(#11 (permalink))
Old
johnnyboydave (Offline)
New to JF

08-25-2007, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
Glad to be of help, John.

1) on the JET program you get a one year visa that can be renewed up to to times (three years total). They do not encourage people looking for other work while you are there, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't at least look. Your contract is exclusive (though I had another part-time job while I was there... the school just didn't know about it.)

2) Don't worry about taking any teaching or education classes (unless that interests you). You would be applying for ALT: Assistant Language Teacher. You would help a Japanese native speaker(s) with her classes. Every situation is different, but I was almost never in the classroom alone with students.

3) I had no friends in Japan where I lived. (I was outside of Osaka, and my closest friends were in Tokyo and Kyushu.) You will make friends with local JETS soon (if you apply to JET), but since I was a Japanese major I preferred to hang out with Japanese people. The neighborhood adopted me immediately.

4) The bad news: The chances of landing a job a game company in Japan are slim and none UNLESS you are fluent (and I mean FLUENT) and have something the Japanese designers don't... (good luck). Visa sponsorship is very difficult, and is almost exclusive to Foreign Language Schools.
Oh wow, so you mean I could apply to be a foreign language teacher without having taken courses or getting any sort of certifcation? So I'd simply get in contact with the JET program (or an alternative English teaching company) once I've gotten a 4 year degree in any field and apply? No sort of schooling in teaching English necessary?

#3 is pretty encouraging. That's really good news. You said you're a Japanese major. What do you mean by this? Do you mean you appear to be Japanese or of Japanese descent? I'm sure no doubt it helps but what if you don't? How accepting are the neighborhoods to gaijins eager to adapt to the Japanese lifestyle?

As far as visas go, once you are nearing the end of your 2'nd renewal (3'rd year in Japan), how would you look into obtaining a visa to stay longer? I believe you need to've been in Japan for 5 years before you can apply for permanent residence as a Japanese citizen. Do you need to have a friend in Japan who's a permanent resident have this done somehow for you? I know you need to have at least a 3'rd grade Japanese reading and writing comprehension level when it comes time to prove your Japanese competance for citizenship.

#4 was exactly what I was expecting. This brings me to what I wanted to ask should you have given me that answer. What kind of work is widely available to gaijins in Japan? What kind of degrees are going to help a gaijin in Japan?

Once again, thanks a bunch for the responses.

Last edited by johnnyboydave : 08-25-2007 at 05:25 AM. Reason: Spelling
(#12 (permalink))
Old
Hatredcopter (Offline)
In the middle of nowhere!

08-25-2007, 05:19 AM

A 'major', in educational terms, is your focus during college. Someone who's an economics major takes a lot of classes on economics during college, and earns a degree such as 'Bachelor of Arts in Economics'. (Arts is a very loose term in education - it has nothing to do with painting in this case ).

There are a small number of jobs that are easier for gaijins to get. Most of these involve...

1. Teaching (English, or other languages)
2. Translation (this is where I'm hoping to end up)
3. International relations (can either be on a business or government level)

I know a fellow who worked for Square-Enix by the name of Richard Honeywood. He was the head of the localization department, and he was responsible for translating several of the Final Fantasy games into English. So it's not impossible for someone who loves games to work for a Japanese gaming company. Personally, it's a job I'd quite like to shoot for myself one day, but they are probably small in number -- there are a lot more translating jobs in areas such as business and legal firms.
(#13 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

08-25-2007, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyboydave View Post
Oh wow, so you mean I could apply to be a foreign language teacher without having taken courses or getting any sort of certifcation? #3 is pretty encouraging. That's really good news. You said you're a Japanese major. What do you mean by this? Do you mean you appear to be Japanese or of Japanese descent? I'm sure no doubt it helps but what if you don't? How accepting are the neighborhoods to gaijins eager to adapt to the Japanese lifestyle?

#4 was exactly what I was expecting. This brings me to what I wanted to ask should you have given me that answer. What kind of work is widely available to gaijins in Japan? What kind of degrees are going to help a gajin in Japan?

Once again, thanks a bunch for the responses.
All they care about is that you are a native English speaker and have a 4-year-degree. (Of course, there is an interview process, and they are looking for people that seem flexible enough and interested in Japan enough to live there...)

As a "Japanese major" I took four years of Japanese language study, as well as studied Japanese art, history, culture, and literature. I am in no way a Japanese citizen. It doesn't help to be Japanse, either. It probably hurts.

