View Single Post
(#4 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

08-24-2007, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyboydave View Post
Wow. That was fast. That is good news. I'm really determined to learn Japanese and move to Japan, no matter what it takes. From everywhere I read, the best way to learn Japanese is through complete imersion and that is most interesting to me. However, I would need to have a job in Japan in order to get by while I learn. So, I figure once I have the college education I need to land a job, I should think about making the move to Japan and learning Japanese while I am there. This brings me to my next question though.

Would you recommend trying to find a job in Japan before leaving stateside so it's setup when you arrive or are the chances of landing a job without a 1on1 interview in person next to nothing like I'd imagine?

Or better yet, would it be recommended to get the foundation of Japanese basics down before complete imersion?

If you plan on getting a 4-year degree, then go through the JET Program. It's the most solid way to guarantee at least three years of life in Japan. Japanese language proficiancy isn't required, and they pay well.

95% of foreigners in Japan are foreign language teachers. The rest are doing jobs either you REALLY want to do (professional athlete) or REALLY don't want to (professional ... diddler).

On no account can you expect to go there on a tourist visa and find a legitimate job. It just won't happen. You might find an illegit job, but if you overstay your visa you will be banned from the country for 10 or more years. Not the goal.