JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#21 (permalink))
Old
vulgarshudder (Offline)
JF Old Timer

11-17-2007, 09:43 AM

I work at public elementary schools so sounds like my meals are alot more basic. And the food is prepared on the premises, and despite the fried things it is quite healthy compared to what has come to english school dinners (turkey twizzlers anyone).

But this week I had deep fried whale for lunch, it was a nostalgic school dinner thing. i have to say it was quite tasty! Then I ate it again the next day at a different school because they are in the next block for the city.

Oh and curry rice days are to die for days, at the start of the day you got a caramalised apple smell, then mid morning they add the spices, and it's a delicious delicious sweet curry with french style salad.

おれんとこ来ないか?
(#22 (permalink))
Old
noodle (Offline)
Wo zhi dao ni ai wo

11-17-2007, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vulgarshudder View Post
I and despite the fried things it is quite healthy compared to what has come to english school dinners (turkey twizzlers anyone).
????? What school did you go to? the schools i went to in england had a choice between these fatty fried food and lots of other HEALTHY food!!!
(#23 (permalink))
Old
noodle (Offline)
Wo zhi dao ni ai wo

11-17-2007, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonbvr View Post
take a quick look at the crime statistics of Japan compared to the US, the UK, most of Europe, Australia, New Zealand, Canada, etcetera. If you don't know what you're talking about, why don't you ask questions rather than making completely unfounded statements?
Aparently, recent statistics show that murder rates are higher in japan than in the UK....
(#24 (permalink))
Old
zenit (Offline)
i'm evil kyuubi

11-17-2007, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanobyte View Post
Yeah yeah, that's all pretty, but you forgot Yakuza and Godzilla mafia in Japan, i was thinking to join exchange program to study in Japan but i think i won't now, i don't wanna be kidnaped or killed by Mafia!
O_O .... say what!!! Why would u be kidnaped by the mafia??? Why would they want to kidnap a 15yo school student?? O_O do u think they kidnap people to have a nice time the same way u go to an arcade??!!
There is crime everywere, look for statistics for ur country and u'll see!!
And i must admit that comment of yours is as bad if not worst than all those "i'm afraid to go to japan because i'm black/mexican/kermit the frog... or what ever.
(#25 (permalink))
Old
vulgarshudder (Offline)
JF Old Timer

11-18-2007, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodle View Post
????? What school did you go to? the schools i went to in england had a choice between these fatty fried food and lots of other HEALTHY food!!!
Well the last english school dinner I ate was 15 years ago, but google Jamie Oliver School Dinners.

English school dinners have contracted off long ago and since the lowest bidder gets the contract, they use cheap pre manufactured frozen foods now to keep costs low.

おれんとこ来ないか?
(#26 (permalink))
Old
jasonbvr (Offline)
TrixR4Kidz

11-19-2007, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodle View Post
Aparently, recent statistics show that murder rates are higher in japan than in the UK....
Really? It must be from the gaijin moving to Japan. Immigration really needs to crack down on the foreigners. I think if we implement the language test requirement for visas, we could really cut down on the number of gaijin.

Thanks, I'll edit my previous post.
(#27 (permalink))
Old
jasonbvr (Offline)
TrixR4Kidz

11-19-2007, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vulgarshudder View Post
I work at public elementary schools so sounds like my meals are alot more basic. And the food is prepared on the premises, and despite the fried things it is quite healthy compared to what has come to english school dinners (turkey twizzlers anyone).

But this week I had deep fried whale for lunch, it was a nostalgic school dinner thing. i have to say it was quite tasty! Then I ate it again the next day at a different school because they are in the next block for the city.

Oh and curry rice days are to die for days, at the start of the day you got a caramalised apple smell, then mid morning they add the spices, and it's a delicious delicious sweet curry with french style salad.
I'm at a public as well. Many schools like yours do have kitchens and from what I've heard the food is ten times better when they do.
(#28 (permalink))
Old
jasonbvr (Offline)
TrixR4Kidz

Is that eyeliner? だめだよ!! - 11-20-2007, 01:43 AM

I should probably be studying, but I'll save it for later. Let's talk hair and make up. In Japan that isn't really an exclusive topic for women. (Sorry Japanese pretty boys, couldn't resist.)

Anyways, in the junior highs we have lots of fun rules governing the way you dress and other things about your appearance. Starting with hair, students are not really allowed to use a lot of products like gel, waxes and hairspray. You can tell some of the guys do anyways, but it is not that much. As for the girls, they have to have their hair in a ponytail or some variation of the ponytail if it is beyond a certain length. For both boys and girls, the hair must remain out of your eyes. As for makeup, this is strictly forbidden. No colognes or perfumes are allowed either. Sometimes I will spot girls wearing a little bit of eyeliner or something resembling lip gloss, but it is not that much.

These rules seem to have one very big effect on Japanese students. When they get out of junior high, not all but a lot of them go nuts on the makeup and hair products. High school guys have some of the stickiest and waxed out hair I have ever seen. And the girls, well they just don't know how much makeup to wear and so they just cake it on. As far as cologne and perfume, please, one little spritz will do fine. You do not need to bathe in that junk.

Last edited by jasonbvr : 11-20-2007 at 12:56 PM.
(#29 (permalink))
Old
botynation (Offline)
JF Expert

Send a message via AIM to botynation Send a message via Yahoo to botynation
12-03-2007, 04:42 PM

your good. you got anything else for us readers?

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.
(#30 (permalink))
Old
Nanajuu (Offline)
Now with 20% more fiber!

12-04-2007, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonbvr View Post
ps~We have plenty of bacon in Japan. What I am lacking in the American breakfast department (this is only known to the southeast of the US) is grits. That rice cereal stuff comes close, but it can never replace grits with red-eye gravy.
I hear you - I grew up somewhere in the wilderness of southern Louisiana. Though, we were poor, so our breakfast was more like grit, not grits. It's a wonder I'm overweight.

Anyways - Japanese Teachers wear dress shoes to work, while students wear slippers? Hah - I have to see that.

About school rules such as the makeup or hair gel... How do they enforce these rules? I recall from a previous post of yours that they weren't very strict anymore with the discipline... Is it normal to see a teacher chastising a student about makeup or not wearing a sweater? Or do they let the principal - Or Japanese equivalent - handle this?

Learning Japanese one flash card at a time!

Mother: Yuri
Siblings: animedude3, QuoyaNatsume