Of course every place is different, but I could tell you a thousand positive stories (and a dozen negative stories) about the neighborhood. I was in a (relatively) small industrial city between Osaka and Kobe with very few (caucasian) foreigners living there. I wasn't treated like a prince or anything, but I think the neighborhood was happy I was there... gave the place a little more cosmopolitan feel. The only setback was since I stuck out like a sore thumb, everyone knew what I was up to. "Oh, I heard you went and had yaki-niku last night at such and such last night." That's no big deal, though, and it shows that they care.

Legit work available to gaijins is foreign language teacher. Other legit work will be from an American company with an office in Japan, or a Japanese company with foriegn office (of which Nintendo is one). But getting transferred to Japan in a one-in-a-million. The dream of being a game designer is probably best lived-out here (at least right now. In five years, who knows? Five years ago the Japanese and American markets couldn't have been any more different, but the interests are starting to get closer again.)
(#14 (permalink))
Old
johnnyboydave (Offline)
New to JF

08-25-2007, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatredcopter View Post
As for the visa, you can only renew it if you get another job. So on your last year of JET (or whatever teaching occupation you are in), you would want to be seeking new employment as soon as possible, that way you don't have to leave Japan. That, however, is a long ways off, both for you AND me .
Ah, so this would mean my best bet for staying in the country after the 2'nd renewal would be to find an English teaching job with another company? From there, get the renewals required until I've gotten to 5 years and can apply for citizenship?
(#15 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

08-25-2007, 09:23 AM

Yes...but... JET wants you to go home after you are done. That's the "deal" they have with the government. They will pay for your way home, but you may have to pay to get back again.
(#16 (permalink))
Old
johnnyboydave (Offline)
New to JF

Re: - 08-26-2007, 05:38 AM

Would you happen to use an instant messenger of some sort MMM? I use MSN primarily -reason I ask is, I have a few more questions I'd like to ask you in chat if that's not a problem.

I was wondeing, besides teaching, is their any sort of other job opportunities in Japan for a foreignor? What if I want to move to Japan and find a career to stay with for several years other then teaching? From what I've been reading all over the web, teaching is not what people say it's like. Are their any jobs involving a trade a foreignor could get once he or she is fluent in Japanese? Anything at all besides teaching?

Teaching wouldn't be bad for getting a "foot in the door" in the Japanese environment, with a much bigger advantage to learn Japanese from total immersion. However, I don't see myself teaching English for the rest of my life. I'd like to know if their are any other opportunities available to a foreignor who's determined to make it in Japanese society once a foreignor is fluent in both reading and writing Japanese. I'm not expecting to land a top paying executive job but anything other then teaching. Something like a job where I'm more involved with other Japanese, speaking Japanese.

Last edited by johnnyboydave : 08-26-2007 at 06:50 AM.
(#17 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

08-26-2007, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Would you happen to use an instant messenger of some sort MMM? I use MSN primarily -reason I ask is, I have a few more questions I'd like to ask you in chat if that's not a problem.

I was wondeing, besides teaching, is their any sort of other job opportunities in Japan for a foreignor? What if I want to move to Japan and find a career to stay with for several years other then teaching? From what I've been reading all over the web, teaching is not what people say it's like. Are their any jobs involving a trade a foreignor could get once he or she is fluent in Japanese? Anything at all besides teaching?

Teaching wouldn't be bad for getting a "foot in the door" in the Japanese environment, with a much bigger advantage to learn Japanese from total immersion. However, I don't see myself teaching English for the rest of my life. I'd like to know if their are any other opportunities available to a foreignor who's determined to make it in Japanese society once a foreignor is fluent in both reading and writing Japanese. I'm not expecting to land a top paying executive job but anything other then teaching. Something like a job where I'm more involved with other Japanese, speaking Japanese.
I don't really do the IM thing, but feel free to ask here or to PM me.

Besides teaching, legitimate job oppurtunities are limited. Your best bet is going to find an American company with an office in Japan or a Japanese company that had offices outside of Japan.

Your best option is probably to marry a Japanese citizen who doesn't want to move to America. In that case you would have legal residency, and would not be forced to find a visa sponsor in a Japanese company. Visa sponsorship is as big a hassle there as it is in the US, and that's why companies that only REALLY need to have it (like foreign language schools) do it.
(#18 (permalink))
Old
johnnyboydave (Offline)
New to JF

08-26-2007, 07:30 AM

Quote:
I don't really do the IM thing, but feel free to ask here or to PM me.

