JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Revenant (Offline)
New to JF

Passport required if have Permanent Residency? - 07-07-2015, 07:17 PM

Hi, I have Permamenyt Residency valid until 2021, and the card was issued to me in July of 2014. I think I remember taking my passport, which had already expired in May 2014 to show my Permanent Residency Stamp in my passport when I got my Residency card, so I don't think a valid passport is necessary, but I was just wanted to make sure as I have a couple potential employers who ask to see scans on my passport photo page (showing my passport has expired) and the Permanent Residency Stamp in my passport.

On the Japan immigration website, it says they will no longer put visa stamps in passports of mid to long term residents.

I think the only time I need a valid passport is if I'm traveling outside Japan, and so I don't think I need a passport until next year after March.

Can anyone confirm if I need a passport now or not?
(#2 (permalink))
Old
RadioKid (Offline)
Native Japanese

Send a message via Yahoo to RadioKid
07-08-2015, 01:48 PM

Q&A22 in this Japanese page states the stamp will not sealed on your passport.

Human resource staff of your company will take care of it. Consult them for your issue showing the page above.

Language makes Culture and Culture makes Language.

Links to Japan forum Tips :
1) How to remove spam massages on you screen
2) How to post Youtube movies or Pictures

... and
Ask professional translator for your business work. You can not get useful business resources for free.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Revenant (Offline)
New to JF

07-10-2015, 02:23 PM

That's what I stated in my OP and thought. I called immigration and asked them, and after they consulted some other people, told me it wasn't necessary to have a valid passport to stay in Japan, cause I have permanent residency.