JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#61 (permalink))
Old
maritssa (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via MSN to maritssa
09-17-2008, 06:17 PM

hi, i'ma 15years high schoolr girl ad I want to meet girls and bys from Japon cause I like meet people and make lot of new friens
(#62 (permalink))
Old
KayySilence (Offline)
New to JF

09-19-2008, 09:37 AM

Hey people, I moved to Tokyo from the UK about a while ago. I'm at a senior high school (I am 18 years old) and I am here until at least June, and possibly going on to an international university in Tokyo afterwards.

To everyone who asks, you wannabe asians etc, i'm sorry to disappoint you but the grass is always greener on the other side! I do like it here but remember that Tokyo is still just a big dirty city. Like anywhere else in the world there are d*ckheads, criminals, tramps and pollution. etc etc, so be realistic before you come. Although many young people are interested in learning English, they are almost certainly going to be less enthusiastic about Japanese stuff than you are! (though i am generalising here). In my school holidays from here I am a tour guide back in scotland and I have to deal with many Americans coming to Scotland expecting everyone to walk around looking like Groundskeeper Willy from the Simpsons, in clans pitched in battle against each other and wielding broadswords with half blue faces and astounded to find out we actually had internet etc. I am really not exaggerating. The number of times i was asked things like when did Scotland get telephones (err, Alexander Graham Bell came from Scotland). I am not saying this to bitch about americans, I am saying that the extent to which people can have misconceptions about foreign countries can be astonishing, when everything is seen through the filter of TV or internet etc. I myself had plenty of false expectations about Japan.

But be realistic and you won't be disappointed, Tokyo is a great city in many respects, and there are more people here than in any other city in the world so there has to be some good stuff/people! (dubious claim by mexico city excepted).

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangafreak View Post
hi, this is mangafreak. i was just curious, how much approximately does it cost per year to live in tokyo? Because i really want to move there and get out of Canada!
I don't know Canadian prices too well, but food in particular is much cheaper here in Jap than back home in Britain. In fact, just about everything is cheaper. There are many expensive things too, if you like that, but if you walk off the main roads or leave the tourist areas, the prices here are much better than Western Europe for sure. VAT here is only 5%, not the 17.5% i am used to. In roppongi, by the tourist filled "mori tower" expect to pay around 1000yen for a crepe or an ice cream (around $10 USD i think!) but go into a supermarket in the suburbs and an ice cream is more like 100yen.

I'm here for one year on a scholarship basis, with free board and lodging (I am only paying for extras, some travel costs, and my lunch. Dinner breakfast and accommodation are included) I took £2000 GBP about $1050 USD i think) for the year.

Food can be had very cheaply, and accomm, if you are willing to live somewhere tiny and a little far from the exciting areas (in the endlessssss suburbs) can also be very affordable. If you want accomms in the CBD or any of the popular areas, the property (that's "Real Estate" for those across the pond) in tokyo is some of the most expensive in the world whether for rental or to buy outright. Mortgages here can be incredibly generous, but possibly not for us foreigners, but I don't know from personal experience.

BTW Canada is a cool place, much of my family emigrated there in the late 19th/ early 20th century and we are still in contact with them now, but I can understand wanting to leave. I was desperate to leave my home etc, and it feels great to be away. As for moving there, there are now quite a few westerners living in Japan (esp tokyo) but do take it into account that you will never be accepted in the way that non-caucasians are in north america or the UK/brazil/Hong kong etc etc for the simple reason that you are not japanese, and you will almost never be treated by Japanese as one of them, even if you speak the language well.

Hope you come here and have a great time though, everyone.
(#63 (permalink))
Old
takatacos (Offline)
New to JF

09-20-2008, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maritssa View Post
hi, i'ma 15years high schoolr girl ad I want to meet girls and bys from Japon cause I like meet people and make lot of new friens
nice to meet u marisa
(#64 (permalink))
Old
butterflymiko18 (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via AIM to butterflymiko18 Send a message via MSN to butterflymiko18 Send a message via Yahoo to butterflymiko18 Send a message via Skype™ to butterflymiko18
Smile Yay, japan! - 09-20-2008, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by takatacos View Post
i am a 17 year old high school student.
I live in Tokyo, and i speak English fluently. Anybody who are having issues in Japan, interested in japan, i am happy to help and answer questions.
I have lived in London, Malaysia, Chicago. I had a lot of help over there so i am willing to the same here in japan against foreigners.
Thanks for offering some help! ^_^ You're so lucky. I can't live in Japan for at least another two years (I'm planning on doing a study abroad program in college) nice to meet you ! i hope we can become friends.
(#65 (permalink))
Old
bakasaru (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via MSN to bakasaru
09-20-2008, 04:47 PM

Wow! You live in japan? That's just sooo cool! I hope we can become friends. I'm 15-year-old girl and I know some japanese.

I scream, you scream, we all scream for Ice-cream!
(#66 (permalink))
Old
keken (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via MSN to keken Send a message via Yahoo to keken
09-26-2008, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by takatacos View Post
i am a 17 year old high school student.
I live in Tokyo, and i speak English fluently. Anybody who are having issues in Japan, interested in japan, i am happy to help and answer questions.
I have lived in London, Malaysia, Chicago. I had a lot of help over there so i am willing to the same here in japan against foreigners.
takatacos konnichiwa..atashi nihon no koto suki desu^^ im beginner but anta no tomodachi ni naritai desu..nihongo wo motto benkyoushitain desu. yoroshiku ne.
(#67 (permalink))
Old
xxJustMexx (Offline)
...Me?...

10-04-2008, 08:45 AM

Whao! You live in Japan thats awsome. I hope you would like to be my friend

Hello I'm:
Not Anti-social
I just hate you
(#68 (permalink))
Old
Marek (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via MSN to Marek
10-06-2008, 07:12 AM

hi takatacos

you know that you are going to get lots of comments if you live in japan and join a japanforum ;p , ne

I added you to messenger, i hope its ok..

Panchu Kuma will kick your ass
(#69 (permalink))
Old
MonkeyChan (Offline)
New to JF

10-10-2008, 05:16 PM

hi i'm olivia! i'm fifteen and i'm from the U.S. i would really like to be friends with you!

Who's in the forest stro---lling?
The birds and the bees sing, "Momiji".
The frogs in the pond are ca---lling,
"Momiji, yes, it's true."
The trees raise their leaves to--ge--ther,
"Who needs the sun when we've got you?"
Who's in the forest stro---lling?
The birds and the bees sing, "Momiji".
The frogs in the pond are ca---lling,
"Momiji, yes, it's true."
(#70 (permalink))
Old
mrfranky17 (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via AIM to mrfranky17 Send a message via Yahoo to mrfranky17
10-10-2008, 06:08 PM

Name is frank and you can be a big help to me. i want to teach english in japan, but i dont know my ways around. so maybe you can be my tour guide. if you want. pm me. thank you

Franky Boy