JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#41 (permalink))
Old
aychseven (Offline)
New to JF

08-30-2007, 06:59 PM

didn't see if anyone mentioned this yet, but i've got another idea for you; earn your degree in japan. there are a few colleges that teach classes in english so you could earn your degree there while getting immersed in the culture and meeting people.
(#42 (permalink))
Old
johnnyboydave (Offline)
New to JF

Re: - 08-30-2007, 08:37 PM

I'd love to do that. However, the biggest opportunity for a foreignor to take as far as work goes is teaching. From what people have been posting, you need to have a 4 year degree. If I could go to Japan and learn Japanese from imersion entirely, I would definetly love to do it. If you have any information on how I can land a job in Japan without having first gotten some college, I'd greatly appreciate it. I'd rather go to Japan and learn the language and culture then go in a few years after college stateside.

Thanks.
(#43 (permalink))
Old
Hatredcopter (Offline)
In the middle of nowhere!

08-30-2007, 10:13 PM

I studied abroad in Japan for a year while in college. It was total immersion for me. I also got an internship there (at a law firm), which you can do on a student visa. It's expensive, but most of the bigger universities offer these types of study abroad programs to Japan. I highly, HIGHLY recommend it if you can do it.
(#44 (permalink))
Old
adama (Offline)
JF Regular

08-31-2007, 01:14 PM

"...the biggest opportunity for a foreignor to take as far as work goes is teaching."

Because most foreigners that come here have no marketable skillsets and don't speak any Japanese. You're from the U.S. -- how easy would it be to come to the U.S. from abroad, get a job that sponsors your visa, hooks you up with housing and insurance, and gives you a job that you can do in your native language involving no English whatsoever? Good luck finding that job ... yet that's just what English-teaching positions in Japan offer foreigners.

"If I could go to Japan and learn Japanese from imersion entirely, I would definetly love to do it. If you have any information on how I can land a job in Japan without having first gotten some college, I'd greatly appreciate it. I'd rather go to Japan and learn the language and culture then go in a few years after college stateside."

This paragraph boggles my mind. You want to come to Japan without having attended any college, learn Japanese through immersion, return to the U.S. to attend college, then return to Japan, somehow manage to get PR and then work in a Japanese company?! If I may:

Option 1: Attend college in the U.S., get your 4-year degree, minor in Japanese, do a homestay or two. Once you have your degree, get to Japan via the teaching English route and start exploring exit strategies.

Option 2: Amass wads of cash to attend college in Japan doing the dorm thing, and with your student visa work up to 28 hrs/wk and master Japanese until graduation (at which time you strike out on your own, with the requisite boat ride to Korea to change out your visa).

"By the time I can apply for permanent residency, I will be fluent in Japanese."

Good luck with that. Hope you're studying now.

"Hence my question asking what the chances are for someone who has come to Japan as a foreignor but obtained permanent residency, getting a job by applying to a Japanese company from within Japan."

Really not trying to be petty, but it's foreignER. And your chances of getting a job will vary depending on what you can bring to the table, skill-wise. That being said, if my dumb ass can get a job in a Japanese company, so can you. Of course, said ass has also taken the time to learn Japanese and a couple other things that might be of use somewhere out there on the marketplace.

p/s - You do know you can work on a spousal visa, right? And you know that being married to a Japanese spouse will go a LONG way to you getting your PR, right? So why the morbid fixation on PR instead of interim spouse visa? Just curious.
(#45 (permalink))
Old
HUNGRYlobster (Offline)
New to JF

08-31-2007, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyboydave View Post
Hello. My name is John. I have been entertaining the thought of moving and living in Japan since I was young. I have studied much about Japanese culture and customs through the years. I live in the United States and speak no Japanese. I don't plan to move to Japan in the near future, as I know I don't meet any of the requirements even closely enough to make it.

I'm 19 years old, almost 20. I've quit school and gotten my GED. As of yet, I have no college education. I plan on getting into IT engineering. I also plan on learning Japanese through the internet and by taking classes. I'm seeking advice on the best way to go about moving to Japan and starting a new life there.

I've been reading on what is required and from what I've gathered, you need to know at least 3'rd grade Japanese, have a bachelors degree in the area of profession (10 years), and lots of luck. I know their has got to be lots I'm missing. I've read through the "Steps to moving to Japan" thread and am taking notes. Any advice is appreciated.
theres a company called ROSETTA STONE, its great for learning language, especially japanese,supposed tobe one of the best in the world
(#46 (permalink))
Old
johnnyboydave (Offline)
New to JF

Re: - 09-01-2007, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adama View Post
"...the biggest opportunity for a foreignor to take as far as work goes is teaching."

Because most foreigners that come here have no marketable skillsets and don't speak any Japanese. You're from the U.S. -- how easy would it be to come to the U.S. from abroad, get a job that sponsors your visa, hooks you up with housing and insurance, and gives you a job that you can do in your native language involving no English whatsoever? Good luck finding that job ... yet that's just what English-teaching positions in Japan offer foreigners.

"If I could go to Japan and learn Japanese from imersion entirely, I would definetly love to do it. If you have any information on how I can land a job in Japan without having first gotten some college, I'd greatly appreciate it. I'd rather go to Japan and learn the language and culture then go in a few years after college stateside."

This paragraph boggles my mind. You want to come to Japan without having attended any college, learn Japanese through immersion, return to the U.S. to attend college, then return to Japan, somehow manage to get PR and then work in a Japanese company?! If I may:

Option 1: Attend college in the U.S., get your 4-year degree, minor in Japanese, do a homestay or two. Once you have your degree, get to Japan via the teaching English route and start exploring exit strategies.

Option 2: Amass wads of cash to attend college in Japan doing the dorm thing, and with your student visa work up to 28 hrs/wk and master Japanese until graduation (at which time you strike out on your own, with the requisite boat ride to Korea to change out your visa).

"By the time I can apply for permanent residency, I will be fluent in Japanese."

Good luck with that. Hope you're studying now.

"Hence my question asking what the chances are for someone who has come to Japan as a foreignor but obtained permanent residency, getting a job by applying to a Japanese company from within Japan."

Really not trying to be petty, but it's foreignER. And your chances of getting a job will vary depending on what you can bring to the table, skill-wise. That being said, if my dumb ass can get a job in a Japanese company, so can you. Of course, said ass has also taken the time to learn Japanese and a couple other things that might be of use somewhere out there on the marketplace.

p/s - You do know you can work on a spousal visa, right? And you know that being married to a Japanese spouse will go a LONG way to you getting your PR, right? So why the morbid fixation on PR instead of interim spouse visa? Just curious.
Wow. Ok. Interim spouse visa - please explain that next. I am single atm, but you knew that.
(#47 (permalink))
Old
johnnyboydave (Offline)
New to JF

Re: - 09-04-2007, 03:19 AM

I've just inherited a very nice home (fully paid off) here in the states and a brand new car (fully paid off) and am now at a screeching halt as far as making plans on moving to Japan. It is still my dream to move to Japan but if I choose not to and remain where I am, I'll have alot more money lying around not going towards living expenses. It is going to be a tough decision and a major one at that. It is a great inheritance that I cannot take lightly.

Wow.

Last edited by johnnyboydave : 09-04-2007 at 03:23 AM. Reason: Expenses has no c
(#48 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

09-04-2007, 03:53 AM

You can rent out the house, sell the car (or put it in storage) and still go, you know.

Congratulations and my condolences.
(#49 (permalink))
Old
johnnyboydave (Offline)
New to JF

Re: - 09-06-2007, 09:04 AM

Thank you^^. I'm really considering doing that. I still feel so strongly on pursuing my dream.