JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Karan000 (Offline)
New to JF

Studying in Japan? (University) - 07-30-2011, 10:49 AM

I've been considering studying in Japan for while as my 'high schooling' comes towards an end. My marks are actually pretty decent, enough for me to apply as a doctor/dentist/veterinarian/engineer etc (pretty much all the high level jobs and such, of course getting into the course would be a different story because I would have to be first interviewed).

My ability to speak Japanese is OK, I'm sure with the time I've got left I can brush it up and become fluent if I put my mind to it.

So my question is if anybody knows any suitable universities which accept International students and are preferably in Tokyo/Kyoto, but I'm open to any location.

I'm looking to get into a decent course (Medicine, IT/Computer Science, Nuclear physics), pretty much anything which is high leveled and would get a decent pay.

I've had a look at some universities but I had trouble navigating through them and finding the proper information, so any help would be great!

Thanks .
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Lonthego (Offline)
JF Regular

08-06-2011, 07:39 PM

Many universities want to see that prospective foreign students have passed level 1 of the JLPT, which is around 1800 kanji I think and advanced grammar, but for whatever reason does not test speaking.

To be honest, I think it would be more beneficial if you went to university in the US, and did an exchange in Japan. I too once considered going to university in Japan, and was very close to doing it. The thing is though that US degrees are good almost everywhere, and Japanese degrees are really only good in Japan, and the quality of higher education in Japan save for a select few universities is actually on the poor side. University in Japan is basically a time for students to relax, because getting in is the hard part (the 'nyuushi' or entrance exams), and staying in requires little effort. Most students (and unfortunately their employers) care only about the name of the university they go to.

You need to be really honest about your Japanese skills here. Do you really think you could handle nuclear physics in Japanese? Speaking as an interpreter & translator who has studied the language for almost a decade, people don't just go from completing high school Japanese, to being able to read university textbooks about nuclear physics, or listening to professors lecture about it. I don't know your Japanese skills, maybe you could be a prodigy, or someone who grew up speaking the language, that's not for me to judge, but in any case you need to think long and hard about it: could four years of structured and systematic Japanese be of benefit for you? A US university could provide that. Or do you feel confident enough in your abilities to jump right into a Japanese university, knowing that people there won't be able to help you or explain grammar/words you do not understand? Also: do you think your interests could change? Most Japanese universities frown upon people changing their "majors", whereas most American students find themselves doing it at least once or twice in their undergraduate career.

I'm not trying to discourage you, I'm pretty sure I know how you feel..just wanting to get to Japan and live there..because that's how I felt too. And to that end I think a US university education and the opportunities it offers gave me a lot more tools to be able to do that than a Japanese university could. You can always study abroad during your undergraduate career, or go to post-grad Japanese universities that have a connection with your US university after you graduate. There are some amazing opportunities and programs that will let you live and study in Japan, all the while building up your skills and credentials that will let you live in Japan as long as you like when the time comes.

My Japan Blog (lots of pics and experiences of living in Japan..with some of Thailand too)
Latest Entry = Today's Journey (click)

Last edited by Lonthego : 08-06-2011 at 07:44 PM.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
BobbyCooper (Offline)
Banned

08-06-2011, 09:28 PM

What about the many Universities in English?
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Lonthego (Offline)
JF Regular

08-06-2011, 10:54 PM

Oh I was under the impression that the OP wanted to do a regular Japanese university in Japanese. But if that's not the case there are some options, Waseda comes to mind WASEDA UNIVERSITY Center for International Education :::Admissions:::

My Japan Blog (lots of pics and experiences of living in Japan..with some of Thailand too)
Latest Entry = Today's Journey (click)
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Chess (Offline)
JF Regular

08-10-2011, 03:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonthego View Post
Many universities want to see that prospective foreign students have passed level 1 of the JLPT
JLPT 1? No way! That's too damn hard, I thought JLPT 2 will do?