケ外人

06-19-2011, 05:14 AM

Learning any language from very little to academic in 18 months sounds like the most stressful 18 months anyone can experience....

Let alone a language with Chinese characters, Kanji.

I doubt I could learn an academic level of Kanji alone, excluding spoken etc, in 18 months! And I'm a pretty smart dude... lol

マンツーマン 英会話 神戸 三宮 リアライズ -James- This is my life and why I know things about Japan.
(#12 (permalink))
Old
ryuurui (Offline)
Japanese calligrapher

06-19-2011, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
I have been a student of Japanese for over 20 years, and I doubt I could pass any university exam worth its beans.

It takes approximately three times as long for an English speaker to learn Japanese as it does another romance language. Could you realistically learn enough French in 6 months, starting from scratch, to enter a university?

If someone told me they could teach me enough Japanese in 1.5 years to be not only fluent, but intelligent enough to pass a university exam, I would be very suspicious. Why does it take Japanese natives 12 years of education to get to that level, if Nippon Center can do it in 18 months?
Well, it depends on the school, I was between the old 2 and 1 kyuu after 1.5 year of private school in Tokyo, but you need to work your butt off every day. After 2 years we were ready for 1 kyuu. Also depends on personal language learning ability (I have friends married to Japanese girls for 7 years or more and they can barely say good morning), I was soaking it like a sponge. On the other hand, send me to a math class where my absent-mindedness kicks in, and suddenly 2+2 is 5 because it looks more artisctic lol.

Anyways, we learned in Japanese from day 0, from the text books only in Japanese, and the teachers were really good. So yeah, it all depends on how you study and who teaches you.

Last edited by ryuurui : 06-19-2011 at 02:43 PM.
(#13 (permalink))
Old
Caspar (Offline)
New to JF

06-19-2011, 09:29 PM

Ok thanks for the comments, but now back to the topic:

Is it hard to get into amateur soccer team?

And is it true that you can find free tennis courts ?

Thank you