JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Blitzwing85 (Offline)
マーク - 戦士

Just Joined - 03-24-2010, 03:03 PM

Hi all.

Just joined today and had a good browse around the site. Seems cool.
I've always loved everything about Japan...the people, the fashions, the culture, the history, the language and the scenery there.

Despite this, i've never been sadly and neither do i know any Japanese people.
I'm about to start learning the language and would like to talk to people from Japan, and of course others who are interested as i am.

It is my ultimate dream to emigrate there...but i'm not sure how feasible this is. Right now though, i just want to visit the place and maybe stay with a family out there and see a good mix of cultures new and old.

Anyway, feel free to reply or send a PM.
Look forward to hearing from some people and participating in the forums etc.

Mark
(#2 (permalink))
Old
packetpirate (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via AIM to packetpirate Send a message via MSN to packetpirate Send a message via Skype™ to packetpirate
03-25-2010, 07:39 PM

こんにちは、マーコさん。。。

いかがですか?
日本語が少し分かりますか?

If you need resources, or just want to practice your kana/kanji and other speaking skills, contact me.

AIM: Vegeta6780

I can provide you with the Genki book series or Pimsleur if you want one of them.

俺はサゲだ!
これが読みません。
(#3 (permalink))
Old
leovvv (Offline)
New to JF

03-25-2010, 08:50 PM

I'm also interested in Japanese culture too, especially with the history of geishas
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Darkeyes34 (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via AIM to Darkeyes34
03-25-2010, 09:59 PM

I too am fascinated with japanese culture and would love to talk to someone who shares the same interests. I just recently started to learned japanese though I am only starting with the hiragana so I am very new. Drop me a pm or aim me if you ever feel like having a chat.

AIM=karbyx55

(#5 (permalink))
Old
Blitzwing85 (Offline)
マーク - 戦士

03-26-2010, 09:08 AM

Sorry guys i don't use AIM or anything. Thanks for the offer though.

I don't get much chance to go online at home as i'm often quite busy...so i spend 90% of my online time while i'm at work. Forums like this are fine, but i can't access chat related things etc.

Any idea how to get Japanese characters to display on my screen? All it shows is a load of boxes with numbers in them. The only character that displays is the Hiragan character for 'n'. Nonw of the others do.

I changed the settings ti display Japanese but nothing happened.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
packetpirate (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via AIM to packetpirate Send a message via MSN to packetpirate Send a message via Skype™ to packetpirate
03-26-2010, 08:37 PM

To get Japanese characters to display, you need to install support for East Asian Language Packs. To do this, go to Start > Control Panel. Find "Regional and Language Options". Open it and if you're in Windows XP, there should be a checkbox to install East Asian Language Packs. Do so. If you're on Vista, or Windows 7, go to the Keyboards and Languages tab. Click "Change Keyboards". In the new dialog box, click Add. Scroll down in the list to find "Japanese". Expand the tree and check off the checkbox for Japanese and Microsoft IME. Then just click okay and click okay to the rest of the dialog boxes to exit them. You should now be able to see Japanese characters and switch between keyboards to type in Japanese.

俺はサゲだ!
これが読みません。
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Blitzwing85 (Offline)
マーク - 戦士

03-30-2010, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by packetpirate View Post
To get Japanese characters to display, you need to install support for East Asian Language Packs. To do this, go to Start > Control Panel. Find "Regional and Language Options". Open it and if you're in Windows XP, there should be a checkbox to install East Asian Language Packs. Do so. If you're on Vista, or Windows 7, go to the Keyboards and Languages tab. Click "Change Keyboards". In the new dialog box, click Add. Scroll down in the list to find "Japanese". Expand the tree and check off the checkbox for Japanese and Microsoft IME. Then just click okay and click okay to the rest of the dialog boxes to exit them. You should now be able to see Japanese characters and switch between keyboards to type in Japanese.
Thanks for that. I was able to do it at home so can now read/type Japanese. However at work i don't have the admit rights so it won't work.
Shame really as i do almost everything at work.

Guess i'll just have to go on at home more.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Blitzwing85 (Offline)
マーク - 戦士

03-30-2010, 10:50 AM

Ha, i managed to get the computer department to give me authorisation to install the Japanese language pack.

こんいちは

Yay.