JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
SuperMario128 (Offline)
JF Regular

American schools that offer Japanese Foreign exchange programs - 10-13-2007, 05:49 AM

Does anyone know where I can find a list of American colleges that offer exchange programs to japan?

I'm 16 and want to live in Japan. I'm planning a career in game design, and am thinking the best thing for me to do to get a job after college is to find a college that offers foreign exchange. Because I currently know very little japanese right now, and the most likely way for me to learn is in college, but want to go to Japan and see if it really is right for me.

Or any colleges that offer english courses. I saw someone on this forum talking about Temple? what is that?
(#2 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

10-13-2007, 06:48 AM

Temple is a school in Tokyo (I beleive).

The University of Oregon does an exchange with Waseda University. They also have an excellent Japanese program.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
masaegu (Offline)
永遠の愛

10-14-2007, 04:12 AM

Temple University is a large private university in Philadelphia and it has a Japan campus in Tokyo.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
SuperMario128 (Offline)
JF Regular

10-14-2007, 05:48 AM

So do you think it would be wise to apply to Temple and take courses there until I know enough japanese to move on to a japanese school? Or would foreign exchange be better for that?

I'm just trying to find out what it takes to get in to a life in japan as a white/american/game designer...

Also, are there any musicians on the forum that live in japan. preferrably guitarists? does anyone know what the market for guitar in japan is like? do they have all the big american names over there or do they have there own?
(#5 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

10-14-2007, 05:58 AM

As someone who has done both, I would recommend studying even for jsut a year before you go. What you can learn in the first year or two will save hours, weeks, and months of heartache and frustration. If you were going for a week or two, I would just say "GO!" but if you are planning a long-term visit, by all means, start learning Japanese basics today. You will thank yourself.

Many foreign musicians find work in Japan (if they have talent) and it can make for a nice side business and fun hobby. I played with a couple bands in Japan (I was the only gaijin, and i played drums or percussion) and I didn't do it for the money (as there wasn't much) but for the chance to perform and meet people.

All the big names in America and Europe are well known in Japan...
(#6 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

10-14-2007, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masaegu View Post
Temple University is a large private university in Philadelphia and it has a Japan campus in Tokyo.
Thanks for the clarification, Masaegu.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
SuperMario128 (Offline)
JF Regular

10-14-2007, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
As someone who has done both, I would recommend studying even for jsut a year before you go. What you can learn in the first year or two will save hours, weeks, and months of heartache and frustration. If you were going for a week or two, I would just say "GO!" but if you are planning a long-term visit, by all means, start learning Japanese basics today. You will thank yourself.

Many foreign musicians find work in Japan (if they have talent) and it can make for a nice side business and fun hobby. I played with a couple bands in Japan (I was the only gaijin, and i played drums or percussion) and I didn't do it for the money (as there wasn't much) but for the chance to perform and meet people.

All the big names in America and Europe are well known in Japan...
Okay, thanks, but I was actually referring more to instrument brand name. Because the only japanese guitarists I've seen use Ibanez guitars...I was just wondering if they had like, Dean or Gibson and such.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

10-14-2007, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario128 View Post
Okay, thanks, but I was actually referring more to instrument brand name. Because the only japanese guitarists I've seen use Ibanez guitars...I was just wondering if they had like, Dean or Gibson and such.
Oh yeah. you can find any major brand of guitar there at the music shops.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
SuperMario128 (Offline)
JF Regular

10-14-2007, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
Oh yeah. you can find any major brand of guitar there at the music shops.
Okay, thanks alot man! you've helped alot.