JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
johnnyboydave (Offline)
New to JF

Seeking advice - 08-24-2007, 08:29 AM

Hello. My name is John. I have been entertaining the thought of moving and living in Japan since I was young. I have studied much about Japanese culture and customs through the years. I live in the United States and speak no Japanese. I don't plan to move to Japan in the near future, as I know I don't meet any of the requirements even closely enough to make it.

I'm 19 years old, almost 20. I've quit school and gotten my GED. As of yet, I have no college education. I plan on getting into IT engineering. I also plan on learning Japanese through the internet and by taking classes. I'm seeking advice on the best way to go about moving to Japan and starting a new life there.

I've been reading on what is required and from what I've gathered, you need to know at least 3'rd grade Japanese, have a bachelors degree in the area of profession (10 years), and lots of luck. I know their has got to be lots I'm missing. I've read through the "Steps to moving to Japan" thread and am taking notes. Any advice is appreciated.

Last edited by johnnyboydave : 08-24-2007 at 08:31 AM. Reason: Spelling
(#2 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

08-24-2007, 08:32 AM

For what it is worth, Japanese like foreign employees with a 4-year degree. Without that, you are going to have a hard time finding work there. It really doesn't matter what the degree is in, as long as you have it.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
johnnyboydave (Offline)
New to JF

Re: - 08-24-2007, 08:37 AM

Wow. That was fast. That is good news. I'm really determined to learn Japanese and move to Japan, no matter what it takes. From everywhere I read, the best way to learn Japanese is through complete imersion and that is most interesting to me. However, I would need to have a job in Japan in order to get by while I learn. So, I figure once I have the college education I need to land a job, I should think about making the move to Japan and learning Japanese while I am there. This brings me to my next question though.

Would you recommend trying to find a job in Japan before leaving stateside so it's setup when you arrive or are the chances of landing a job without a 1on1 interview in person next to nothing like I'd imagine?

Or better yet, would it be recommended to get the foundation of Japanese basics down before complete imersion?

Last edited by johnnyboydave : 08-24-2007 at 08:39 AM. Reason: Addition
(#4 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

08-24-2007, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyboydave View Post
Wow. That was fast. That is good news. I'm really determined to learn Japanese and move to Japan, no matter what it takes. From everywhere I read, the best way to learn Japanese is through complete imersion and that is most interesting to me. However, I would need to have a job in Japan in order to get by while I learn. So, I figure once I have the college education I need to land a job, I should think about making the move to Japan and learning Japanese while I am there. This brings me to my next question though.

Would you recommend trying to find a job in Japan before leaving stateside so it's setup when you arrive or are the chances of landing a job without a 1on1 interview in person next to nothing like I'd imagine?

Or better yet, would it be recommended to get the foundation of Japanese basics down before complete imersion?

If you plan on getting a 4-year degree, then go through the JET Program. It's the most solid way to guarantee at least three years of life in Japan. Japanese language proficiancy isn't required, and they pay well.

95% of foreigners in Japan are foreign language teachers. The rest are doing jobs either you REALLY want to do (professional athlete) or REALLY don't want to (professional ... diddler).

On no account can you expect to go there on a tourist visa and find a legitimate job. It just won't happen. You might find an illegit job, but if you overstay your visa you will be banned from the country for 10 or more years. Not the goal.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
HappySebby (Offline)
JF Regular

08-24-2007, 09:16 AM

Im some what in the same boat as you John. I too droped out and got my GED. Im saving up though and by the end of June 2008 i should be in LA where i plan to start and finish collage. Ive currently just started taking Japanese leasons on my spare time and ive started strengthening my relationship with friends in Japan. Luckly i know some people that'll help me out when i move there so i hope i wont have too much trouble. But you came to the right place, ive found out so much information in this forum that'll be helpfull in the future that i cant express my thanks enough to its members. Lets do out best to put their help to good use!!!
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Hatredcopter (Offline)
In the middle of nowhere!

08-24-2007, 10:50 AM

Your first step is to enroll in a university. I would recommend one that has Japanese classes (doesn't have to have a Japanese major, just classes at least). Most larger universities have study abroad programs to Japan, and there's no better way to learn Japanese and experience daily life in Japan than to study abroad. Just like you said; complete immersion is the key. I studied abroad in Japan for one year (my junior year of college), and it was well worth it... one of the best times in my life. Right now I'm going on to my senior year of college back here in the US and am applying for the JET Program, so that I may go back to Japan (for good this time!).

As for working in Japan, teaching English is sort of the ticket into Japan, and once you're there and settled you can look into moving on to a real career after you're done teaching (or you can continue teaching if that's something you enjoy ) Like MMM said, you can't just go to Japan and try to apply for a job. You have to apply before going to Japan so you can get a proper working visa. The JET Programme is good for this, because the hiring and interviewing is done right in the Japanese consulates here in the US (and in other countries). The JET Programme also doesn't really require much aside from a degree and a willingness to live in Japanese society. Japanese language skills do help, but they aren't necessary for the job. In my own opinion though, it is still best to become at least semi-fluent in the language before trying to live here - this is where the studying abroad came in for me, as I learned so much more Japanese by studying in Japan than I did before.

