Old
Payne222 (Offline)
un américain

10-18-2008, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emiluvsjmusic View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
Or you could make it that they are actually two personalities inside the head of one person.
????????????
XDDDDD

Ahahaha.

That was a good one.
(#32 (permalink))
Old
DSX (Offline)
I MUY LOCO!!!!

10-18-2008, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Or you could make it that they are actually two personalities inside the head of one person.
No. The antagonist in The LoP Killer gets MPD along with other disorders.

(#33 (permalink))
Old
Keaton421 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

10-18-2008, 07:20 AM

Quote:
The inevitable sex scene would be frickin' sweet
(#34 (permalink))
Old
DSX (Offline)
I MUY LOCO!!!!

10-18-2008, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keaton421 View Post
The inevitable sex scene would be frickin' sweet

Well, I'll tell you two things:

1. They do have two different personalities, but it's still not MPD. It has to be above natural with this. Get where I'm going?

2. It'll be sweet, but abstinence is a bitch. Guess which one does it.

(#35 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

10-18-2008, 08:38 PM

Since this is about your story and not about homosexuality in Japan, I am going to move it to User Creativity.
(#36 (permalink))
Old
DSX (Offline)
I MUY LOCO!!!!

10-18-2008, 08:43 PM

Alrighty. No problem with me.

(#37 (permalink))
Old
Ningyou (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via AIM to Ningyou
11-22-2008, 12:48 AM

It's not shunned upon in Japan but it's not fully accepted either.

I saw a Japanese movie about a lesbian couple. Maybe you could find it on crunchyroll.com or a website like that, but it's called "Love My Life" and it would really help you with your story
(#38 (permalink))
Old
DSX (Offline)
I MUY LOCO!!!!

11-24-2008, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ningyou View Post
It's not shunned upon in Japan but it's not fully accepted either.

I saw a Japanese movie about a lesbian couple. Maybe you could find it on crunchyroll.com or a website like that, but it's called "Love My Life" and it would really help you with your story
I'll check it out. Thanks.

(#39 (permalink))
Old
Arikado (Offline)
Elegant Rocker

Send a message via AIM to Arikado Send a message via MSN to Arikado
11-25-2008, 12:11 AM

I fully support your idea of writing a lesbian love story, since I'm a fan of yuri myself, but if you haven't read/watched that many lesbian stories/films, then I recommend you go do that...like, a LOT. This will give you a much broader and in-depth perspective of the genre. I've read a good number of yuri stories, whether it be manga, fanfics (omg >.>), or novels, and I can say with confidence that the way you perceive love between two females will drastically change the more you look into it. It's not always the "masculine female/feminine female" pairing.

Hope that helps ¦3

Member of the Metal Club
"Ignorance is the night of the mind, but a night without moon and star" -孔夫子
(#40 (permalink))
Old
typing (Offline)
JF Regular

11-26-2008, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSX View Post
1. Cliche? The two are almost total opposites in personality. I'm doing the opposites attract kinda thing...Kinda...

2. Yuri is a common girl's name in Japan, last time I checked. I gave Yuri her name to present irony. Seeing as how Yuri=lilies in translation, and Yuri is so dark....

EDIT: Yuri isn't totally what you think. Sure, she's tomboyish, but she isn't butch. The two are both femmes, it's just that Yuri is kinda the man in this one...

I guess you can call Otome a hippie. She just doesn't do drugs though. That, and she has much better fashion sense then to wear headbands and clothes with those trippy colors.

Oh, and I don't wanna make them Arab. It'll mess up the storyline for what I have planned. It'll VERY mess it up.
1) Homosexuality is for the most part accepted in the sense that it's generally ignored. Come on, you're talking about a country where Lesbians are a common feature of comic books and the Gay comic book market is friggen HUGE. Unrequented love story in Japan? You're gonna have to do some SERIOUS research and make it into one madly serious story (and probably need to set it back about 20-30 years) to make it stand out from every other lesbian comic book out there.

2) The commonality of Yuri as a girls name comes and goes but you're generally right I know like... 5 or 6 Yuri"something" More common is Yuri being the nickname and the full name Yuriko or Yurika But adding a Ko (child) kanji to the end of the name, that popularity comes and goes. (So the 3-5 year old range right now it's popular again, but the 14-18 range it's not so popular for their parents, but the 30-ish it's popular as well...
I teach a lot of age groups.) I'd reccomend a different name just because someone sees "Lesbian" and "Yuri" chances are they won't take your book seriously.

3) And this one's important.

Goth in Japan.
Goth in Japan society isn't the same as Goth in American Society.

Goth kids in America are seen as dark, depressed and morbid. However Goth in Japan is seen as dark, fashionable and cute. They have "My friend death" characters on pink t-shirts in Harajuku, and I see old women riding the train in fingerless gloves with pink skulls and crossboans on them, in a country where everyones hair is black and just dying it brown is like WOAH (unless your over 60, THEN you can dye it red, green or any colour under the sun ). Plus, since the majority of school involve uniforms (and the lower class your school is the less control you have over your uniform) chances are unless someone knows her well, and outside of school, no one would have a clue how she dresses in her free time. And if it was "Goth" she's not going to be a loner because well first off, Goth clothes here are friggen EX-PEN-SIVE and designer. And secondly there's a whole culture of it so she'd have lots of people to hang out with.

Good Girls in Japan in comparison with Good Girls in America.

What you describle Otome as isn't what I'd say is outragiously good. In fact I'd say she's just an adverage girl. It's a little odd of her to be Vegetarian (And a little impossible in Japan unless she want's to cook EVERYTHING herself) But you're talking about a society that is vegitable heavy, meat is usually a treat, and is Bhuddhist and Shinto by majority. WHY is she a vegetarian? Religious reasons? Moral reasons? How did she get to believe that way? And what kind of Vegetarian? Does she eat fish? Milk products? egg?
The Hippy movement never really came to Japan, well... I guess it did in a way with the Omshinrikyo and the student protests. But then one has to consider that the Japanese hippy movement involved violent killer cults and violent protests.
So hippys here arn't all that peace loving.
People protest here but not that much and it takes a long time to get people riled up to protest. There were protests for the Olympic games, you see people asking for unicef donations outside of stations sometimes. My school has a WWF club where they do bake sales to raise money to send to save animals but those girls arn't hippies, they're normal. And frankly I think most "Hippies" here are the same. Just regular people whom, instead of going to the gym or spending money on clothes, send letters to congress and spend money on donations and charities.

My biggest complaint so far with your story is that the whole story revolves around the relationship of two girls. Both girls are flat, random people that you just slapped a stereotype on without knowing very much about how those stereotypes are different in the country you decided to place these girls in.
Even trying to run them as opposites is a flat concept as hippies and goths being both generaly considered "Social rejects" are not DIE ENEMIES (oh noes!) so it's not like their circles of friends would be all that far apart.

I have great faith in fools -- self confidence my friends call it. -- Edgar Allan Poe