JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
RomalianType (Offline)
New to JF

Love in Japan: How Should I Approach This? - 11-18-2007, 08:27 PM

I am madly in love with a woman whom I've known for a good while. We share intimate stories about our pasts, we take long walks at night, and she has told me that it must be "destiny" for us to have met. Now I don't know if these are clues that she likes me back, but frankly I don't care. I must tell her how I feel.

For something this important, I want to speak to her in Japanese, and I want my words to reflect the appropriate, accepted behaviors in Japanese culture that govern "asking people out". In other words, I don't want to use words I would use on say, an American girl. I want to ask her out in the same way a well mannered Japanese guy would ask a girl out.

So for those who live in Japan and have observed appropriate "love confessing" behavior, or have been with a Japanese girl, what pointers do you have regarding me telling her how I feel?
(#2 (permalink))
Old
RomalianType (Offline)
New to JF

11-18-2007, 09:32 PM

Thrad bump hooo

Any help would be appreciated haha
(#3 (permalink))
Old
noodle (Offline)
Wo zhi dao ni ai wo

11-18-2007, 09:36 PM

there aren't many people on this forum that actually live in japan...... give it about 48 hours for a good reply, otherwise, other replies will be what people think......
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
11-19-2007, 12:20 AM

If you`ve been speaking to her in English up until now, telling her your feelings in Japanese could end up pretty awkward. 9 times out of 10, the fact that you`re NOT Japanese is a big issue in a relationship.

In other words, if she likes you for who you are, and that "who" is non-Japanese - It is better to be yourself when you tell her your feelings.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
spawn142001 (Offline)
New to JF

11-19-2007, 12:36 AM

Very well put Nyororin i agree strongly. Congrats on finding love in japan, i hope what ever happens between you two takes a turn for the best.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
StriderX (Offline)
New to JF

11-19-2007, 01:47 AM

I have to agree with Nyororin, even though I'm single and have yet to set foot in Japan, inexperienced in the field of love or at least haven't really known a relationship as deep as you described with yourself and this woman. Being yourself is always important, thought maybe you could say you love her in Japanese at one point could be romantic!

Good luck to you both!
(#7 (permalink))
Old
aldine (Offline)
JF Regular

11-19-2007, 10:34 PM

Go bite the bullet and tell her how you feel in English. You also have the option to use non verbal communication, if you catch my drift. That will greatly help get your message across. Good luck!