Good luck!
(#7 (permalink))
Old
johnnyboydave (Offline)
New to JF

Re: - 08-25-2007, 01:05 AM

So my best ticket into Japan would be recruitment into the JET Program (to teach English) once I have obtained a 4 year degree and have achieved a semi-fluency in Japanese? If so, that sounds like a nice goal to set for myself. Sorry to sound repetitive with it, I'm just trying to sum it up. I'm taking in as much info as I can and writing it down.

From there, if I get recruited and accepted by the JET program, I take it I sign up for a 3 year visa (at the consulate when I'm recruited), which can be renewed at the end of my 3'rd year?

Last edited by johnnyboydave : 08-25-2007 at 02:29 AM. Reason: Spelling
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Hatredcopter (Offline)
In the middle of nowhere!

08-25-2007, 03:44 AM

That all sounds about right to me. I would like to point out though, the JET Programme isn't your only option. There are other English teaching organizations, as well as individual schools, that you can seek employment with. The JET Programme is just one of the better-known options out there, and most people have a decent experience with them. Also, you can apply with JET before you actually have the degree. You just have to have it by the time you are actually sent to Japan to work. A lot of people (including me) apply for JET while they're still in their senior year of college.

As for the visa, you can only renew it if you get another job. So on your last year of JET (or whatever teaching occupation you are in), you would want to be seeking new employment as soon as possible, that way you don't have to leave Japan. That, however, is a long ways off, both for you AND me .
(#9 (permalink))
Old
johnnyboydave (Offline)
New to JF

Re: - 08-25-2007, 04:42 AM

Thanks a BUNCH for the replies. This information is priceless. It seems like my plan's set, however, I have a few more unanswered questions.

First off, if I plan on taking courses for teaching, how long on average are the classes? 1-2 years? 3-4? And should I have some time under my belt on teaching here in the USA before applying for teaching English in a foreign country? Is their a license you must get with teaching English, a sort of certifcation to teach? Is it the same as what you would earn if you wanted to teach English in public shool here in the USA? (This is a question someone like MMM could probably answer for me: Is their a particular grade range English teaching, Japanese companies are looking for when recruiting an English teacher?

Second, I know it really must help having friends in Japan beforehand (I've read this all over the internet). I know noone in Japan. I'm guessing the best way for me to make friends there would be, once I've gotten to a semi-fluential level of Japanese, to surf online for websites with chat rooms where those living in Japanese practice their English speaking abilities with foreignors, such as English speaking people, who want to practice their Japanese speaking skills. Maybe after a while of speaking to the same person, discuss meeting IRL when the time comes?

As far as getting a degree goes, I plan on getting a Bachelor's Degree in Design (game design). However, I want to find out what the demand for video game designers is in Japan and compare that with the chances of a foreignor with a degree landing a position with one of those companies. I'm not sure as how I would go about finding out this sort of information and was maybe hoping someone here might be able to enlighten me on it.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

08-25-2007, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyboydave View Post
Thanks a BUNCH for the replies. This information is priceless. It seems like my plan's set, however, I have a few more unanswered questions.

First off, if I plan on taking courses for teaching, how long on average are the classes? 1-2 years? 3-4? And should I have some time under my belt on teaching here in the USA before applying for teaching English in a foreign country? Is their a license you must get with teaching English, a sort of certifcation to teach? Is it the same as what you would earn if you wanted to teach English in public shool here in the USA? (This is a question someone like MMM could probably answer for me: Is their a particular grade range English teaching, Japanese companies are looking for when recruiting an English teacher?

Second, I know it really must help having friends in Japan beforehand (I've read this all over the internet). I know noone in Japan. I'm guessing the best way for me to make friends there would be, once I've gotten to a semi-fluential level of Japanese, to surf online for websites with chat rooms where those living in Japanese practice their English speaking abilities with foreignors, such as English speaking people, who want to practice their Japanese speaking skills. Maybe after a while of speaking to the same person, discuss meeting IRL when the time comes?

As far as getting a degree goes, I plan on getting a Bachelor's Degree in Design (game design). However, I want to find out what the demand for video game designers is in Japan and compare that with the chances of a foreignor with a degree landing a position with one of those companies. I'm not sure as how I would go about finding out this sort of information and was maybe hoping someone here might be able to enlighten me on it.

Glad to be of help, John.

1) on the JET program you get a one year visa that can be renewed up to to times (three years total). They do not encourage people looking for other work while you are there, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't at least look. Your contract is exclusive (though I had another part-time job while I was there... the school just didn't know about it.)

2) Don't worry about taking any teaching or education classes (unless that interests you). You would be applying for ALT: Assistant Language Teacher. You would help a Japanese native speaker(s) with her classes. Every situation is different, but I was almost never in the classroom alone with students.

3) I had no friends in Japan where I lived. (I was outside of Osaka, and my closest friends were in Tokyo and Kyushu.) You will make friends with local JETS soon (if you apply to JET), but since I was a Japanese major I preferred to hang out with Japanese people. The neighborhood adopted me immediately.

4) The bad news: The chances of landing a job a game company in Japan are slim and none UNLESS you are fluent (and I mean FLUENT) and have something the Japanese designers don't... (good luck). Visa sponsorship is very difficult, and is almost exclusive to Foreign Language Schools.