JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
PokemonTrainer (Offline)
JF Regular

02-09-2009, 04:20 PM

This is going to sound really dumb, but can anyone explain Peppy for me?

I can guess that its for english teachers? so is it like JET or do you actuallly need teaching qualifications?

Just call me PokéFan!
My Platinum Team:
(#12 (permalink))
Old
Akira3000 (Offline)
New to JF

02-10-2009, 03:39 AM

Quote:
Thank you so much for all your advice Akira!Did they get you to do a demonstration of a class in session?I wonder why they take 1 week to make a decision.It would take so much of the anxiety away if they can make their decision in a couple of days or on the day itself...
No problem buddy.

I didnt have to do a demo, but you will need to explain different tactics and methods for teaching... eg minigames, flashcards, songs etc. etc.
(#13 (permalink))
Old
tolora (Offline)
New to JF

02-12-2009, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira3000 View Post
No problem buddy.

I didnt have to do a demo, but you will need to explain different tactics and methods for teaching... eg minigames, flashcards, songs etc. etc.
Hi Akira! Sounds good...Oh by the way,any news whether you've gotten the job?I'm excited for you!
(#14 (permalink))
Old
tolora (Offline)
New to JF

02-12-2009, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PokemonTrainer View Post
This is going to sound really dumb, but can anyone explain Peppy for me?

I can guess that its for english teachers? so is it like JET or do you actuallly need teaching qualifications?
Hey hey you can try checking out their website:

itti.com

All the information about Peppy is there.
(#15 (permalink))
Old
Akira3000 (Offline)
New to JF

02-12-2009, 07:19 AM

My application was reviewed but not successful. I replied and asked why it wasnt accepted. Ill let you know when i get a reply.
(#16 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

02-13-2009, 02:00 AM

Teaching children in conversational schools like Peppy doesn't require a lot of English skill or ability. The most important thing is that the kids have fun. The interviewer will be looking at how well you will relate to children, and a lot of this has to do with personality and appearance, and very little with actual English ability.

At your interview you must appear very friendly. Smile a lot, and make sure to tell your interviewer how much you love children. You should brush up on whatever children's songs in English that you know, and you should be able to demonstrate a game or two that children would like. Games using dice (which help children to learn counting up to 12), flash cards using things like the alphabet, numbers, colors, days of week, etc. are useful.

Being Asian will be a drawback, the parents usually want a western teacher. It may not be fair, but image is often more important than real substance, and parents often think that a western teacher will be able to bring a little culture to the language lesson.

Once again, smile, be friendly, and good luck.
(#17 (permalink))
Old
Naoko (Offline)
Evil Muffin 奈央子

Send a message via AIM to Naoko
02-13-2009, 02:17 AM

Quote:
so is it like JET or do you actuallly need teaching qualifications?
I thought you had to have a degree to work for JET?

外人警報発令中!!!! ヽ(`Д')ノ
My Japanese still sucks. Feel free to correct me! Any constructive criticism is appreciated.((どうも、ナゴナゴさん!!))
(#18 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

02-13-2009, 02:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naoko View Post
I thought you had to have a degree to work for JET?
You do...but you don't need any teaching qualifications.
(#19 (permalink))
Old
Naoko (Offline)
Evil Muffin 奈央子

Send a message via AIM to Naoko
02-13-2009, 03:16 AM

Ahh, gotcha.

外人警報発令中!!!! ヽ(`Д')ノ
My Japanese still sucks. Feel free to correct me! Any constructive criticism is appreciated.((どうも、ナゴナゴさん!!))
(#20 (permalink))
Old
tolora (Offline)
New to JF

02-13-2009, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sangetsu View Post
Teaching children in conversational schools like Peppy doesn't require a lot of English skill or ability. The most important thing is that the kids have fun. The interviewer will be looking at how well you will relate to children, and a lot of this has to do with personality and appearance, and very little with actual English ability.

At your interview you must appear very friendly. Smile a lot, and make sure to tell your interviewer how much you love children. You should brush up on whatever children's songs in English that you know, and you should be able to demonstrate a game or two that children would like. Games using dice (which help children to learn counting up to 12), flash cards using things like the alphabet, numbers, colors, days of week, etc. are useful.

Being Asian will be a drawback, the parents usually want a western teacher. It may not be fair, but image is often more important than real substance, and parents often think that a western teacher will be able to bring a little culture to the language lesson.

Once again, smile, be friendly, and good luck.
Hi Sangetsu!Sweet advice...thank you! Hmmm...I guess I kinda saw it coming.The being Asian part. That's why I was surprised when I was invited for an interview,even though I had my photo on my CV and my nationality is Singaporean Chinese. I was so close to asking Mr Wright if I will be making a wasted trip but decided against it. I'm hoping for the best.

Anyhow,do you happen to know if Asians have been employed by Peppy before?

Arigatou gozaimasu!