JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#21 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

07-23-2007, 08:31 AM

Japanese are used to carrying around more cash than we are. And yes, the local ATMs are mostly only available when the bank is open. It takes a little while to get used to, but also means that you need to get used to paying cash...and having enough cash on hand to make it through the weekend.

Japanese aren't big fans of "Can I borrow money to get home", it sounds like you are a poor planner if you have to ask to borrow money, so be prepared to walk around with (the equivalent of) a few hundred dollars at a time.
(#22 (permalink))
Old
Tyler (Offline)
JF Regular

07-24-2007, 03:47 AM

It looks like I'm going to have to get used to carrying around the equivalent of hundreds of dollars around on me at all times.
Right now, I don't even carry change on me.

So MUFG and SMBC are both banks right? Is the MUFG card a bank card or a credit card or something else entirely?

Samokan, do you have accounts with both these banks? I was a little confused when you said
Quote:
I use transfer/wire money directly from MUFG to SMBC directly from ATM machine and I pay around 300yen flat, no matter what amount.
(#23 (permalink))
Old
Tyler (Offline)
JF Regular

07-24-2007, 04:05 AM

A couple people mentioned Shinsei bank.
I was looking at their website and the account they offer to english speakers.
It was looking pretty good until I noticed something.
Apparently, your alien registration card can't say you are a "temporary visitor."
I'll only be in Japan a year so I'll probably be listed as just that.
(#24 (permalink))
Old
samokan (Offline)
0xFFFF_FFFF

07-24-2007, 05:42 AM

yes MUFG and SMBC are both banks.

Its complicated to explain why I need to transfer money to both banks, suffice it to say, you can transfer money between banks if there is the need.

Since you will be in Japan for a year , you are more than qualified to open an account, heck I was even able to open an account when I stayed for 110 days.

*** Omnia Muntantor, Nihil Interit ***

My Japan Life

-------------------------------------
(#25 (permalink))
Old
Tyler (Offline)
JF Regular

09-16-2007, 02:16 PM

Does anyone know if you can send a wire transfer to a Japan postal savings account??
(#26 (permalink))
Old
vulgarshudder (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-16-2007, 11:05 PM

Tempoary vistitor is a 3 month tourist visa, if you are studying for a year you will be able to get an account.

About HSBC's international banking.....I'm not sure how that works since I've never seen a branch or anything...

I have a Mitsui Tomo account, pretty average bank for Japan. They did give me a credit card recently when I went to order a new cash card, not that you really need one in Japan anyway.

おれんとこ来ないか?
(#27 (permalink))
Old
Tyler (Offline)
JF Regular

09-17-2007, 01:22 PM

thanks for the info
but, do you happen to have any info on the japanese post office accounts??
(#28 (permalink))
Old
samokan (Offline)
0xFFFF_FFFF

09-18-2007, 01:05 AM

you can open a post office account anytime The process is the same as any bank. The advantage is you can withdraw money from any post-office atm machine without charge.

*** Omnia Muntantor, Nihil Interit ***

My Japan Life

-------------------------------------
(#29 (permalink))
Old
Tyler (Offline)
JF Regular

09-18-2007, 04:04 AM

Ya I really want to get a post office account since post offices are everywhere. And I can use the ATMs.

The only thing that is stopping me is I don't know if I can make wire transfers TO a Japan Postal savings account.

Can anyone tell me anything about Japan postal accounts and wire transfers/telegraphic transfers??

Thanks thanks
(#30 (permalink))
Old
snowcat (Offline)
New to JF

11-12-2007, 09:12 AM

hi all, i have a bit of a sketchy question.

when applying for a credit card or bank loan (i.e. for a car or house) in japan (as a foreigner) do they check your credit with overseas credit agencies? my credit here in canada is pretty banged up due to a long battle with the student loan services (don't get me started).

anyway, i'm not a bad debtor or impoverished or anything, but i would like to start with a clean slate in japan. i'll be in the country on a working holiday visa initially, a student visa after that, and a spousal visa after that (basically, i won't be leaving japan).

looking forward to any info that can shed light on the situation.