JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   Member Art & Creativity (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/member-art-creativity/)
-   -   September Short Story Competition (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/member-art-creativity/18872-september-short-story-competition.html)

Eiri 09-10-2008 02:28 PM

O_o hmm okay works for me

Koyuki 09-10-2008 03:16 PM

is it okay if we have a "not to good grammar"? I'm afraid mine is bad T___T
BUt i want to join the contest..

MissMisa 09-10-2008 04:03 PM

I think I'll be joining this!

Okay this is mine. I hope it isn't the only entry! Get posting everyone ~

Quote:

Amy pressed her face against the window. Ice crept upon it, glistening in the bright morning sun, while wood worm ate away at the mahogany panes, leaving decaying slabs of wood scattered across the sill and gathering on the floor. Amy saw her pallid reflection in the glass, the ghostly grey eyes staring back. The ashen skin so pale looked limp and tired, the dark grey lines beneath her eyes indicated lost sleep, sleep that needed to be regained. The only sign of life lay upon the vivid colour on her lips, the crimson flow of life and blood.

Her awakening left her ravenous. She had slept so long she had forgotten what it was like to be quenched with full life. Her depressed expression was more than just melancholy; it was of devastation and betrayal. She barely remembered anything but the hot blood sizzling on her lips, the only essence of her existence.

Why now? Something must have woken her from her beautiful slumber. She was so content lying there, unable to think, unable to breathe, unable to lust for the blood of her life. Once she drank no more in reality, she thought that the ritual was to end and the curse lifted, but revived was she and hungry, more so than she had ever felt.

Her expression of devastation turned to that of deep anger. Enraged, she turned from the window, and made to find the person who had risen her. There, she would find her first meal.

Running down the flight of dusty spiral stairs, she hauled away the mahogany chest of draws that was blocking the main entranceway, sending a billowing cloud of dust and cobwebs whirling into the air. The atmosphere was musty and damp, the house untouched for hundreds of years. Sifts of light shone through the patched up windows, something Amy had not seen since she last closed her eyes.

Finally, the heavy door opened to reveal bursts of blinding icy sunlight – but wait? The land before her eyes stretched out for miles and miles, baron, plain, and still. Nothing stirred, nothing made a sound. The whole landscape had been transformed into vast piles of rubble and sand. What had once been a bustling village was now desolate and lonely. No-one was to be seen beyond the horizon, there were no fields, mountains, trees or birds. Just nothing, like the limbo between heaven and hell, with a sprinkle of icy mist. ‘So this is why I was awoken,’ whispered Amy to herself, her eyes wide with awe, ‘This is the end of the world.’

Altaru 09-11-2008 01:30 AM

Nice! Our first entry, and definately a strong competitor.

Grammer issues are excusable, so long as you can get your point across. If people can understand what you're trying to say, go for it.

CrazyLee 09-11-2008 06:46 AM

Oh thisnis going to be quite interesting. I have a question though.
Can we choose the area/world to work in?

CrazyLee 09-11-2008 09:04 AM

Here's my entry. Its been a while since I've wrote anything like this, makes me wonder why I ever stopped.

Quote:

Dawn. The sun rising over the mountains revealed what was once a beautiful land now ruined. All that was left was a wasteland. Fields of wheat, maize and other crops all destroyed. Some of the fires still burned in the distance where the locals had been unable to put out the fires. Bodies of those who had tried to save their livelihood lay strewn around, most burned beyond recognition. But some, some where different. Some of the bodies were slightly paler, almost as if the life had been drained right out of them.

Khalos kneeled next to one of these bodies, examining it closely. He had seen many corpses in his life, and this one wasn’t one of the nicest. Still he kept his composure whilst he worked; checking the pockets of what was once a peasant. His partner on the other hand was still violently throwing up what small breakfast she’d had when they first saw the fires. She’d been travelling with him for a few years now, but still had trouble when it came to fresh corpses of the living. Wiping her mouth she turned, the dark leather of her cloak rustling slightly in the wind.

