JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
frankuk (Offline)
New to JF

I want to move to Japan PLEASE HELP... - 07-27-2007, 02:51 PM

Hi, my girlfriend and I are looking to move to Japan next year. We are both 24, both Scottish and very hard working. We both are dead set on seeing more of the world and believe that the far East would provide us with some magnificient life experience. So, we need some advice...well...a lot of advice.

Firstly, how hard would it be to find a job, accomodation etc...Would we need any specific qualifications?

Are there people out there who could house us, and help us to find job's at the beggining?

I am basically looking for anyone to help us get started on our long journey to the far East, I hope that someone out there has teh advice and expertise we are looking for.

Many Thanks
Frank Mitchell.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Yggdrazzil (Offline)
Gone since 02-08-2007

Send a message via MSN to Yggdrazzil
07-27-2007, 02:53 PM

Well if you are dead set on seeing more of the world, it might be a better idea to do start with something of a world trip before you settle down in any place I mean there is more than just japan, to the rest of the world. Sorry for sounding cheeky I really mean it well

Bye
(#3 (permalink))
Old
frankuk (Offline)
New to JF

07-27-2007, 05:56 PM

ok no problem, no offense taken, I was just looking to completley change where I am living, getting as far from where I am from as possible. Japan is where we REALLY want to go though, not to SETTLE down, but to live for a while at least.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
RacerX (Offline)
New to JF

07-29-2007, 04:56 AM

You need to get a job before you go, not after you arrive. Also, what other countries do you hope to see? It can be a little expensive to "see the world" using Japan as your base!

-- Edo Kurosawa
Author, "50 Things We Love About Japan"
(#5 (permalink))
Old
frankuk (Offline)
New to JF

07-30-2007, 09:28 AM

I dont plan on using Japan as a base. I plan on moving there and staying for a while. Enjoying life somewhere different and moving on. I have a large interest in Eastern culture, hence the desire to go to the Far East.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
chachava (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via MSN to chachava
07-30-2007, 01:36 PM

your best bet would be to teach english... it is one of the few jobs foreigners can actually do over here unless your company sends you to Japan

Pretty sure all the major schools would help you find accommodation as well if you asked
(#7 (permalink))
Old
frankuk (Offline)
New to JF

07-30-2007, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chachava View Post
your best bet would be to teach english... it is one of the few jobs foreigners can actually do over here unless your company sends you to Japan

Pretty sure all the major schools would help you find accommodation as well if you asked
i assume I need a qualification to teach English? Would a TEFL certificate be enough?
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
07-30-2007, 01:55 PM

I think the first thing you need to do is to see which visas you would be eligible for.

In the case of the UK, if you fall within the proper age range, you should be able to get a working holiday visa. It`s not difficult at all to find employment while on the working holiday visa. I have no doubt that if you fit the requirements for a regular working visa you could shift over to that when the working holiday ends. By then you would have had plenty of time to find a secure position somewhere.

As far as specific qualifications for employment - as I assume you do not speak Japanese, your only real bet would be English teaching... And there aren`t really any requirements other than speaking English.

If all else fails, I`m sure you could wing a year with both of you working part time on a working holiday visa.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
chachava (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via MSN to chachava
07-30-2007, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankuk View Post
i assume I need a qualification to teach English? Would a TEFL certificate be enough?
Not sure, I got a few mates who work at E-L Schools so I will ask them about it when we go drinking tomorrow
(#10 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
07-30-2007, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankuk View Post
No, you wouldn`t need any sort of qualification to teach English.

Other than what you would need for a visa itself. You will need a 4 year degree (if you`re going the work visa route). It doesn`t have to have anything to do with teaching English.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.