JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Archie (Offline)
New to JF

Question Making dolls clothes - 08-22-2010, 09:21 PM

I am making OOAK clothes for BJDs and need a torso display stand to show them. I cannot afford a1/3 size BJD at present. I found one on-line the other day for £45.00 but now I've forgotten the site. The only one I can find now is on the Volks dollfie site for $218.00 which is tooo expensive. Does anyone know where I can find one cheaper?
(#2 (permalink))
Old
edelweiss (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-22-2010, 09:46 PM

You should probably try asking on a BJD related site like Den of Angels or Angels Unlimited. It is rather unlikely you will find your answer on this site, not really an active group of BJD people here.

I happen to know quite a bit about BJDs, I'm a collector myself. The only dress form I have seen is the one from Volks, but I am not a seamstress so I don't really go looking for that kind of item.

What size are you sewing for? I know you said 1/3 but are we talking 58cm, 60cm, 65cm? Taller? Boys or girls? Which doll body types are you aiming for as your market? If I come across something it would be better to know what doll type you are looking to fit the clothing to.

Last edited by edelweiss : 08-22-2010 at 09:59 PM.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Archie (Offline)
New to JF

OOAK costumes - 08-26-2010, 09:27 AM

Thank you for your reply. I want to make the clothes suitable for as many 1/3 size dolls as possible but I'm looking at Dollfie SD as a benchmark. Many brands have size tolerances that my costumes can be adapted to. I've looked on the sites you suggested and may have to accept forking out a bit more than I wanted to to get the right display torso. But your input much appreciated.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
edelweiss (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-28-2010, 03:01 AM

Just in case this helps,

I have about forty 60-70cm BJDs and one 80cm BJD in my house. I have all of the Super Dollfie body types Volks makes (SD, SD13, SD16, SD17 and SDGr) and there are about 25 companies represented in my group. The doll in my avatar is a Volks SD16 girl.

Fitting things to a Volks brand doll is a good idea as they are considered "standard" size so things made for them has a chance of fitting a doll from another brand. But with all of the shapes and sizes being made these days you can't expect to hit a broad cross-section even if your clothing is somewhat adjustable. Girl doll's dimensions can be very different, out of the 10 girl dolls I have none of them are able to share clothing. Really only my 60-65cm boy dolls have an easy time fitting the same things, though some of them are also odd proportions.

Let me know if you have any other questions.