JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   Living in Japan (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/living-japan/)
-   -   Tipping in Japan (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/living-japan/4343-tipping-japan.html)

Mothling 05-12-2007 08:27 PM

I actually find the way that tipping is so expected in America to be quite rude to be totally honest.

When I visited, my friends were always like "You must leave a tip, its how they do things here," and I would simply reply "If they deserve a tip, then I'll tip what I think they deserve."

One diner in LA actually put the tip charge on the bill! Safe to say, they didn't get one.

Ron 05-12-2007 08:39 PM

Tip more my heart pain..... Tip less my ear pain.. so no tipping is great:vsign:

cocoluvnihon 05-13-2007 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mothling (Post 123167)
I actually find the way that tipping is so expected in America to be quite rude to be totally honest.

When I visited, my friends were always like "You must leave a tip, its how they do things here," and I would simply reply "If they deserve a tip, then I'll tip what I think they deserve."

One diner in LA actually put the tip charge on the bill! Safe to say, they didn't get one.

I agree I think we can learn a lot from Japan when it comes to being polite and the environment :p

Mattleninja 05-28-2007 07:03 PM

I like the rule, I've never tipped in England...I don't think people do tip in England anyway.

But it saves me money if I don't have to tip, so it's all good.

kyodiru 06-25-2007 11:38 AM

I have never tipped in Japan, and I dont know anyone who has. The only thing that I have heard about is sometimes people will "tip" the taxi driver or something, if they dont want to bother with the change and just tell them to keep the change. I did hear on another forum one time about someone tipping in a resturant here, and they split it between all of the employees.

vulgarshudder 06-25-2007 01:19 PM

Tipping in England is an annoying trend of recent years. 9 times out of 10 they don't deserve it. I'll only tip IF they haven't given me agro.

No tipping in Japan is awesome, the service charge is included in the bill if there is one. No tipping and top rate service still...it's how it should be.

And uh you don't tip hosts. You can give 'underhand' money to you shimei host buuuut management for obvious reasons doesn't like it. The idea is to spend more money at the club (if you weally weallllly rove them), so they get a cut of the sales and it goes towards their monthly uriage, and if they're in the top 3 or so sales they'll get a bonus.

jasonbvr 06-25-2007 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mothling (Post 123167)

It's expected because waiters/waitresses make below the minimum wage. Average hourly rate for a server in NC is 2.35 an hour which basically pays for your income tax. What you make in tips is what you live off of. But, shitty service and I give a shitty tip. If it is honestly not the server's fault then, I complain to the restaurant, get the meal for free and tip the server.

SgtBeavis 06-25-2007 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jasonbvr (Post 161282)
It's expected because waiters/waitresses make below the minimum wage. Average hourly rate for a server in NC is 2.35 an hour which basically pays for your income tax. What you make in tips is what you live off of. But, shitty service and I give a shitty tip. If it is honestly not the server's fault then, I complain to the restaurant, get the meal for free and tip the server.

Exactly. I ALWAYS tip. But I've tipped as little as one penny (wrote it on the receipt too)

Our customs are just different than those in Japan. When in Rome...........

Kanji_The_Wanderer 06-26-2007 02:10 AM

To me it makes sense why they would think it is rude in you tip them.They are a prideful race I am sure, so if you give them extra money, they might take it as "I don't get paid much so you give me a tip because you have pitty on me"? Is it something like that?

Maku 06-26-2007 02:46 AM

I've never tipped or been tipped, so it makes no difference to me.
I've seen tipping almost like scrounging, but I guess that's because in the UK nobody tips anyone, so different cultures treat little gestures like that differently.