JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#211 (permalink))
Old
tokusatsufan (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-31-2011, 10:10 PM

Watashi wa is I am.

I wouldn't really call moving to Japan a dream for me because,I've been planning this for a couple of years,I've got a rough idea of what I'm going to do to earn money,I've been there once. My definition of a dream is something that might never happen,the unrealistic thing that you want. For me,that's writing tokusatsu,because,well,anime and manga are hard and I doubt television is much easier to get into. Japan is something that will definitely happen. I'm not going to rush into it,I want to live in Wales for a bit first,but I've gotta live my life too.
(#212 (permalink))
Old
astrogaijin (Offline)
JF Regular

05-31-2011, 10:33 PM

Well as the thread says, I want to live and work in Japan someday. I know it will be though to do and I plan to work hard to get there. I plan to major in Japanese in college (one year and 4 days of high school left) and to either double major or minor in astronomy. I hope to be able to do something astronomy related in Japan.
I always enjoy learning about Japanese culture, past and present.

Sorry if I've already posted this, I couldn't find it when I looked.

Last edited by astrogaijin : 05-31-2011 at 10:37 PM.
(#213 (permalink))
Old
Umihito (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-31-2011, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokusatsufan View Post
I want to live in Wales for a bit first,but I've gotta live my life too.
Woohoo, my place :L
What's got you wanting to live here?
(#214 (permalink))
Old
Umihito (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-31-2011, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrogaijin View Post
and to either double major or minor in astronomy.
I love astronomy too. I have no plans to study it as a subject though, or even go to university. But still, I enjoy being an amateur astronomer and looking for things with my (too) expensive telescope :L

Plus I'm a bit of a Sci Fi nerd too lol
(#215 (permalink))
Old
astrogaijin (Offline)
JF Regular

06-01-2011, 01:29 AM

@Umihito yea I love it. I'm a big scifi person. I love the Stargate series (Atlantis is my favorite show). I have a telescope that I got for Christmas but I don't have many chances to use it. Hopefully more this summer. I'm not sure if I want to have astronomy as double major or minor though. Since I love it but math and physics are not my best friends. But the type of astronomy I'm interested in is the study of extrasolar bodies (Europa is my favorite object) and not really the movement of stars or the physics of blackhole. I hope you get what I mean by that.
(#216 (permalink))
Old
ColinHowell (Offline)
JF Regular

06-01-2011, 02:02 AM

Quote:
I'm not sure if I want to have astronomy as double major or minor though. Since I love it but math and physics are not my best friends. But the type of astronomy I'm interested in is the study of extrasolar bodies (Europa is my favorite object) and not really the movement of stars or the physics of blackhole.
If you have trouble with math and physics, you may find an astronomy major to be a very tough hurdle, even if you focus on planetary-type bodies. The entire field absolutely depends on physics and math.

Also keep in mind that the primary goal of an astronomy major in university, as with many fields of college-level academic study, is to select out and train potential future professional astronomers. People who get through the major are then expected to go on to graduate-level Ph.D. work. Considering the low number of job opportunities in the field, this may be a risky path to follow.

(In case you're wondering, I'm stating this from personal experience. My field of study in college was planetary science, and I went on to graduate school in an astronomy department. Didn't work out, since by that point I had really lost the will to continue.)

I don't want to discourage you from studying a field you're interested in. I just wanted to warn you about what you might face depending on how deeply you get into it. Still, I would encourage you to study as much math and physics as you can handle, simply because they're so damned useful for understanding how the world works. Oh, and a decent math background makes physics a lot more comprehensible; calculus is one hell of a powerful mental tool.
(#217 (permalink))
Old
astrogaijin (Offline)
JF Regular

06-01-2011, 03:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinHowell View Post

I don't want to discourage you from studying a field you're interested in. I just wanted to warn you about what you might face depending on how deeply you get into it. Still, I would encourage you to study as much math and physics as you can handle, simply because they're so damned useful for understanding how the world works. Oh, and a decent math background makes physics a lot more comprehensible; calculus is one hell of a powerful mental tool.
I know this. I'm taking precalc next year and I took physics this year (which I'd say I did average in). It's ok that you say these things though. It's good to hear from actual people inside the field and not always the people saying that anything is possiable. But with math and physics is one of the reasons im debating wither or not to just make it as my minor since that won't be as extensive. I know it involves alot of math and physics and I'm sure I can make it through those. I'm not the type of person to give up on something as important as a class expescially if I'm interested in what it's teaching.
(#218 (permalink))
Old
Umihito (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-01-2011, 04:18 AM

Quote:
@Umihito yea I love it. I'm a big scifi person. I love the Stargate series (Atlantis is my favorite show). I have a telescope that I got for Christmas but I don't have many chances to use it. Hopefully more this summer. I'm not sure if I want to have astronomy as double major or minor though. Since I love it but math and physics are not my best friends. But the type of astronomy I'm interested in is the study of extrasolar bodies (Europa is my favorite object) and not really the movement of stars or the physics of blackhole. I hope you get what I mean by that.
My faves have to be Star Trek and Mass Effect (Xbox game), as well as good old Star Wars. Quite new to Stargate though, so I'm catching up atm :L
Exactly the same with me, maths and physics really weren't my good points of school, weird considering things I like seem to revolve around those things. :L

Yeah, I getcha
Me too, I prefer to look at galaxies and such though, Andromeda being a personal favourite.
(#219 (permalink))
Old
astrogaijin (Offline)
JF Regular

06-01-2011, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umihito View Post
My faves have to be Star Trek and Mass Effect (Xbox game), as well as good old Star Wars. Quite new to Stargate though, so I'm catching up atm
I love Mass Effect, I can't wait until 3 comes out. Star Wars is great also. You can't beat a classic.
(#220 (permalink))
Old
Cayla (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-01-2011, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokusatsufan View Post
Watashi wa is I am.

I wouldn't really call moving to Japan a dream for me because,I've been planning this for a couple of years,I've got a rough idea of what I'm going to do to earn money,I've been there once. My definition of a dream is something that might never happen,the unrealistic thing that you want. For me,that's writing tokusatsu,because,well,anime and manga are hard and I doubt television is much easier to get into. Japan is something that will definitely happen. I'm not going to rush into it,I want to live in Wales for a bit first,but I've gotta live my life too.
I kind of agree. I have hundreds of dreams that I want to happen,
but I KNOW would really be better off just a dream, but going to Japan
is not really one of "THOSE KINDS OF DREAMS". I have two dreams, To go to Japan, and
to meet Dieter Laser. Otherwise I don't want to do anything else (for real).
But the thing is, for me, if anyone wants something they can get it,
just by working hard, but not so much that they overwork it.
Because of course we all know that seriously getting addicted to something
isen't healthy. At all. Right now I'm not crazy about going to Japan
I'd just really like to go. I know thats like saying I want to but I don't want to... But anyway, its hard to explain sence I'm only 11.

Last edited by Cayla : 06-01-2011 at 01:54 PM.