“Found anything?” she asked, still standing a little way from the body.
“Yes. It was as we feared.” Khalos rose, turning towards her. “The wounds on his neck are too similar to yours for it to be anything other than one of them.”
She shuddered, remembering the experience. It had been 5 years and still it gave her nightmares. Not that she would admit it anyway.
“What happens now?” she asked, knowing the answer but hoping, pleading that it would be different. He gave her an appraising look, already knowing that she was afraid of the answer. Calmly he walked past her, picking up his pack and slinging it over his shoulder in the process.
“We go after whatever it was that did this. Maybe we can get some recompense for the destruction to the crops here. Either way it ends here.”
Following after him, she notices the small group of peasants trying to find any crops left after the fires.
“And what of the locals? Can we not help them, in some way?” Her voice was no longer pleading, she believed that these people needed there help above all else now. Khalos looked at the peasants, at the way they worked in the fields.
“No. All we can do to help is ensure no-one else suffers the same fate,” He looked at her, noticing a single strand of red hair had fallen past her hood, his gaze boring deep into her, “For these people, the world has just ended.”

Eiri 09-12-2008 01:41 PM

here's mine

Short Stoy Entry: As the world ends

Alexia woke with a start, not remembering where she was, she looked around saw a chair over turned, a small table with two of its legs broken, she looked at the walls, they were painted a lavender color and the window was to her left, the bed she was in bore white sheets and a blue comforter but otherwise the room was plain. Then she began to remember, the night before was slightly blurry, she’d been walking the entire day before and well into the night when she found the empty house. She got up, stretched and ignored the complaint that her legs gave her and went to look out the window of the house she was in, and with the rising sun she saw the devastation of town. Since she was close to passing out the night before, and the fact the she couldn’t see much, she never got to study her surroundings well. Most of the buildings were either burned down or collapsed. Bodies of the dead littered the roads, some with burns, others crushed between cars or crushed by the debris of the collapsed buildings. She looked away, flashes of her mother’s face and screams threaten to take her, she pushed the memories back but not fast enough, she saw it all over again.

Two weeks ago the world was going about its business, when something happened. No one new what or why but whatever it was, was causing fires to spring up everywhere, buildings to collapse, massive sinkholes were devastating the bigger cities, volcanoes were erupting, tsunami’s were threatening the worlds shores, in some places the land was reforming, rock pushing up from underground creating small mountains everywhere and people and animals were dropping dead like death was having a race with itself to see how many it could kill. Alexia was at her second job when it all began, listening on the radio as the strange events spread itself across the world like a ripple, then she her own building started to shake and at the same time got a call on her cell, it was one of her parents neighbors, her parents house was on fire. She rushed to her parents but she was late, their house was burning down, as was the rest of the neighborhood. She heard and saw her mother scream as she tried to run thru the window to get out, she ran to help he but a firefighter grabbed her and got her away form the scene. At the same moment the house collapsed.

Alexia let the memory sink in, for the first time in six years, she cried. Tears were flowing there way out and running down her cheek. In the line of work she never showed her true emotions, but now she let herself cry a bit as she remembered the events of that day. She had ran back to her apartment building which was still standing and being evacuated and ran up to her second floor apartment. By now her assassin/military training was kicked on and was speeding thru everything she needed before she left. She ransacked her closet for clothes, maps, guns, some ammo, radio and her favorite boots. She grabbed a bag dumped everything in it, quickly changed into her black jeans, black shirt and out the door she left. Since then she’d been traveling towards her headquarters only to find it in ruins and everyone dead. She’d been listening to the radio, someone had broadcasted a very interesting theory as to what happened and she was headed towards the broadcasters location, she kept the radio on the same channel but occasionally heard the other ones, and of course everyone had a multitude of theories, but they all agreed on one thing, it was the end of the world.

Salvanas 09-12-2008 04:42 PM

Wo.w that's a VERY short story. Is there any limit on how many words? Since my stories are usually effective when they are long. But if you give me the room, I can make my stories short, et long enough to give me room. IS there a set limit?

Thunda 09-12-2008 06:38 PM

I may enterrrrs o.o :p someone needs to be the last too

Salvanas 09-13-2008 03:05 AM

Story moved to the fourth page.