JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
InsaneTangerine (Offline)
New to JF

Will I be able to find a job as a preschool teacher in Nihon? - 07-24-2007, 12:03 PM

I am currently engaged to be married and attending college to become a preschool teacher. My fiancé is considering moving to Japan to find more work in his field (animation). Becoming a preschool teacher has a lot of legal requirements to both earn certification and be in practice in America, and if I move I'll have to go to school all over again. I have been reading about education in Japan and have yet to see any mention of preschool. Would teaching preschool be a practical job for me there?
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
07-24-2007, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTangerine View Post
I am currently engaged to be married and attending college to become a preschool teacher. My fiancé is considering moving to Japan to find more work in his field (animation). Becoming a preschool teacher has a lot of legal requirements to both earn certification and be in practice in America, and if I move I'll have to go to school all over again. I have been reading about education in Japan and have yet to see any mention of preschool. Would teaching preschool be a practical job for me there?
Teaching in a preschool would require proper, fluent Japanese - and a very in depth knowledge of Japanese culture. Japanese preschools focus on life skills and proper grammar/vocabulary.

I have no doubt that you could probably find some little preschool that would be happy to have you come in to do a little song and dance in English for an hour every other day... But you would need quite a few qualifications (other than just academic) to be a real teacher.

If you fulfill the requirements, I see no reason why you wouldn`t be able to be a preschool teacher.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
jasonbvr (Offline)
TrixR4Kidz

07-25-2007, 12:08 AM

I suggest simply being an English teacher in the public schools. ALT's have less pressure on them than Japanese teachers and the difference in pay between a kindergarten/elementary school teacher is probably not that much. (Some regular teachers make less than ALT's even though they work more.)