JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
mugen0011 (Offline)
New to JF

Obtaining Student Visa - 09-15-2011, 05:01 AM

I have just got admission into the Graduate School of Engineering at University of Tokyo. According to my university, it claims that I need 1,500,000 yen or more in my account in order to obtain a student visa. However, since I don't have nearly that much in my account, since I have basically just received my Undergraduate degree, I was wondering what I need to do in order to obtain a student visa. Unfortunately I can't apply for scholarships immediately since I was not a part of the school, and my admission was uncertain. I don't mind working while studying because that's what I did back at my old university for my undergraduate career. If it's impossible to obtain the student visa without that amount, I guess I'll have to ask my parents for help in order to apply for the visa, but I don't really want to resort to that. Any advice from anyone that has been in a similar situation would be extremely helpful.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
masaegu (Offline)
永遠の愛

09-15-2011, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mugen0011 View Post
I have just got admission into the Graduate School of Engineering at University of Tokyo. According to my university, it claims that I need 1,500,000 yen or more in my account in order to obtain a student visa. However, since I don't have nearly that much in my account, since I have basically just received my Undergraduate degree, I was wondering what I need to do in order to obtain a student visa. Unfortunately I can't apply for scholarships immediately since I was not a part of the school, and my admission was uncertain. I don't mind working while studying because that's what I did back at my old university for my undergraduate career. If it's impossible to obtain the student visa without that amount, I guess I'll have to ask my parents for help in order to apply for the visa, but I don't really want to resort to that. Any advice from anyone that has been in a similar situation would be extremely helpful.
Must the account be in your name? Could you not use a family member's account accompanied by an affidavit of support by him/her?

Your Japanese proficiency shall be in direct proportion
to your true interest in the Japanese Mind.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
mugen0011 (Offline)
New to JF

09-15-2011, 05:23 AM

That is something I want to do as a last resort. I just need enough time to find a scholarship while I am there which is around 6 months of time. The account doesn't have to be in my name, it can be in the name of my parents, family or friends.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
09-15-2011, 05:49 PM

From what I have heard, the money doesn't have to stay in the account. Basically, they just want proof that you have access to enough money to support yourself while in Japan.
It seems to be pretty common to borrow the money, show proof of it being in your account, and then return the money to whoever you borrowed it from... Or just show the account of family with enough.

As it really is just to prove that the money is there and can be accessed by you in the case of an emergency, I wouldn't consider it a last resort to ask family. It isn't as if you are going to spend the money - just show that it exists if you need it for some unforeseen reason.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.