JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#51 (permalink))
Old
Skuu (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via MSN to Skuu
interpreting first steps - 07-12-2009, 08:06 PM

Hey all. I wanted to revive this thread as I'm really interested in becoming an interpreter.

I'm going to Japan for a year in August so I hope to get a good grip on the language. But when I get back what should I do? Is there usually a interpreter training college or do I have to do a specific course/degree? I understand if you think it might be country-specific. I'm in England.

This is something that I've gotta lot of time to think about and prepare for, but I'd like to get a basic understanding of the steps needed so I can better get there.

Of course I want to do English and Japanese.

Thanks in advance!
(#52 (permalink))
Old
l00pdel00p (Offline)
New to JF

07-16-2009, 11:25 AM

There is something i want to ask if you dont mind.
Do you think It will be benificial in getting more translation work if i translated english,japanese,korean and mandarin? i dont mind any of the combinations but i was wondering if there might be companys who would prefer to hire one person to cover those instead of 2 or 3 people? I studied japanese at college and have been studying all 3 in my own time for a number of years now. I also have plans to study japanese and korean at university for some of which i will be living in one of those countries. So i was wondering wether this will open up more oppertunities for me in the future or if i should aim towards something else. translation isnt what i want to do full time from my own experiances it hasnt given me the chance to make much money compared to some jobs i could do. but it would be really useful to know as a second option or perhaps part time. I would really appreciate any help ^^
(#53 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

07-16-2009, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skuu View Post
Hey all. I wanted to revive this thread as I'm really interested in becoming an interpreter.

I'm going to Japan for a year in August so I hope to get a good grip on the language. But when I get back what should I do? Is there usually a interpreter training college or do I have to do a specific course/degree? I understand if you think it might be country-specific. I'm in England.

This is something that I've gotta lot of time to think about and prepare for, but I'd like to get a basic understanding of the steps needed so I can better get there.

Of course I want to do English and Japanese.

Thanks in advance!
I don't know of an interpreter degree, but I recommend studying Japanese and English. Just because you are a native speaker of English doesn't mean that English study is not needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by l00pdel00p View Post
There is something i want to ask if you dont mind.
Do you think It will be benificial in getting more translation work if i translated english,japanese,korean and mandarin? i dont mind any of the combinations but i was wondering if there might be companys who would prefer to hire one person to cover those instead of 2 or 3 people? I studied japanese at college and have been studying all 3 in my own time for a number of years now. I also have plans to study japanese and korean at university for some of which i will be living in one of those countries. So i was wondering wether this will open up more oppertunities for me in the future or if i should aim towards something else. translation isnt what i want to do full time from my own experiances it hasnt given me the chance to make much money compared to some jobs i could do. but it would be really useful to know as a second option or perhaps part time. I would really appreciate any help ^^
Translation requires a level of fluency, and generally you will be asked to translate into your native language.
(#54 (permalink))
Old
komitsuki (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

07-16-2009, 03:11 PM

I'm a theoretical linguistics major and not every linguistics major are capable of doing translations as a career. This is a mild misconception that some people have.

JapanForum's semi-resident amateur linguist.
(#55 (permalink))
Old
Skuu (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via MSN to Skuu
07-16-2009, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
Just because you are a native speaker of English doesn't mean that English study is not needed.
Ah yes thanks for reminding me. My old teacher told me this and I did start studying English grammar. What kind of level is needed might you guess? High school level? Is there a special qualification relevant to translation/interpretation?

Helpful as always, MMM.
(#56 (permalink))
Old
Yuusuke (Offline)
Banned!

07-16-2009, 03:26 PM

MMM do you speak japanese natively or fluently?

and what inspired you to be a translator?

What are the nessicasary task of becoming one?

(#57 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

07-16-2009, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skuu View Post
Ah yes thanks for reminding me. My old teacher told me this and I did start studying English grammar. What kind of level is needed might you guess? High school level? Is there a special qualification relevant to translation/interpretation?

Helpful as always, MMM.
I didn't go to college to specifically become a translator...the most specific qualification I can think of is passing the JLPT level 1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuusuke View Post
MMM do you speak japanese natively or fluently?

and what inspired you to be a translator?

What are the nessicasary task of becoming one?
Natively? No. Fluently? I feel I can pull it off well enough.

Economics inspired me to be a translator, and being told "You should be a translator" enough times.

The "easiest" way to be considered qualified is to pass the JLPT 1. Other than that it is just practice.
(#58 (permalink))
Old
Yuusuke (Offline)
Banned!

07-16-2009, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
I didn't go to college to specifically become a translator...the most specific qualification I can think of is passing the JLPT level 1.

Natively? No. Fluently? I feel I can pull it off well enough.

Economics inspired me to be a translator, and being told "You should be a translator" enough times.

The "easiest" way to be considered qualified is to pass the JLPT 1. Other than that it is just practice.
Which JLPT is the hardest 1 or 4?
i don't remember

(#59 (permalink))
Old
Marichan (Offline)
New to JF

07-16-2009, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuusuke View Post
Which JLPT is the hardest 1 or 4?
i don't remember
1 is the most difficult, 4 is the easiest.