Besides teaching, legitimate job oppurtunities are limited. Your best bet is going to find an American company with an office in Japan or a Japanese company that had offices outside of Japan.

Your best option is probably to marry a Japanese citizen who doesn't want to move to America. In that case you would have legal residency, and would not be forced to find a visa sponsor in a Japanese company. Visa sponsorship is as big a hassle there as it is in the US, and that's why companies that only REALLY need to have it (like foreign language schools) do it.
From what you've said, I take it that basically, in order to work in Japan as a foreignor, you must have a visa, which is sponsored by the company you're working for, and pretty much only foreign language schools are dedicated to sponsoring these visas? And being married to a Japanese citizen would eliminate having to have a visa sponsored since you'd no longer need a visa to work?

I guess that would mean the best option for getting around visa sponsorship would be to meet a Japanese woman and marry while you're in Japan teaching English. Is this realistic? Personally, I intend to marry a Japanese woman anyway when I move to Japan but how realistic is it expecting this?

What if I keep getting renewals for foreign language schools until I reach year 5 and apply/get permanent residency in Japan? (Assuming I'm very lucky and actually am granted permanent residency). Would I then no longer be considered a foreignor and no longer need a visa period? Would this then open my options for getting a job with any Japanese company within Japan I'd meet the educational requirements for? I know their would still be discrimination issues but I'd imagine it would still be easier to get a job if you didn't need a visa.

Last edited by johnnyboydave : 08-26-2007 at 08:17 AM.
(#19 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

08-26-2007, 08:36 AM

Quote:
From what you've said, I take it that basically, in order to work in Japan as a foreignor, you must have a visa, which is sponsored by the company you're working for, and pretty much only foreign language schools are dedicated to sponsoring these visas? And being married to a Japanese citizen would eliminate having to have a visa sponsored since you'd no longer need a visa to work?

I guess that would mean the best option for getting around visa sponsorship would be to meet a Japanese woman and marry while you're in Japan teaching English. Is this realistic? Personally, I intend to marry a Japanese woman anyway when I move to Japan but how realistic is it expecting this?

What if I keep getting renewals for foreign language schools until I reach year 5 and apply/get permanent residency in Japan? (Assuming I'm very lucky and actually am granted permanent residency). Would I then no longer be considered a foreignor and no longer need a visa period? Would this then open my options for getting a job with any Japanese company within Japan I'd meet the educational requirements for? I know their would still be discrimination issues but I'd imagine it would still be easier to get a job if you didn't need a visa.

You are getting into territory I am not so familiar with. I was not aware that 5 years gets you permanent residency. If that is possible, then, yes, not having to sponsor your visa would open up the job market to you 1000%. If you plan on living in Japan, then finding a wife in Japan is far from impossible. Especially in this day and age, we are seeing more and more international marriages, and without sounding snarky, if their daughter is going to marry a foreigner, many dads would prefer one from America or Europe. That is a sweeping generalizatation, but my father-in-law proudly takes me golfing with his business buddies when I am there, and I doubt that would happen if I was from Pakistan or SE Asia.
(#20 (permalink))
Old
johnnyboydave (Offline)
New to JF

08-26-2007, 08:53 AM

Quote:
You are getting into territory I am not so familiar with. I was not aware that 5 years gets you permanent residency. If that is possible, then, yes, not having to sponsor your visa would open up the job market to you 1000%. If you plan on living in Japan, then finding a wife in Japan is far from impossible. Especially in this day and age, we are seeing more and more international marriages, and without sounding snarky, if their daughter is going to marry a foreigner, many dads would prefer one from America or Europe. That is a sweeping generalizatation, but my father-in-law proudly takes me golfing with his business buddies when I am there, and I doubt that would happen if I was from Pakistan or SE Asia.
You've just about answered all my questions. Thanks a bunch. What I've decided to do, before I look into getting a 4 year degree, is find out what jobs are in demand in Japan for permanent residents so that when I choose a degree, it is going to actually benefit me. Game design is still looking good, although I'm still pretty young and having a hard time deciding on whether I want to take a risk and get a degree in game design when I may or may not be able to land a job in that field once I've made the move to Japan. My priorities now look like this:

1. Become semi-fluent in Japanese
2. Decide on what field to earn a 4 year degree
3. Find out more information on English teaching companies in Japan

Last edited by johnnyboydave : 08-26-2007 at 08:54 AM. Reason: Spelling