Thread: Seeking advice
View Single Post
(#9 (permalink))
Old
johnnyboydave (Offline)
New to JF

Re: - 08-25-2007, 04:42 AM

Thanks a BUNCH for the replies. This information is priceless. It seems like my plan's set, however, I have a few more unanswered questions.

First off, if I plan on taking courses for teaching, how long on average are the classes? 1-2 years? 3-4? And should I have some time under my belt on teaching here in the USA before applying for teaching English in a foreign country? Is their a license you must get with teaching English, a sort of certifcation to teach? Is it the same as what you would earn if you wanted to teach English in public shool here in the USA? (This is a question someone like MMM could probably answer for me: Is their a particular grade range English teaching, Japanese companies are looking for when recruiting an English teacher?

Second, I know it really must help having friends in Japan beforehand (I've read this all over the internet). I know noone in Japan. I'm guessing the best way for me to make friends there would be, once I've gotten to a semi-fluential level of Japanese, to surf online for websites with chat rooms where those living in Japanese practice their English speaking abilities with foreignors, such as English speaking people, who want to practice their Japanese speaking skills. Maybe after a while of speaking to the same person, discuss meeting IRL when the time comes?

As far as getting a degree goes, I plan on getting a Bachelor's Degree in Design (game design). However, I want to find out what the demand for video game designers is in Japan and compare that with the chances of a foreignor with a degree landing a position with one of those companies. I'm not sure as how I would go about finding out this sort of information and was maybe hoping someone here might be able to enlighten me on it.