JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
tolora (Offline)
New to JF

Going over in March for an interview with Peppy's Kids Club...Any advice? - 02-01-2009, 11:57 AM

Hi guys!

I'll be heading over to Nagoya in March to have an interview with Peppy's Kids Club. I have been going through websites to find out how past and current teachers there find the school but the posts are really old. Anyone currently teaching with Peppy's to offer me some advice? I'm really excited about the interview and hope I'll get it. Does Peppy employ people who aren't native English speakers? Coz I'm a Singaporean Chinese but English has always been my first language and I've studied in the States for awhile for university.

I'm wondering what my chances of getting employed are like?

Thank you so much!
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Akira3000 (Offline)
New to JF

02-01-2009, 01:54 PM

Ive got an interview in 2 days with peppy also . I need some info as a lot of forums are old posters.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
mrnicekid (Offline)
JF Regular

02-01-2009, 03:36 PM

i've never heard of Peppy's Kids Club, but i do hear a lot of complaints from chinese americans (who speak perfect english grammar, even better than a native speaker) who got rejected when applying to be an English teacher just because he/she is not the typical Caucasian ie not white enough.

i do wish for the best of things to happen to you though!
(#4 (permalink))
Old
spicytuna (Offline)
JF Old Timer

02-01-2009, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnicekid View Post
i've never heard of Peppy's Kids Club, but i do hear a lot of complaints from chinese americans (who speak perfect english grammar, even better than a native speaker) who got rejected when applying to be an English teacher just because he/she is not the typical Caucasian ie not white enough.
That's really unfortunate but I've heard similar comments from some of my Japanese Canadian friends who were teaching English. They didn't have a problem with the employer but some of the students expressed their disappointment for having a "Japanese" teacher.

Japanese Canadians have it rough in Japan. Since we have a Japanese face and name, we're overburdened by high expectations in terms of our language skills. Even if we're 3rd or 4th generation.

When I'm in Japan, I always make it a habit to speak English on my first encounter with someone - even if I speak perfect Japanese. Otherwise, I'm simply seen as a Japanese citizen who happens to speak perfect English.

Anyways, sorry for the hijack Tolora. I'm sure you'll have no problems. You may want to check with gaijinpot.com for additional input. There are tons of English teachers on that site.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
tolora (Offline)
New to JF

02-03-2009, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira3000 View Post
Ive got an interview in 2 days with peppy also . I need some info as a lot of forums are old posters.
All the best Akira!Let me know how your interview goes...It'll be great advice for me.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Akira3000 (Offline)
New to JF

02-05-2009, 08:07 AM

Thanks dude. Well i had the interview yesterday and it went well. I will be emailed next week and told if i have got the job.

As far as the interview goes it was pretty standard. They ask a fair few quesions. Just be confident when answering every question and show willingness to teach English to children.

I was also shown a video on how they work by the company curriculum. Ill let you know if i have got the job or not next week when i find out.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask.

Last edited by Akira3000 : 02-05-2009 at 10:16 AM.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
tolora (Offline)
New to JF

02-07-2009, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Thanks dude. Well i had the interview yesterday and it went well. I will be emailed next week and told if i have got the job.

As far as the interview goes it was pretty standard. They ask a fair few quesions. Just be confident when answering every question and show willingness to teach English to children.

I was also shown a video on how they work by the company curriculum. Ill let you know if i have got the job or not next week when i find out.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask.
Cool! By the way hope you dun mind me asking...which country are you from? What kinda questions were you asked? Were you interviewed by Mr Jason Wright?In your view what's the chances of you getting the job?

My apologies for all the questions but I'm really curious...really hope I get the job too.Only worry is that I'm asian....

Thanks for the info Akira!
(#8 (permalink))
Old
tolora (Offline)
New to JF

02-07-2009, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spicytuna View Post
That's really unfortunate but I've heard similar comments from some of my Japanese Canadian friends who were teaching English. They didn't have a problem with the employer but some of the students expressed their disappointment for having a "Japanese" teacher.

Japanese Canadians have it rough in Japan. Since we have a Japanese face and name, we're overburdened by high expectations in terms of our language skills. Even if we're 3rd or 4th generation.

When I'm in Japan, I always make it a habit to speak English on my first encounter with someone - even if I speak perfect Japanese. Otherwise, I'm simply seen as a Japanese citizen who happens to speak perfect English.

Anyways, sorry for the hijack Tolora. I'm sure you'll have no problems. You may want to check with gaijinpot.com for additional input. There are tons of English teachers on that site.
Oh by the way,thanks man!I'll check out as many websites as I can before my interview.Anyone has any idea if English teachers are in need now in Japan?Just curious....
(#9 (permalink))
Old
Akira3000 (Offline)
New to JF

02-08-2009, 08:16 AM

Im from Australia and i wasn't interviewed by Jason Wright. Questions were no brainers really.

They are really just making sure you are keen to teach children and things like:

- You wont be homesick on your stay.
- You are punctual
- You will complete the 12 month contract.
- You are flexible to work in whichever region/prefecture.

If your english is proficient then i dont think it should be a problem for you being employed.

Make sure your writing skills are good as i was tested on this. (Getting me to write a paragraph on any subject of my choice.) Hope this helps you Tolora and good luck on your interview.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
tolora (Offline)
New to JF

02-09-2009, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Im from Australia and i wasn't interviewed by Jason Wright. Questions were no brainers really.

They are really just making sure you are keen to teach children and things like:

- You wont be homesick on your stay.
- You are punctual
- You will complete the 12 month contract.
- You are flexible to work in whichever region/prefecture.

If your english is proficient then i dont think it should be a problem for you being employed.

Make sure your writing skills are good as i was tested on this. (Getting me to write a paragraph on any subject of my choice.) Hope this helps you Tolora and good luck on your interview.
Thank you so much for all your advice Akira!Did they get you to do a demonstration of a class in session?I wonder why they take 1 week to make a decision.It would take so much of the anxiety away if they can make their decision in a couple of days or on the day itself...