JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Caspar (Offline)
New to JF

Moving to Kyoto next April - 06-18-2011, 03:17 PM

first thing first, i want to say thank you everyone for making that many threads and sharing your knowledge and experience
about Japan. It really helped me to rethinking many times "why i want to move to Japan" and to find an answer.

I'm 22 years old, i'm from Europe, 2 years ago i studied abroad in Denmark but i dropped out(didn't like Engineering) and took
1 year off so that i could find out what i want to be in next 10 years.

Now i know what i want to be and i already found a University in Kagawa, so the only problem is language.

I found a school in Kyoto School in Kyoto, HOME - Japanese Language School in Kyoto | NIHONGO CENTER : 日本語センター, and the feedback was good. So i was thinking maybe someone who is/were studying there and can share
some information about school?

Next is activities, soccer and tennis are sports that i play everyday, but in Japan the price for using tennis court for 1 hour is very expensive, so i have few questions:

1)Soccer: i want to find a amateur team, so that i can train at least 5 times a week for 2 hours, but i heard that they don't like to take Gaijins in there teams
is it true?

2)I read in internet that there are free tennis courts in Kyoto, does someone know where i can find them?

i wanted to ask about apartments, but nah maybe some other time.

Thank you

Last edited by Caspar : 06-18-2011 at 03:44 PM.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

06-18-2011, 03:46 PM

Does Kagawa U. teach in English (the English part of their site has many dead links and little information)?

If not, are you prepared to spend the next 4+ years in intensive study to possibly pass the entrance exam?

I think these are the important questions before looking for cheap soccer and tennis facilities.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Caspar (Offline)
New to JF

06-18-2011, 04:33 PM

To MMM:
I'm choosing Kagawa U. to study in Japanese.

i contacted with nihongo-centre few months ago and i asked them how many years does it take for students to be able to pass the university exams and they said 1.5-2 years.
If i really will need 4+ years to be able to pass the exams, than i will take extra classes, and will try my best to pass the exams if not in 2 years than in 3.

and finding "cheap" place where i can sport is an important than other things i want to accomplish in Japan including university

Thank you
(#4 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

06-18-2011, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caspar View Post
To MMM:
I'm choosing Kagawa U. to study in Japanese.

i contacted with nihongo-centre few months ago and i asked them how many years does it take for students to be able to pass the university exams and they said 1.5-2 years.
If i really will need 4+ years to be able to pass the exams, than i will take extra classes, and will try my best to pass the exams if not in 2 years than in 3.

and finding "cheap" place where i can sport is an important than other things i want to accomplish in Japan including university

Thank you
I have been a student of Japanese for over 20 years, and I doubt I could pass any university exam worth its beans.

It takes approximately three times as long for an English speaker to learn Japanese as it does another romance language. Could you realistically learn enough French in 6 months, starting from scratch, to enter a university?

If someone told me they could teach me enough Japanese in 1.5 years to be not only fluent, but intelligent enough to pass a university exam, I would be very suspicious. Why does it take Japanese natives 12 years of education to get to that level, if Nippon Center can do it in 18 months?
(#5 (permalink))
Old
WingsToDiscovery (Offline)
JF Noob

06-18-2011, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
It takes approximately three times as long for an English speaker to learn Japanese as it does another romance language.
English is Germanic

I'm not a cynic; I just like to play Devil's Advocate once in a while.
My photos from Japan and around the world:
http://www.flickr.com/dylanwphotography
(#6 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

06-18-2011, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingsToDiscovery View Post
English is Germanic
Thank you, I understand English is not a romance language, but it is much closer to French and Spanish than it is to Japanese.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
JF Noob

06-18-2011, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Thank you, I understand English is not a romance language, but it is much closer to French and Spanish than it is to Japanese.
It was just that your sentence was comparative.

(#8 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

06-18-2011, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingsToDiscovery View Post
It was just that your sentence was comparative.
I get it. I used a word incorrectly.

I am more interested in knowing if you think someone can know no Japanese, study for 18 months, and get into a Japanese university.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
Caspar (Offline)
New to JF

06-18-2011, 06:44 PM

Quote:
I have been a student of Japanese for over 20 years, and I doubt I could pass any university exam worth its beans.

It takes approximately three times as long for an English speaker to learn Japanese as it does another romance language. Could you realistically learn enough French in 6 months, starting from scratch, to enter a university?

If someone told me they could teach me enough Japanese in 1.5 years to be not only fluent, but intelligent enough to pass a university exam, I would be very suspicious. Why does it take Japanese natives 12 years of education to get to that level, if Nippon Center can do it in 18 months?
MMM i will never question you because you're few of those forum members that knows what is what, and i already read your posts in other threads i know you're right and i respect you.
I'm not saying that nihongo centre will teach me "perfect" japanese in 2 years or 3, it's just what they said and if thats not right than it's no problem, than if i'll could not get in the University in the 3th year, i will study another year and another year. I will try as long as it needs because i want to get into university very very much, but it's not my main goal, so i can wait as long as it takes
(#10 (permalink))
Old
JF Noob

06-19-2011, 05:03 AM

Quote:
I get it. I used a word incorrectly.

I am more interested in knowing if you think someone can know no Japanese, study for 18 months, and get into a Japanese university.
Well I'm not really sure about your opinion on going the other direction, from Japanese to English, but my school offers a program that's basically a college level ESL program that teaches students anywhere from no English to Academic level, and I think it can be done (assuming the student starts in the most beginner course) in something like 2 years, maybe even a bit less. Even my Japanese program says on paper that I should be entering advanced Japanese courses by the end of two years, and while there's a lot of difference between school language and real life language, that's really on you to learn the language more practically.