JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
daytona368 (Offline)
New to JF

Import tax and duty ? - 10-12-2007, 04:31 AM

I am moving to Tokyo for work shortly and would like to ask if there is any import tax and duty for my goods (clothes, AV equipment, furniture etc) ship to Japan.

Your kind help is appreciated.

daytona
(#2 (permalink))
Old
chachava (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via MSN to chachava
10-12-2007, 03:49 PM

hmmm, I didn't get charged anything when I shipped things out here (my turntables and records) but maybe I got lucky? Hadn't even thought about it to be honest

Sorry that isn't much help
(#3 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

10-13-2007, 12:11 AM

You are going to ship furniture to Japan? It would be cheaper to buy it there, I am betting. I know a lot of my American furniture never would have made it through my Japanese front door.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
jasonbvr (Offline)
TrixR4Kidz

10-19-2007, 04:39 AM

Furniture? Your company is paying for this, aren't they? Anyways, tax. Never heard of anyone being taxed for bringing their own junk into Japan. If you are shipping a car, that would be a different story. If you are bringing a pet, that is also a different (and complicated) story. Other than those two things, alcohol is about the only other thing I can see them taxing. Japan's government loves their alcohol revenues.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
TokyoFerrari (Offline)
The white guy in Tokyo

10-25-2007, 05:35 PM

If you are bringing Name brand items like gucci or something, you will get hit with taxes if they are brand new. I learned my lesson with my cigars and clothing. I brought unopened boxes of cigars and got hit hard. almost 30%. I bought a pair of Gucci shoes in hawaii and brought them back in the box. Got hit on it. Now here is the work around.

When I bring cigars in, they will stillbe taxed. But if you open the box and smoke one, or hide one, this it shows you have no intent to sell and it is for personal use. this is a 13% taxation I belive. When I buy my shoes and bring them back, I take the shoes out and rub the soles on the ground. This now makes them used. You can not be taxed on this even if it is in the box.

My 2 yen